Options

Locking lug nuts

Buying a 2017 Tab 320.  I'm buying a tire clamp wheel lock, a coupler lock and want to buy locking lug nuts but am not sure of the standard size for this trailer.  Picking up the trailer next week so I want to have them...can anybody help with the size and suggestions on what tire clamp, coupler lock and locking lug nuts that you like?

Thanks....
2017 T@B 320S, 2011 2WD Honda Pilot, Coming out of The Woodlands, TX....Mark & Carolyn

Comments

• Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    The odds of anyone stealing your wheels are about a bazillion to none....it just doesn't happen. A pair of alloy wheels are nothing special and not worth the trouble of stealing. Even a lowly Hyundai comes with them as standard.
    So locking the wheels with locking lugs, is it really necessary? Or is it worth the trouble? The keys for locking lugs are notorious for stripping or getting lost. Anyone who has dealt with them can tell you a story about having a wheel stuck after the locking nut stripped. If you flat on the side of a busy highway the last thing you need to worry about is having a problem with the lug key..and since these lugs are torqued very tightly you can almost guarantee you'll have trouble. I would leave them off. If you are using a wheel lock when you are camped your wheels are plenty well protected. 
    Here's a ruling on these that is indisputable...Car Talk speaks locking lugs and they get it right. 
      https://www.cartalk.com/content/locking-lug-nuts-more-trouble-theyre-worth
  • Options
    wooperwooper Member Posts: 75
    Thanks...good info
    2017 T@B 320S, 2011 2WD Honda Pilot, Coming out of The Woodlands, TX....Mark & Carolyn
  • Options
    CherokeeCherokee Member Posts: 120
    The lug nuts on my 320 Boondock are standard 3/4" with 1/2" stud threads. Lock nuts are often bought to prevent someone from simply removing a wheel with a wheel clamp that doesn't cover the lugs. 

1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (2" lift and 30" tires) 2019 T@B 320 Boondogle
  • Options
    wooperwooper Member Posts: 75
    Cherokee...that was my thought.  Are you using a wheel clamp and, if so, what kind?

• Options
    davel4wadavel4wa Member Posts: 91
    I have never had a problem with locking lug nuts and if it makes you feel better, do it. If the guy in the Click & Clack story stopped to think about it he probably (since he refers to HIS mechanic) would have realized that the only person that ever removed his wheels is HIS mechanic. There is nothing special or different about a locking lug nuts. The threaded part is identical to the regular lug nuts. What is different is the outside as it is round so you can't put a lug wrench on it. The key is just an adapter that allows the lug wrench to fit. Regular lug nuts get cross threaded just as often and the ONLY reason (99.9%) they get that way is because the mechanic put the lug nut in the pneumatic wrench instead of hand threading the nut on the lug. Most professional tire mechanics always hand thread the nuts and IF they use a pneumatic wrench at all, it is set to a very low torque. The final tightening is done with a torque wrench.
    This poor guy never realized that HIS mechanic likely caused the problem the last time he rotated his tires. As for Click & Clack, you have to realize their show is more about comedy than actual good automotive advice and they tend to think of things like locking lug nuts as fru-fru devices that are unneccessary. If they were honest they would have told this guy to confront HIS mechanic with the fact that they caused the problem and they could damned well fix it at their cost. 
  • Options
    wooper said:
    Cherokee...that was my thought.  Are you using a wheel clamp and, if so, what kind?

I have 235/75/15 tires on my Boondock  and the better wheel locks that are highly rated like the BRAHMA will not fit. Note that the Brahma lock covers the lugs. Many of the wheel clamps or tire claws are too cumbersome for my use and the lock picking lawyer defeats many of them easily. Pick carefully. However, a high quality bicycle chain lock will fit through the spokes and rap around the suspension arm to prevent the wheel from turning. I rap one through two spokes which takes up enough of the chain that the wheel can't be removed. I use one to lock the spare too. They are light, compact and easy to transport with your trailer.You may wish to lock the hitch coupler and secure the safety chains as well.

my posts on this page and the next describe my strategy's:

Good luck and enjoy your new T@B!

• Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    edited July 2019
    davel4wa said:
    I have never had a problem with locking lug nuts 

Tappet brothers provided for comedic value....FWIW.

It's a matter of time. When you do end up with a damaged locking lug or when the key turns up missing it may be helpful to know how to try and overcome it. 
    Hopefully that won't turn out to be halfway between Couer de Alene and Missoula on a hot day. ;)

Attempting to remove a stripped locking lug requires a set of poor quality sockets, a breaker bar and a hammer. The outside of a locking lug is round so to remove it you will need to try and hammer a socket with an inside diameter slightly smaller than they outside diameter of the locking lug over the lug. Since not all locking lugs are made the same way you'll need to fool around a bit to figure out which socket from your set will allow itself to be hammered over the lug. Hammer it down as far as possible but leave room to insert the square breaker bar shaft. Hopefully the socket does not split. Once you have the socket in place you can start trying to turn the lug, carefully and slowly. You do not want the socket to slip off or spin on the lug. With patience and time you may eventually be able to work the lug off. This is how thieves remove locking lugs when they don't have the key.
    Once you have the lug off you are still not entirely out of the woods. After you change your wheel you probably won't want to try to re install the locking lug so unless you have a spare lug with you (if you are using locking lugs, you should) you'll need to decide if you want to drive to the next town with one lug missing.
    If this works you've been lucky, the alternatives include drilling the lug out or using torch to burn it loose. 
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Locking devices are used to keep honest people honest.  I know there has been talk of using GPS chips, etc.  I’ve traveled coast to coast and up to Alaska and camped in remote areas without issues.  I’ve owned 5 teardrop trailers and have my own theft deterrent process in place.  I don’t use wheel lug locks for the reasons noted above.   I DO use a wheel boot, better known as “The Club Tire Claw.”  

In addition to the tire claw I keep a lock through the trailer hitch and incorporate an additional “built-in” theft deterrent, deploying the trailer stabilizers when parked outside my home and when camping.  I have three tire claws and have used two at once when camping in remote areas where I was away from the site for an extended period of time.  

Bottom line here, if someone wants what you have they will do whatever they need to do to get it!  Keep the stabilizers down, install a wheel boot and keep your possessions out of sight.  Throw out s couple of camp chairs, make the place looked occupied and keep it insured.  👍🏻
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Locking devices are used to keep honest people honest.  I know there has been talk of using GPS chips, etc.  I’ve traveled coast to coast and up to Alaska and camped in remote areas without issues.  I’ve owned 5 teardrop trailers and have my own theft deterrent process in place.  I don’t use wheel lug locks for the reasons noted above.   I DO use a wheel boot, better known as “The Club Tire Claw.”  

In addition to the tire claw I keep a lock through the trailer hitch and incorporate an additional “built-in” theft deterrent, deploying the trailer stabilizers when parked outside my home and when camping.  I have three tire claws and have used two at once when camping in remote areas where I was away from the site for an extended period of time.  

Bottom line here, if someone wants what you have they will do whatever they need to do to get it!  Keep the stabilizers down, install a wheel boot and keep your possessions out of sight.  Throw out s couple of camp chairs, make the place looked occupied and keep it insured.  👍🏻

Yes but thieves watch you-tube to

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    We all have choices in life!  👍🏻
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    This lock picking lawyer dude does everything on a bench; clean sterile environment. I mentioned on another thread that all you need to do is flip the claw(or any other similar style lock)over so that the key slot faces the ground, and I challenge anyone to pick that lock with so little hand access, and no visual. Unless someone has a powder actuated nail gun, or the right shims, the trailer is safe.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    davel4wadavel4wa Member Posts: 91
    edited July 2019
    We like to say locks of all sorts 'just keep honest people honest.' That isn’t the way I see it. Honest people don't steal your stuff. Is someone that is honest 90% of the time really honest? Locks make you less of a target for dishonest people. When it isn't easy they look for one that is. That doesn't mean that you won't ever be a target. If a thief thinks the risk of being discovered is outweighed by the potential gain then locks just slow the process. Different people have different risk tolerances. If you have been a victim you might feel everything needs to be locked. If you are just paranoid, no number of locks will probably suffice. Try not to be a target. Talking about all the nice things you may have in your home/trailer may make you feel good but that information in the wrong ears could make you a victim. 
  • Options
    linolino Member Posts: 226
    I have a claw and coupler locks and seems like all I am willing to use
    Both can be opened if a thief is good
    That's why I also have insurance 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    4ncar said:
    This lock picking lawyer dude does everything on a bench; clean sterile environment. I mentioned on another thread that all you need to do is flip the claw(or any other similar style lock)over so that the key slot faces the ground, and I challenge anyone to pick that lock with so little hand access, and no visual. Unless someone has a powder actuated nail gun, or the right shims, the trailer is safe.

A thief with a smart phone to look this you-tube up (google), a feeler gauge in his tool box and a 2" ball on the back of his truck and the trailer is gone .
  • Options
    Cherokee said:
    4ncar said:

A thief with a smart phone to look this you-tube up (google), a feeler gauge in his tool box and a 2" ball on the back of his truck and the trailer is gone .
    ...and my insurance will cover the theft. How paranoid can one be? 
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    4ncar said:
    Cherokee said:
    4ncar said:

...and my insurance will cover the theft. How paranoid can one be? 
    I, have no reason to be paranoid. I  research things before I purchase   

• Options
    edited July 2019
    @Cherokee Well I’m glad to see you’re prepared to gap some spark plugs. Or is that a bench top photo from your lawyer bud?
    2018 320S Outback