Options

Lock & Roll Hitch & coupler

CherokeeCherokee Member Posts: 120
edited July 2019 in Products and Accessories

The stock coupler on our T@B 320 Boondock is stout enough and has all the range of motion required for most paved or well graded dirt roads. Some ball hitch/coupler assemblies offer adequate range of motion for many of the more severe off road situations. However, the stock set-up provided on our T@B trailer doesn't have enough range for the more abrupt transitions commonly found on more challenging dirt roads: whoop-d-dos and the steep transitions at the base of climbs,for example. These rougher paths require a greater range of motion in the hitch/coupler assembly to avoid transferring undo stresses into the trailers frame.To accomplice this, we had a Lock & Roll welded to NuCamp’s cold rolled framing channels to make a stronger assembly that will not work loose like the bolted assemblies. Pac West Trailers in Northern California performed the installation for a modest $230.             

NuCamp 2" Ball @ full upward extension

Lock & Roll @ 90 degrees (TV ascending 45 degrees while the trailer is descending 45 degrees = 90 degrees)

NuCamp 2" Ball at full downward extension

Lock & Roll at full downward extension.

Fully welded and timed for a custom fit

Note the lower plate has been relocated towards the trailer and welded in place

A Lock & Roll hitch/coupler in use:

1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (2" lift and 30" tires) 2019 T@B 320 Boondogle

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Wow - that welding job looks robust. Is that the Lock n Roll 504 configured to the T@B frame? if so, they did an amazing job making the two dissimilar angles connect. Hope you enjoy the articulating hitch as much as I have,
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Tabaz said:
    Wow - that welding job looks robust. Is that the Lock n Roll 504 configured to the T@B frame? if so, they did an amazing job making the two dissimilar angles connect. Hope you enjoy the articulating hitch as much as I have,
    Thanks, Yes  it's a 504. I'm impressed with this shop! And the welding was well done; but trimming the back where the angle changes was brilliant as other shops let it overhang and some move it forward so it overhangs all around. The weld on the bottom makes up a small gap. Hope to try it out soon!
  • Options
    Cherokee - I’ve made a ton of mods to my T@B over 3 years of ownership. Each mod decision was predicated on the affect of resale value (i.e. what would a potential buyer find desirable). Accordingly, I opted for an articulating hitch solution that would allow a buyer to easily revert to the factory ball hitch. That said, your welding shop’s application of the 504 is masterful. It truly provides a strong, beautiful result.
  • Options
    Tabaz said:
    Cherokee - I’ve made a ton of mods to my T@B over 3 years of ownership. Each mod decision was predicated on the affect of resale value (i.e. what would a potential buyer find desirable). Accordingly, I opted for an articulating hitch solution that would allow a buyer to easily revert to the factory ball hitch. That said, your welding shop’s application of the 504 is masterful. It truly provides a strong, beautiful result.
    Thanks again! Though bolting the new coupler on would have been possible, our frequently wash-boarded desert trails in California produce far too much vibration for bolted connections. In fact, when I saw these welds, I told the proprietor of the shop that I'd like to turn his crew loose on my Jeep. I guess I'll have to add the the hitch to the deal if I ever sold our T@B and hope that the 2" offset met the needs of the new owner. Though this will probably be our most expensive modification, I'm certain others will follow. Supplementing the small water tank will probably be next. How did you secure the Jerry cans you use?
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Ratchet strap on the outriggers.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    4ncar said:
    Ratchet strap on the outriggers.
    Thanks, though I may place a the water Jerry cans on the rack on the back as the 2019 Boondock has the spare on the the front and placing additional weight there may not be the best place. Though the spare is easier to get to.
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    @Cherokee: ahhh...I have a 2018 with the “old” style front shelf w/out the spare. My spare is on the Yakima, so I have the reverse issue as you do, especially when I am toting bikes on the back rack; the water up front helps to counter the tail weight...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Here is my arrangement (all purchased on Amazon). A 5 gallon plastic Jerry Can also fits in the holders.

Had to trim the top bracket for the nozzles.

Added benefit is being able to refill the fresh water tank:

This siphon works GREAT! Can't recall its name, but you put it in the jug and shake it a few times.

• Options
    Oops - I meant to say a 5 gallon GAS Jerry Can also fits.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

The entire package - Note the hitch extension allows for the the TV's spare and opening the hatch on the Cherokee. It also allows for a great tight turning circle!  

• Options
    Tabaz said:
    Oops - I meant to say a 5 gallon GAS Jerry Can also fits.
    Thanks. Cool way to siphon water into the T@B ! I'm going to steel this one from you for sure. We're not certain if we're going to place anything else on the shelf as I already have the weight of the spare on the front. But we'll do something and another Rotopex ($50 for 2 gal water container) is OUT of the question. Fortunately, after we got the trailer, we found a lot of room in the Jeep - perhaps that's where the water will go for now.  
  • Options
    4ncar said:
    @Cherokee: ahhh...I have a 2018 with the “old” style front shelf w/out the spare. My spare is on the Yakima, so I have the reverse issue as you do, especially when I am toting bikes on the back rack; the water up front helps to counter the tail weight...
    Yes - they have you going and me coming. Unfortunately I'm only 5'-8 and my tiny wife is only 5'-3, so we'd have to carry a folding stool to get to the rack. We get the Rotopex gas cans off the roof of the Cherokee standing on the sills. Another Rotopex ($50 + another mount for 2 gal water container) is OUT of the question. Fortunately, after we got the trailer, we found a lot of room in the Jeep - perhaps that's where the water will go for now.    
  • Options
    I try to plan a fill at the nearest location to the campsite.  8.34 pounds per gallon adds up fairly fast.  Happily, those water vending machines will accept a 5 gallon Jerry Can for a reasonable price of $1.25 - and their water actually taste good.  On another topic, it seems there are several forum members interested in more robust off-roading - I refrain from using "extreme" or "overland" in deference to those who truly push the envelope.  Perhaps a separate discussion topic heading may be in order?  I'll leave that up to the moderators.
  • Options
    OMG - I just noticed Jeff Bezos must have stolen my Jerry Cans from the US Government!  Either that, or he's a logistics genius.  I'm leaning towards the latter.