Options

Winching into garage?

BentrBentr Member Posts: 58
We had to stow our T@B for the first time yesterday and parked it, as planned, in the driveway just in front of our garage. [modding doorway and raising roof of garage so T@B will fit inside is this summer's project!]

Our driveway is narrow and somewhat uphill and the garage is at the back (and I'm not exactly a trailer-backing rockstar) so backing the T@B into place was something of an ordeal. I'm thinking that, in the future I could make things much faster and easier if I had some sort of winch attached to the rear wall of the garage and a way to hook it up to the rear of the trailer. I could then just unhitch from the car at the mouth of the driveway, hook up the winch and use the tongue to steer while applying winch power with a remote. Anyone have a setup like this or have any suggestions for winch-model and/or connection point on T@B?

Thanks!

Ben
Ben Trelease & Eleanor Bell - Seattle, WA - 2009 T@B Bell@luna TV Subaru Forester

Comments

• Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Our situation is not quite the same, we have a storage unit which has access from both sides, but, we can't back up to the unit, narrow driveways.  We push our T@B into position, then drive to the other side and hook a portable 12 volt winch, purchased at Walmart.  The winch has an adapter that hangs onto the trailer ball on our Jeep and works off the Jeep battery.  It has a wired remote winch control, which keeps you clear of a cable snap.  Sells for $70 and works great.  Possibly, a trailer ball hitch mounted to the studs of the garage might work? But you still need a 12 volt source.

The only thing I can think of a somewhat secure attachment from the rear, would be the axle.  Otherwise, pull it from the front and pivot the trailer in the garage.

Just some thoughts.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Bentr said:

Our driveway is narrow and somewhat uphill and the garage is at the back (and I'm not exactly a trailer-backing rockstar) so backing the T@B into place was something of an ordeal. I'm thinking that, in the future I could make things much faster and easier if I had some sort of winch attached to the rear wall of the garage and a way to hook it up to the rear of the trailer. I could then just unhitch from the car at the mouth of the driveway, hook up the winch and use the tongue to steer while applying winch power with a remote. 
    I think that anything is possible and can be built to match your needs.  But structural integrity (of the garage wall) would need to be there to accommodate the pull of the T@B unit uphill and the winch would need to be able to handle the load.  I worked for the power company in the electric end of the business for 40 years and have seen some crazy things happen during the lifting of loads, stringing in line conductors, etc. and I would want to risk pulling a trailer uphill via any winch line.  No doubt it can be done, but I would rather back the trailer up (take some time to practice) and accomplish this task without a winch.  

One thing about backing the smaller trailers is that it does take practice (and patience) and is best accomplished taking it slow and easy.  I know that it is frustrating for many people but one trick when looking over your shoulder is to grab the steering wheel at its lowest point and turn the wheel in the direction you want the trailer to go.  

I believe that this is the winch referred to in the post above this one:   

Portable-Winch-12V-Hitch-Boat-Trailer-Remote-Control-Electric-Boat-Truck-ATV-Car
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Thanks Mike, I appreciate the caution about the strength of both the garage wall and the winch/cable itself. I've got a friend who is an architect and a son who's an engineer so I'll definitely be consulting with them about how to understand the loads involved. I completely agree as well about the need for practice - I need a lot of it!
    Ben Trelease & Eleanor Bell - Seattle, WA - 2009 T@B Bell@luna TV Subaru Forester
  • Options
    Mike_in_AtlantaMike_in_Atlanta Member Posts: 17
    If you're committed to go with a winch, I suggest you securely mount it to the floor rather than the wall if at all possible.   However, I agree with Mike that you really ought to use your tow vehicle to back it in.  You're going to need to be able to back up with it while you're on the road anyway.

Mike
  • Options
    Ben,

I cannot emphasize enough the need to practice with these trailers, even if it means driving to a remote spot in a mall parking lot with your unit and practice backing it into a parking spot.  Slow is better as these units are impacted by any minute movement of the steering wheel.  And when you are looking over your shoulder and have your hand on the top of the steering wheel you need to turn the wheel in the opposite direction you want the trailer to go.  

Here is a video that will help you out and don't feel bad as we all have to practice and hone this new skill.  Backing a trailer up requires patience as I noted before.  There are times when I pull up to a potential site and I will get out first, examine the camp site, look for any obstacles and impediments like rocks, tree roots, picnic tables, fire pits, electric pedestal, water hook-up, etc. so that you can mentally gather these things in to eliminate damaging the trailer or the utility, etc.  You'll notice also that some of these items have been hit and damaged by other campers as well.  Bottom line, slower is best and short movement on the steering wheel and back in slowly as any movement via the steering wheel is magnified.

Check this out as there is some great info here and I do use the scoop as it does make backing in easier.  

https://youtu.be/RLtfrBWzNCw?t=15
  • Options

Hi Mike. Not committed to the winch and thanks for the suggestion about floor mounting it. If I end up going with a winch that is likely going to be the best way to go.

The problem is not really backing up in general - I'm not great at it but was able to get it into camping spots along our trip fairly easily. It's that our driveway is extremely narrow (I'd say there is about 4-6" of clearance on either side with the trailer dead center, with our house on one side and a fence on the other) and the narrow street in front makes doing any sort of jockeying really challenging. Give me a few years and maybe I'll be able to ninja it but in the meantime I want to be able to get the trailer stowed without blocking traffic for 15 minutes :-)

I'm going to look at powered trailer dollies as well. If I can find a used one I might be able to solve the problem that way without paying too much extra $$ and without having to worry about breaking the garage.

• Options
    Awesome video Mike, thanks!
  • Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    Here is a link to a recently posted YouTube video about moving a T@B with a Trailer Valet that you might find useful. http://youtu.be/f6XAui1-K8o
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

I spent 2 months in Seattle working in 1977 (yeah, a long time ago), and a week in 2011 on vacation.  I do understand the conditions of the narrow driveways, backing up an Indiana Bell Telephone work van (we weren't allowed to pull into driveways or parking spaces).

I suggest that you go to a parking lot and somehow recreate your driveway....and practice, practice, practice.  You will get so much better if you're no longer afraid of the closeness of your driveway.  No one keeps track of how many times we need to pull up a bit to straighten up.  Whatever it takes to get your T@B into your garage, is worth not hurting yourself with a winch.

The Silver Shadows and the 4-wides (my experiences) have a much shorter tongue in relationship to the body and length of the T@B's.  Trust me....the T@B's are somewhat easier.

Oh, and by the way, when I got back after driving 11 hours in one day from my return trip from Arizona, it did take me 3 times to get backed into my driveway.  It was dark, two cars were waiting patiently for me to get backed in and I couldn't see because of the darkness and how tired I was.  I was angry because I normally "nail" my driveway the first time, although I don't do it in a completely straight line--it's hard with such short tongue lengths.

Good luck......practice, practice, practice!

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Mercator, that is pretty cool but here in the south we tend towards a more low budget redneck solution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvyU6KwptAA

mike
  • Options
    Awesome!!!!  LOL
  • Options

I don't know Mike, this one is pretty dang McGiver-esque...

https://youtu.be/V3AM88sfDuc

• Options
    TabsterTabster Member Posts: 118
    It works. I do it. The winch is mounted to a block wall and the cable runs down to a roller and then along the ground. 
    My driveway is fairly short but steep and the tab needs to go to the side of the drive where there is no "ramp" up the curb. I back her in as best as possible then attach the winch cable, chock the wheels, and unhitch. I had to go with a hand crank winch as there is no electricity out there. So..., i aim and push her in the direction i want, crank the winch, aim and push, crank. Repeat. Its the only way i can do it alone. Tedious for sure but gits er done. I'm thinking about running power out there and going with an electric with a remote. (my original plan). Had to get this done quick so went with a $30 winch from harbor freight. 
    My wall is cinder block but the blocks are filled with concrete. Took 2 days to drill the mounting holes. Bolts go all the way through and have several GIANT washers on the back side to spread the load. 
    Works beautifully
    2015 CS. Ford f150 v8. Southern california
  • Options
    Mercator, that is pretty cool but here in the south we tend towards a more low budget redneck solution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvyU6KwptAA

mike
    I love that one!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Tabster - maybe you can get a 12v winch and use the battery in your T@B to power it.

mike
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I love these redneck solutions! They're excellent!

But I think the one with the hand-crank would be easier on my rocked-out, over-sensitive ears.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    I put a 2" ball on my riding mower and move the T@B all over the place.
  • Options
    Sgtjohn said:
    I put a 2" ball on my riding mower and move the T@B all over the place.
    I can see a potential Darwin Award (nominee or winner) with that one on a steep incline.   
  • Options
    CCPICCCCPICC Member Posts: 43
    I had the builder of my house make the garage door 8 feet high so that I could back the T@B in with my truck it makes it so easy to store and its out of the elements all winter.
  • Options
    sgttikisgttiki Member Posts: 92
    CCPICC said:
    I had the builder of my house make the garage door 8 feet high so that I could back the T@B in with my truck it makes it so easy to store and its out of the elements all winter.

Since I'm still deciding on whether, or not to go T@B and closely studying all of the great information all of you provide (THANK YOU ALL!), I was wondering about garage storage. Will the T@B it into a standard height garage? What is the actual height, from ground to top of vent, of a T@B?

My thoughts are, if need be, remove the T@B wheels, and lower it onto (Harbor Freight) wheel dollies. However, there's always a possibility the T@B may still be just a bit too high and end up being stored outside in the Florida sun, which is a NO GO for me. Would love to hear from all you current T@B owners about this. 

• Options
    sgttiki said:
    CCPICC said:

Since I'm still deciding on whether, or not to go T@B and closely studying all of the great information all of you provide (THANK YOU ALL!), I was wondering about garage storage. Will the T@B it into a standard height garage? What is the actual height, from ground to top of vent, of a T@B?

My thoughts are, if need be, remove the T@B wheels, and lower it onto (Harbor Freight) wheel dollies. However, there's always a possibility the T@B may still be just a bit too high and end up being stored outside in the Florida sun, which is a NO GO for me. Would love to hear from all you current T@B owners about this. 

Do a search (upper right corner) for steel disks. There are some solutions in a previous discussion.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Not sure there is such a thing as a standard garage height. The spec height of a T@B is 89" per the Web site and I would allow for a bit of a margin to account for minor variation. You can measure the height of your garage door when opened and know pretty quickly if your T@B will fit inside. For me, the time and effort involved in taking off the wheels every time I stored it would mean I would end up using the trailer far less often (and not at all for short overnight trips) so you might consider that as well. Maybe a cover would protect it from the sun Or you could erect a pre-fab shelter instead without spending too much money.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    When I had my garage for the T@B built, I had a winch mounted to the back wall on studs before the sheetrock was put in. However, my T@B garage is behind my house, so I pulled the truck up alongside and we put the T@B on the left side pushing it in, so I was hooking the winch to the front of the T@B.  I have since purchased and installed the following:

www.purplelineusa.com

So now I simply drive the T@B in with a remote control
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    The purplelineusa.com looks interesting! Pricey for me though, but looks even better than the motorized hitch dolly. I saw the dealer move a big trailer with one of those small motorized hitch dollies (on level ground). I didn't know they were so expensive!  If you have a steep driveway (as well as narrow), even something like that might not be strong enough. 

At a Teardrop gathering, we were camping at the top of a crazy wet slope and the land owner used his (relative new) medium-sized tractor to pull the teardrops up the hill (somehow I made it up the hill in my Rav4 + LG Reverse TD). I've pulled things upwards on a slight slope with an old (yet medium-sized) narrow-front-wheeled tractor and could feel the front end lift a bit.  A tractor mower would work for slow level pulling, but I'd cringe if I saw one used to pull a nearly #2000 T@B (I know some are lighter) up any sort of slope.

I have to back the Tabitha into an 8 ft wide (yet short) driveway that has two fence posts on either side and miss the Harley Softail Deluxe that is parked in it. I have to go in at an angle so the tail end of the T@B doesn't point towards the chainlink fence running nearly flush to the driveway on one side. It's doable and it's all about practice. It doesn't help if someone has parked their car across the street in front of my driveway either. It makes almost for a right angle driver's side turn. The key for me is to remember to remove the stabilizer bar!! I didn't have one on the popup I had for 13 yrs or on the LG Reverse Teardrop. The Tabitha tracks so well, I forget the stabilizer bar is on the hitch.

Each TV is different and reacts differently to backing up. If you are that concerned, give the purplelineusa people a call and ask if their system would work for you. Like I said, it looks really interesting and their website said there was a lifetime guarantee on the rollers. 

Let us know what you end up doing! 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    Glad to find this post, as I have a troublesome driveway set up for parking.  As a first time RV owner and second time puller of something behind a vehicle, I am challenged with navigating and parking.  I actually thought about a winch for my Jeep this weekend, but never thought about one in my garage.  
    I know it's all about practice, but, I still have a parking issue to overcome.  My driveway is steep and sloped towards the street.  My current technique is to drive forward up the driveway into the garage and then have a friend help me detach and swing the T@B just behind the second garage stall on the far left.  When I don't have a friend, it has to be parked on the street, temporarily.  Right now, backing it up mostly results in jack-knifing and I have watched the video Mike posted.  I was thinking of investing in a trailer dolley, so I could attach and detach myself, but not sure whether it will work.  Of course, my biggest fear is the T@B getting loose and rolling down the yard.  Any advice or recommendations are appreciated.
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    If your backing up often ends in a jack knife it just means you don't correct soon enough and you are over correcting.  Go find a big open parking lot like a JC on the weekend and just practice backing up in a straight line.  Then do very minor turns.  It is really not hard, but it is a learned skill, nobody was born with the skill to back up a trailer.

By the way my driveway is not long, but it is very steep and has a compound curve that makes the parking a challange.  I view it as a fun challange and don't get rattled even if the neighbors come out to watch.  Many a time I pull all the way out and start over.  The best advice I got was to remember that the little trailer turns very quick, sometimes to quick, so easy short corrections to the wheel work best.

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    edited May 2015
    oh by the way, on the purplineusa power movers, if anyone is serious, look on ebay. That's where I got mine. It was listed for $999 on ebay with "make an offer" I offered $899, and they accepted right away. If you have a Dutchmen T@B, read my review on the purpleline usa site. You will need some extra parts for the Al-Ko frame. Also google for the European install Youtube video, and the European owners manual. Little Guy T@Bs should be able to install the unit as it comes in the box.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I bet with a little practice you could get it up close to the garage where it is flat and then use a regular trailer dolly from there. You have some room on both sides of the driveway for a little error until you get better.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    sgttikisgttiki Member Posts: 92
    sgttiki said:
    CCPICC said:

• Options

sgttiki said:

If you do a search on "garage", there are a few existing discussions about how some T@B owners have stored their T@Bs in their garage.
    Verna, Columbus, IN