Options

Appliance power draw,

So I am trying to find lightweight solar panels that will support the use of the fridge and lights. I have been asked what the draw might be on the fridge but can find no information on the specs. Can any one help.

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Which fridge?

If you're talking the three-way fridge, you'd want to use it on propane, rather than 12v, and in that case the additional 12v draw would be minimal (a small fan sometimes comes on to exhaust the waste heat from the cabinet area - @ 150mA)

OTOH, trying to run the three-way on 12v wouldn't work for long, because it draws @11A constantly, no thermostat in 12v mode.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    We have several members who have installed solar panels on their trailers and their work is posted here on the forum. You should also consider your battery and updating it enough to add added amp hour capability. Plenty of information here on the T@B forum and there is information available on the Little Guy forum via the search function in the upper right-hand corner. One thing you want to consider and ask yourself is, "how long will you be camping off the grid?" Solar arrays are a viable option, but unless you are planning on boon-docking the majority of the time things can get expensive. Many people find out later that solar is unnecessary because they are staying in campgrounds with full hook-ups and are able to plug their trailers into an electric pedestal. Another option might be to mount a couple of the 100 watt flexible monocrystalline solar panels permanently on your trailer and allow for charging full time. The 80 watt Zamp portable panel weighs about 27# and their 120 watt portable panel weighs 33#, so weight is something to consider too as well as where you will store the suitcase which is approximately 21x35x3".
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    The Norcold 12v refrigerator draws approx 2.5 amps on low, if I remember correctly.  
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    source3source3 Member Posts: 142
    In general, if your fridge is drawing around 2.5 - 3 amps, an 80-watt solar panel and a larger deep cycle battery (Group 27 or larger) will run the fridge indefinitely...well, until the battery can no longer recharge.  I would error on a 120-watt setup for those less than sunny days.

Read the below links (warning, not mounted on a T@B), but gives good usage.  FYI: ARB and Engle fridges referenced in the links draw around 2.7amps. 
    1. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/57060-Solar-ARB-Fridge-Sears-Platinum-PM-1-Group-Size-31M-QUESTIONS?highlight=solar+fridge
    2. http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/land-cruiser-solar-power.803436/#post-9167431
    The first link shows the calculations you will need to perform.  The 2nd link gets slightly off-topic talking about cold beer.  But does show a slick low solar profile install.

Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• Options
    SusanBSusanB Member Posts: 20
    Thankyou everyone I have more than enough info to go on 
  • Options
    source3source3 Member Posts: 142
    SusanB - ChanW post got me thinking.  Not having the T@B in front of me, I think the 3-way fridge model is the Norcold 323 (going off photos).  Read page 4 of 30 in the user manual.  Section "Start Up - DC Operation" .  ChanW is correct.

http://www.thetford.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=NkOotlIfNHU%3d&tabid=472&mid=1239

Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO