Options

10 minute, no-drill satellite radio install

Satellite radio, dock, antenna and 12volt power supply
Command brand adhesive hooks

I can do without TV anytime but music on the other hand just makes me happy. I've had a Sirius XM Edge (out of production now) for some time and toss it in the camper when we head out. At first I was looking at permanently mounting the antenna and unit but I'm still learning where everything runs in the new-to-us 400, and then thought some people shy away from electronics or tools; everybody has their comfort zone. The cool thing about a tear drop style camper is the windows and the view they allow so I tried just dropping the satellite radio antenna in the windows around the camper. I was amazed that I got reception in all four windows and that is the point; you don't have to drill a hole if you're not certain what's on the other side or don't want to tweak your cabinets. The antenna cable is plenty long to drop the antenna in a window and tuck the cable along the seams and overheads to reach the radio dock. In my case I placed the antenna in the right front window, ran the cable up to the overhead where the forward speaker is, tucked it between the roof and accent lights, across the door top, down the right edge of the screen door and to the 12v socket area over the sink. Plug in the power supply, turn on the satellite and Jensen radio, synchronize the radio channels and viola! The cable is exposed in the pictures because if I tucked them away for the photos it would be hard to see the path. There is enough overhead access to run the antenna cable from the middle of the camper to either front or rear windows for clear reception. It took two minutes to remove the dock, antenna, and power supply and stow it in the TV for safe keeping.

To hang the unit out of the way I trimmed about a third of the tips off two Command hooks, applied the tape to the hooks, stuck the hooks in the back of the docking station (without the receiver attached) and held them in place using the clear tabs while I positioned the unit where I wanted it. It was easier to tilt the top of the unit against the wall first and then pinch the hooks in place as I rotated it downward. I also just stuck the antenna through the large window and placed it on the roof to see if the window would close if it rained. Just make a short loop in the antenna wire to hang lower than the bottom of the window so rain drips down the side of the camper and does not chase the cable in past the frame (if you ran it in the side or top area of the window water will find it's way in).

Check the fit between the window frame and woodwork then remove the receiver, align the dock, and press the hooks in place. 

Make your connections, hang the unit on the hooks and run the antenna.

The antenna puck fit between the surfaces with no problem

Coming from the top, I can still close the shades. Cable is easy to hide along the seams of the camper if you want.

No reception issues in the front, right window. Two sided tape or velcro will hold the antenna if needed.

Placed in bottom, right corner of front window. Less overhead structure to interfere with the antenna

2018 T@B400
2019 Jeep GC 5.7L
and two furry bed hogs
Colorado

Comments

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    edited July 2019
    When I first got my T@B, I did something similar. I had an aftermarket XM in my truck with a dock. I bought a matching home dock for the T@B, and connected the cables to the back of the television that was wired into the speakers, and then ran the antenna out the window, and used a broom handle to shove the home antenna on top of the T@B. When I got my new truck, it had Sirius built in, and my son kept the old truck with the aftermarket XM radio. Eventually, I installed a full time car stereo with an XM port, got a dedicated XM receiver, and I still ran the XM antenna out the window, but got a marine antenna that I screwed into the outer skin of the T@B.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    edited July 2019
    I've done permanent installations similar to this in the past, but I've had factory XM radios in my last several tow vehicles, so I don't keep a subscription for a PnP radio anymore.  If I want to listen to XM radio in the camper, I use the SiriusXM app on my iPhone and blue-tooth to audio the my sound system. The cellular bandwidth used doesn't even make a dent into my monthly data plan.

You would probably find that you could put the satellite antenna most anywhere in the RV (in a closet or cabinet near the roof) and it would work fine because the roof is mostly wood and fiberglass and won't block the signal.
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    COHiker06COHiker06 Member Posts: 25
    You make a valid point about using the app. I too listen on my iPhone but some of the places we camp are readily accessible and the cellular service is non-existent unless you hover around the comfort station. You are correct about location of the antenna. Was still getting a signal while it was laying on top of the cabinet! Thanks for sharing your info
    2018 T@B400
    2019 Jeep GC 5.7L
    and two furry bed hogs
    Colorado