Traveling in Yosemite/Kings Canyon/Sequoia

HoBoHoBo Member Posts: 45
2005 DM T@b T16 aka Buttercup

Good day! I am preparing to embark on a cross country adventure with my final destination being the National Parks out west. I’m seeking input on traveling from Wawona south. I have no reservations after there and am wondering about campground experiences but more so road conditions and what anyone experienced pulling their T@b through the area. I’m considering camping at Azalea campground and using that as a home base but would love to stay in the Kings Canyon valley but hear the road is super steep. 

Thank you in advance. I purchased my T@b June 1st and am LOVING it!! The best part is the incredible knowledge base this group provides!
HB 2009 DM T@D@ being towed by 2021 Subaru Ascent Asheville, NC/Clayton, GA

Comments

• jpb0001jpb0001 Member Posts: 15
    I did a similar trip in May.  Unfortunately, a late freak snow storm shut down the national parks and I was unable to visit them.  My only observation is that you are pulling with a mini-van.  I was pulling a TAB 400 (admittedly heavier) with a 1/2 ton Silverado pickup and going up some of the grades (e.g., Tehachapi Pass between Bakersfield, CA and Barstow, CA) the transmission temperature climbed a bit.  A transmission temperature gauge might be a worthwhile investment to make sure that you don't burn out your transmission.
  • HoBoHoBo Member Posts: 45
    Thank you JPB! That is exactly the type of Info I’m looking for! I will be traveling in from Reno and eventually hitting Fresno to drop my travel partner off at the airport there.  Not sure on my route back east quite yet but I’m sure there are many mountain passes I will deal with. I appreciate your input.
  • 2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    @HoBo - Love, love love Kings Canyon!!!  One of my all time favorite places to be.  That being said, the canyon road is pretty steep.  We have not pulled our T@b down there, and not sure I would.  Tent camped there for years... in the old days the car would overheat going up the canyon.  My other big fear there is fire.  There is only one road out.  I would want to go there earlier in the season when the fire danger is not as bad.  Let me know what you end up doing.
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• HoBoHoBo Member Posts: 45
    🔥 Valid point. I Live in WNC and heard many horror stories of people trying to escape the fire in Gatlinburg.