Options

What speed do you travel when towing your T@B?

belvagillespiebelvagillespie Member Posts: 199
edited April 2014 in Trailer & Towing
I'm not sure this is in the correct category. 
We are interested in gathering info on the speed that other T@Bers travel for comfort and safety. 

T@BbyKay, 2014 CS, S Ford Explorer

Comments

• Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Hi, Belva -- I think 50-55 m.p.h. is my "safe zone" on the highway.  I think you have a good point as mentioned in another post about the road conditions contributing to the way T@B tows.  On my way home from the dealership (first time I ever towed T@B), I noticed that on a section of Hwy. 85 (Santa Fe) in Denver that she "bounced" a lot.  It didn't do that when I was on a smoother section of I-25.  Also maybe having 25 pounds of gear loaded inside near the front of T@B will help.      #-o
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    belvagillespiebelvagillespie Member Posts: 199
    Have you heard from Evelyn? Is she better? 
    We met up with a fellow forum LGer while in Austin. Had a great time talking and sharing our LG stories. 
    I bet you'll enjoy getting together with E. 
    T@BbyKay, 2014 CS, S Ford Explorer
  • Options
    stanmstanm Member Posts: 49
    On the freeway, I set the speed control of my Outback between 55 & 65, depending on traffic and how steep I'm climbing towards a pass. I feel very comfortable and safe. There's a reason some states require a max speed of 55 or 60 for trailers, in my opinion.
    Stan & Kitty - Seattle - 2014 T@B Q, Silver & Orange, 2013 Outback
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553

We haven't gotten together yet.  Sort of waiting for her steroid injections to be over, I think.  I need to PM her again.  I feel the need to talk T@B with someone.  My boyfriend isn't into it like I am, and I can only yak so much about brake controllers, the Alde system, tow vehicles, etc. and his eyes glaze over.

:|
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    On interstates with 70 mph or higher I set the cruiserooney at 65. With a speed limit of 65 mph, I set it at 63. 60 mph speed limits gets set at 58 and 55 mph gets set at 55 mph. We pull with a full size Dodge Ram truck with a 7,500 lb towing capacity so 65 mph is nothing for the truck either power wise or handling wise. I maintain and monitor tires pressures religously and check wheel hubs for heat everytime we stop.

We usually try to avoid interstates however and are content to plod along on backroads at my favorite speed of 45 to 50 mph (best fuel economy).

We once drove the 110 mile road from Ft. Stockton, TX on Interstate 10 south to Big Bend National Park. The two lane road was surprisingly posted at 85 mph. We set the cruise at 60 mph and didn't have a single car pass us in 110 miles :D
  • Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    I plan on doing a steady 90... I'm telling my friends that the aerodynamic shape of the T@b actually boosts horsepower and mileage, as the Bernoulli effect provides lift.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    jbug10jbug10 Member Posts: 156

I'm comfortable on the highway at 60 - 65, but when it gets scary curvy I stick to the recommended  curve speed.  There are some hairpin curves in NW AR that are 15mph so I go 15mph. :)

June; 2013 T@b "Fant@bulous"; 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee; one kayak and one bike
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890

There is a road here in the Ozarks about 50 miles from me that is so curvy that last time I traveled it, I only met two vehicles...and one of them was me.

I usually pull the T@B between 50-55, depending on the road.  This summer if I have the misfortune of having to travel interstates, I may try a little faster and see what happens.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    scubascuba Member Posts: 87
    I pulled mine home in the low 70s. Crappy mpg!
    Life is good! Great in a T@B!
    2014 CS-S Maxx
  • Options
    scuba said:
    I pulled mine home in the low 70s. Crappy mpg!
    Ain't that the truth !   >:)
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    I typically cruise between 60-65, or whatever speed the truck I am drafting is going :-D

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    XPADREX said:
    I plan on doing a steady 90... I'm telling my friends that the aerodynamic shape of the T@b actually boosts horsepower and mileage, as the Bernoulli effect provides lift.
    As long as you account for Murphy's Law  >:)
  • Options
    stevevstevev Member Posts: 8
    Who's in a hurry? We live in the SW where distance is a factor. But, for us, gas mileage is most important. So, highway conditions and prevailing winds considered, we drive 45-55 and enjoy the trip. Sunny (the T@B S model) does easily and nicely what it says... "I go where I'm towed to." BTW...we installed a locking black tongue box 5.5 cu.ft. from Harbor Freight right in front of the propane/battery compartment. Great add on!
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    Do you have a picture to share of this box?   It would give us interested folks a chance to see if it is something we would want to do.
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    I try not to outrun my reaction time nor my equipment's ability to stop at a reasonable distance.  If I find myself in a hurry I know it's because I didn't leave early enough.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    I like... LIKE to do 60. That said, due to traffic shenanigans, it was 70 on the way up to Andover, OH and back again. Looks like mieage dropped with a loaded rig to 12 to 13 mpg. (There was some in town/local travel on the journey).
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful.