Options

Crossed Chains

RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
I know I've seen this mentioned before, but could not find the discussion.  I understand the concept of crossing the chains when hooking the T@B to the TV.  I was doing some prep work on the trailer today and when checking out the tongue area I noticed that crossing the chains on mine would be impossible.  Why?  Because both ends of the chain are connected to the trailer at the same point.  Was wondering if anyone else had run into this situation.  Is it really a problem, and should I undertake reattaching the chains to the tongue so that they can be crossed?

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

Comments

• Options
    jbug10jbug10 Member Posts: 156

That is weird, mine are in two separate  holes, however, I had to get longer chains installed because I needed an extension bar for the hitch because of my rear mounted spare tire.  U-Haul installed them, but they recommended I keep the original LG installed chains on even though I don't use them.  I'll check how those are installed this weekend and see if they are in the same hole.

June; 2013 T@b "Fant@bulous"; 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee; one kayak and one bike
  • Options
    scubascuba Member Posts: 87
    The main reason for crossing the chains is to cradle the tongue in case it comes off the hitch. This keeps it off the pavement long enough for you to stop safely. I'd correct it if were me.
    Life is good! Great in a T@B!
    2014 CS-S Maxx
  • Options
    jbug10jbug10 Member Posts: 156
    scuba, thank you.  I always wondered why crossing the chains was so important; I just knew I was suppose to.
    June; 2013 T@b "Fant@bulous"; 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee; one kayak and one bike
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    My chains are purposely crossed.  I have two points to connect the chains to on the hitch (welded to the frame of my TV). I cross them before attaching them to the tongue of my T@B.  I have read about this concept on Trailer Life Magazine and watching videos of hitching up a trailer.  I think the concept makes sense.  @-)
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    belvagillespiebelvagillespie Member Posts: 199
    In reading the Atwood manual, there is a directive under Operation, item #9, - Cross safety chains under tongue and securely attach to bumper or frame of tow vehicle. 
    Item #14 - DO NOT USE Atwood brake actuator with sway controller, unless prior Atwood Engineering approval of sway control system ha been received. I guess that settles that!
    (We have the Atwood Hydraulic Surge Brake System).
    I think we will find the best speed to travel to avoid the sway we have experienced. I am remembering a discussion M. Mike and Tom? had about the speeds they travel when towing their LGs. They each had a little different speed preference. Maybe we T@Bers can find that perfect speed for the T@Bs. 
    We think that the poor road conditions, weather with wind and higher speeds contributed to the sway of the T@B during our last road trip. 
    Must we say again, it's the Journey!
    T@BbyKay, 2014 CS, S Ford Explorer
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    As Scuba says, it is to cradle the tongue were it to come off the hitch.

My chains are connected at a single point as well, making crossing them impossible.  It is something I would like to change, but it is pretty low on the priority list.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Cyclonic said:
    As Scuba says, it is to cradle the tongue were it to come off the hitch.

My chains are connected at a single point as well, making crossing them impossible.  It is something I would like to change, but it is pretty low on the priority list.
    Ditto  ;)   I do however check the ball engagement and verify the locking lip is on the underside of the ball each and everytime I hook up.
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Same here, and I never expect to have a problem, with proper maintenance I never should, but I do prepare for one because strange things do happen 8-}

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA