Options

Shower door shattered last winter during the night

I have a 2016 CSS and I do a fair amount of winter camping and during the night last winter while I was fast asleep counting sheep, I was awaken by a loud noise, like a loud bang. I could here what sounded like the fibers in fiberglass popping. I thought a large limb had fallen on the camper and that the noise was coming from the roof.  I bundled up and went outside to investigate. There wasn't anything on the roof or on the ground. So I went back inside and could still hear just a little bit of popping but soon stopped while I was looking in the cabinets and at my ceiling, I found nothing. I went to bed and as I got out of bed the next morning I noticed my bathroom door completely shattered, intact but shattered. Here's what I think happened. This was the second night I was camping and the outside temps were low teens and single digits. I use Mr. Buddy heater to quickly heat the inside while the Alde heats up. The rapid heating inside the camper throughout the winter season stressed the glass causing it to shatter. I taped it up for the road trip home but the glass fell out in the floor anyway, UGH glass everywhere. I ordered glass from my local glass dealer and replaced it. Easy job, maybe 20 to install. If this ever happens again I'll probably replace with plexiglass. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Comments

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I would hope that the shower glass could/ would withstand a 30-50 degree temperature swing...unless heater was directed onto glass...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    I think that he is saying is that repeated rapid heating of the cabin over a long period of time - the whole winter - caused the glass to stress and weaken, and then finally on this very cold two day trip it broke.  Makes sense.

Wow.  That would have scared the crapola out of me!
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S