Options

Where do you take your T@B for tire/brake service

BentrBentr Member Posts: 58

Took a look at the tires on my (new!) 2009 DM and the date on the tires is 2008. Actually, only one tire even had the date, the other was completely smooth in the little oval where the date is supposed to be. Obviously the tires need to be replaced ASAP and I figure I ought to have the brakes inspected as well. There is a good T@B dealer north of Seattle but its about a 30 minute drive and I'm wondering if I would do just as well taking the trailer to a Les Schwab close by. Wondering where you all have had good luck getting simple work like this done?

Thanks!

Ben

Ben Trelease & Eleanor Bell - Seattle, WA - 2009 T@B Bell@luna TV Subaru Forester

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I don't have brakes on my trailer but I would call around the local area you're in, get an idea who services the trailer brakes and find a good wrench to service them.  You could also call around to local RV dealers and they should be able to give you recommendations and possibly quotes for service work.  I would think that your larger RV dealers would have a service area and be able to service your trailer.  I use Google a lot and look for reviews and places like Angie's list also have feedback and ratings for various services listed.  

And if you are mechanically inclined you could also look at the brakes, inspect them and perform your own maintenance on them as there is a ton of information available and even YouTube videos that will give you instructional information.  The locals should know who does good service work too and if it were me I would ask around, even in the local auto parts stores as they know who is qualified and who performs this type of work as well.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    The DM T@Bs came with passenger tires, and most of us replace with the same.  You probably knew that....as well as the fact you have surge brakes.  
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    geromogeromo Member Posts: 33
    I have been advised by two local dealers when i replace my ST205-75-14 to use bias belted tires that i currently have. They say the radials have soft sidewalls and will "on occasion" cause some swaying where the bias tire has stiff sidewalls. Most trailer tires crack/split before they run out due to mileage. Has anyone else heard this or am i being played?
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    geromo, In my opinion I would stick with the ST(Trailer Service) bias-ply tires. I'm pretty sure that there are radial tires for the big trailers now. The ST tires are designed for doing a lot of sitting and the sidewall compounds don't dry rot and crack as quickly as a passenger tire would do to UV rays, so yes, most trailer tires do crack before the tread wears out, unless you really put a lot of miles on them.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    BentrBentr Member Posts: 58

Thanks Crystal! I did know both of those things although I'm not sure what the difference between passenger and trailer tires are. And I assume surge breaks still need adjusting or need new pads on occasion - is that correct?

Ben Trelease & Eleanor Bell - Seattle, WA - 2009 T@B Bell@luna TV Subaru Forester