Alde glycol tank and plumbing valves

wooperwooper Member Posts: 75
edited September 2020 in Heating/Plumbing & Winterizing
Hi all.  On continuing my learning process with my 2017 TaB 320s, my Alde panel was not powering on when I press the button.  I discovered it was unplugged and plugged it in, but still no power.   I finally located the fuses (thanks to youtube) and swapped them out and the panel came on...yippee!!!  

Now I'm looking down at the various hot and cold water tubes and valves which all seem to be switched to closed.  

1.  Per some pictures here on winterizing (thanks) I opened the two valves in the center...is this correct?  

2. Do you always leave these valves open when traveling?

3. Does it damage the unit if it is on but no water in the trailer?

4.  Where do I check the glycol level?  I've looked all over and can't find where it is?

Thanks again

2017 T@B 320S, 2011 2WD Honda Pilot, Coming out of The Woodlands, TX....Mark & Carolyn

Comments

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    Here is how to get to your expansion tank.  Find your square Robertson bits.  Stretch and warm up for  few minutes.  Bring some extra pillows.  I find it easier to lay out in the trailer facing those tiny screws.  They are quite long, so it will be a while before they come free.  The panel slips out toward the front of the trailer. 

Bring a flashlight.  A marker is also useful.  The flashlight will help you find the MAX/MIN marks, and the marker will help you see them the next time you need to get back there.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @wooper, the drains that go through the floor (hot and cold water drain valves) should remain closed unless you are actively draining the Alde water tank or plumbing.  The yellow flapper opens spontaneously with excess pressure from within the plumbing (think Alde hot water tank pressure is too high or you forget to use a water pressure regulator).  That stays closed (flat).  The hot and cold water (supply) valves remain open as you adjusted them.  So, you can leave the valves like this for camping season, only opening and closing the drain valves when you drain your plumbing in between camping.

You can use the Alde glycol circulation to heat the cabin without having any water in the Alde water tank - like in the winter with freezing temperatures.  No harm done.  In the summer, if you want hot water, but no cabin heat, just turn down the thermostat below ambient temp.  The 3010 Alde in the 2017 TaB will always heat any available water in the Alde water tank by default once the Alde is turned on.  

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • wooperwooper Member Posts: 75
    What a pain to get to the expansion tank...I saw it used to be behind the toilet in some models.  Oh well...another thing learned...thanks again all.

2017 T@B 320S, 2011 2WD Honda Pilot, Coming out of The Woodlands, TX....Mark & Carolyn
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    If it were me, I would replace that wood panel with plexiglass.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,395
    wooper said:
    What a pain to get to the expansion tank...I saw it used to be behind the toilet in some models.  Oh well...another thing learned...thanks again all.

I think that might be the case with CS models. My older (2015) S also has the tank in the back location. It's a little easier to get to, however, as there are no cubbies under the rear deck, or enclosed areas under the speakers. All I have to do is pop the rear deck up and it's right there on the right.
    2015 T@B S