Options

T@B PahaQue Cover

Opened up the cover this afternoon for first time. Fabric is different and much heavier than that on our 5 Wide. Obviously weighs a lot more.
Has anyone used theirs yet? Is there a secret to installing it. Looks like it's going to take 4 people and 4 ladders minimum. Also looks like it might chaff the finish too. Not something you want to do but once a year. What's your experience?

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I figure it will take an extended pole (painter's pole maybe), put a pool noodle or pipe insulation around it so you won't scratch your T@B,  put the pole under the cover, and use it to lift the cover up and over the T@B.  That's just how I would attempt it.  I don't have one--I've only had the cover on my 4-wide.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    I have one.......but, but, but, it is still in the bag......sorry, no help here.
  • Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169

I was also surprised and concerned when I first received that cover, but I do put it on by myself far more easily than I first feared.  

I lay the cover on the pavement along the door side of the T@B, with the door opening of the cover down and the cover's open bottom facing the trailer.  I then tie a fairly soft cotton rope (clothesline type) to thecover's black uppermost loop near the trailer door, and throw the line (rope) over he T@B just ahead of the fan vent (I am also using the Aeroflow vent rain cover). I place a stepladder by the trailer driver side, move up so my shoulders are even or above the edge of the trailer roof, and pull the rope to start the cover over the top of the trailer.  I have no problem pulling the near side of the cover over the vent and a bit down the side of the T@B because this does not involve pulling the full weight of the cover.  It’s then easy to pull the cover across and straighten it. 

I finish using a tip from another forum member (I can’t remember who) by attaching a bungee cord to a the front black cover loop loop and to a broom (mine has a hanger loop at the top), pushing the broom under the trailer, walking around to pull the broom, grab the bungee cord, and attach it to the far side front black cover loop.  Repeat the bungee ties to the rear pair of black loops, and put the ladder away.

The cover pulls over the edge much easier than I anticipated, and I cannot see any marring of the roof/side edge.

I expect you will find this easier than you anticipate.  I’m 73 and don’t have to work hard at this.  Good luck.

Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options
    CgullettCgullett Member Posts: 20
    edited April 2015
    We just purchased our 2014 T@b, and ordered the cover. I've not tried installing it alone, but my wife and I can install it in just a couple of minutes. We lay it out over the propane cover and then it easily slides up and over the T@b with one of us pulling on each side. The biggest hassle is getting the elastic cords under the trailer, which we handle by connecting one end to the cover, the other to a hitch wrench, and the sliding it to the other side. Still, not much more than a 5 minute job.
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    I found that ours is easily a one person job.  I lay it, unfolded and upside down, on the ground behind the T@B. I then take either corner of the front edge and start to pull it over the trailer.  It slides on very easily, pulling along the edge to feed it over the top.  Occasionally you may have to go over to the other side to feed the edge along.  Once it is reachable from the front, just take the front edge and pull it down.  Slides very easily.

I had a local canvass shop make three modifications.  First was a vent on each side near the top.  This allows any wind to exit the cover and not make it act like a big parachute.  Second they added nylon web straps and clips to fasten underneath instead of the bungee cords (which are useless in a strong wind.) Third was a flap over the furnace exhaust so that I could turn the heater on in the winter if I was working inside.

Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Good stuff and I like your modifications to the cover as they make perfectly good sense.  I sent your modifications and explanation for each on to Jeff Basford at Paha Que.  Well done!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283

You guys were correct. Wasn't as difficult to put on as I had feared, even with the Yakima rack, tire and beer can AC vent on the roof.  One man job with ladder. Think I'll take it to an awning place and have them add several more lashing-loops too.

Now...how to get it off?

• Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237

You guys were correct. Wasn't as difficult to put on as I had feared, even with the Yakima rack, tire and beer can AC vent on the roof.  One man job with ladder. Think I'll take it to an awning place and have them add several more lashing-loops too.

Now...how to get it off?

As you are taking it to an awning shop, I would strongly recommend that you have them put in vents on the sides at the top so that the wind doesn't try and lift it like a parachute.  I had mine blow off in a strong wind and had the vents put in (along with other modifications) and it works much better now.  The vents also help with ventilation on hot sunny days.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited April 2015
    I did get a response back on the upgrades from Paha Que.  Jeff Basford thought you had some good ideas Ray and they will look into installing vents in future covers and incorporating this into their design.  He did note however that due to the fact that there are different versions of the T@B unit they wouldn't add an opening by the furnace vent area.  He also said that he couldn't do it as it could be a potential fire/safety hazard, especially if someone forgot to open it and properly ventilate the unit.  

Some good ideas nonetheless and thanks for sharing them on the forum!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ