Adjustable trailer hitch

I was just curious about these.  I have 3-4 hitches with different drop heights from over the years.  I saw this and was wondering if anyone has any experiences with these.  They do seem pricey..

https://www.amazon.com/Weigh-Safe-Adjustable-Aluminum-Double-pin/dp/B07NXMBPTG/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_263_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PQ271XPW4AHM1JTCBNPN

Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
T@bbey  Road   
Appleton,  WI

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I thought about that one for my new truck...then I thought about the bruise it would leave on my leg...I ordered a new receiver hitch and ball...it won’t bruise as much 😂
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Supposedly, you are able to slide the ball part down on the track and flip it to the inside.  

I’ve gotten hitch whacked in the past though.
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• cafyrmancafyrman Member Posts: 25
    Oddly, I just ordered that same exact hitch today.
    2018 T@B 400
  • TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    I have a similar B&W adjustable tri-ball hitch and I really like it.  Like Terry, I had a garage shelf full of various drops and ball sizes, depending upon the particular need at the time.  I was able to get rid of all of them and just have the B&W and I leave it on the truck.  With the B&W, you can rotate the head back underneath the truck so there is nothing to whack your shins when you are not using it.
    I looked at one that had a weight scale built in but I read a number of negative comments about that one..  That would have been convenient. 
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

@TNOutback,  as well as having the ability to use different trailers, do these also give you the ability to adjust your levelness of the hitch when adding a bit more to your hitch area..?  Do you use it that way?
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    @TerryV6 the one I bought has +/- 5 inch drop rise, but given the height of my truck anyway, I’m not sure I would ever use the “rise” side (by flipping the shank over so it points up).  But it will allow me to pull an open cargo trailer with a 2 inch ball almost level with the maximum 5 inches of drop, a boat trailer with a 1 7/8 ball that is level with about 2 inches of drop, and the T@B BDL in the next position up so the ball is almost level with the receiver.  I opted for the 5 inch drop because I was concerned about the 7 inch drop being too much and a risk of hitting the ground or a curb if I left it in.  The shank also has two holes that give you about 2 inches of in/out adjustment.  I have it all the way in so it’s not a shin-buster.  
  • darekdarek Member Posts: 4
    Are there any negatives to having one of these adjustable hitches? I am shopping for our first hitch and was wondering why anyone would get a non-adjustable one. Is price the only negative?
  • tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 423
    darek said:
    Are there any negatives to having one of these adjustable hitches? I am shopping for our first hitch and was wondering why anyone would get a non-adjustable one. Is price the only negative?
    Not really....but setting up a standard hitch and ball isn't complicated. You can buy both a 2 inch and a 1 7/8 hitch with different drops for about $50.00. It seems it would take a lot less time to swap a drop in and out than fiddle around with mega the adjustments. 
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited April 2020
    That is what I have found.  I have several hitch setups, for different trailers I haul, only takes a minute or two to install the right hitch in the truck’s receiver.  
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • MarcoMarco Member Posts: 18
    I thought about buying one too!  BUT it is expensive. I just went to Uhaul and let them measure the exact height and bought the hitch and ball for 35$.
  • GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    That’s a lot of hitch for a little T@b.  Just use a regular receiver hitch.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• hamrxhamrx Member Posts: 17
    they are pricey.  I have a collection of over under etc too.  just had our dealer sell us a new one , for our anti sway system, due to the fact it has been on so long and they couldn't get the ball off to reverse it.  oh well
    Former 5th wheel and now T@B 320s owner. Amateur Radio Operator. Pulled by 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4 x 4
  • TabneroTabnero Member Posts: 220
    i have this hitch. wish I had bought it first over the years. works well, fine tune level. no complaints, no rust or other deterioration
  • TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    darek said:
    Harbor Freight has this adjustable for $39.99 and if you search you should be able to find a 20% off coupon

The 8-in-1 adjustable ball mount hitch is ideal when you have more than one trailer or tow vehicle. Instantly adjust the rise or drop of your hitch without purchasing multiple hitch mounts. This adjustable ball mount hitch features heavy duty welded construction and a weather-resistant black powder coat finish.

• 10 in. max. rise
    • 11 in. max. drop
    • 5000 lb. gross towing weight
    • 500 lb. tongue weight
    • Fits 2 in. receivers
    • Powder coat finish
    • Comes with two 5/8 in. diameter hitch pins
    They also have a fancier aluminum one for $99.99
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
    TampaKayaker, I see that you have basically the same setup as we do.  Ours is a 2016 Ram 1500 and a 2016 Tab max S.  Did you get the hitch?  I'd go for the Aluminum one...

T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    TerryV6 said:
    TampaKayaker, I see that you have basically the same setup as we do.  Ours is a 2016 Ram 1500 and a 2016 Tab max S.  Did you get the hitch?  I'd go for the Aluminum one...

No, I bought the HF straight bar with a 6 in drop.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 178
    I put the same one on my Ridgeline. We have the regular T@B not the Outback and it sits kind of low so the hitch ball has to sit low to keep it level. No way around that I suppose. But on the flip side I can adjust it for other kinds of trailers like I have to rent a Uhaul or something like that. 

2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods