Knowledgable Tacoma Owners: 2019 Tacoma 7 pin and battery ?

AnneDEAnneDE Member Posts: 10
We found the plug and play connector in the side panel and have installed our brake controller in the 2019 Tacoma.  Does anyone know whether the prewired system has whatever is needed to prevent battery discharge when the car is turned off and the trailer is plugged in?  We know there is not a switch, but wondering if there is anything in line.  We needed to disconnect from our prior tow vehicle when we stopped; just wondering if Toyota added whatever is needed to allow the trailer to stay plugged to the truck without discharging the battery.  Thank you.
Anne and Frank
2018 320S, purchased very lightly used (but without manuals)
2019 Toyota Tacoma V6 2WD

Comments

• JP2558JP2558 Member Posts: 219
    Good question. And I have the same question about my Honda Pilot too.

Thanks, Jerry 

2019 Honda Pilot AWD and 2018 T@B 320-CS hanging out on the left edge of Lake Erie.
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The way to check for yourself would be to use a multimeter (volt ohm meter) to determine if the 7 pin still has power after the engine is turned off and the key removed. You should NOT have 12V power when connecting the multimeter’s leads on the ground and the 12V pins on your tow vehicle. 

the key removed. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    To check for an isolation relay:

Turn off your T@B battery by turning off the battery switch.  

Hook your camper to the 7-pin, crank the engine. Turn on an interior trailer light. If it comes on, you have a charge line. Turn off the engine, if the light goes out, you have an isolation relay. If the light stays on, you do not have an isolation relay.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • AnneDEAnneDE Member Posts: 10
    Thanks Verna, will check using your diagram.  Sharon, I think we will test using Verna's method and diagram, as the battery in the T@b would keep the light on even after the car is turned off, and I wonder if we turned off the battery first would we be interrupting the circuit we are trying to test?  (I need a 5th grade electricity lesson again)
    Anne and Frank

You are trying to determine if the TV charge line is disabled when you turn off the TV ignition.  You need to eliminate the TaB battery from the test.  Do so by turning it off.  As I said - turn off the battery.  It will work.
  • IslandJoIslandJo Member Posts: 60
    No need to disconnect your Tacoma. 

2018 T@B CS-S on an Outback axle 
    2017 Toyota Tacoma with tow package
    Pacific Northwest 
  • AnneDEAnneDE Member Posts: 10
    Thank you everyone!
    Anne and Frank

• BogieMeisterBogieMeister Member Posts: 114
    I have a 2016 Pilot and have tested for the isolation filter. Yes, once the engine is shut off the Pilot's battery is isolated from the trailer connection.
    Gerri (Gary) Ewing
    Montgomery TX (Birthplace of the Texas Flag)
    2018 320 S - "No Agenda Hacienda"
    Tow Vehicle 2023 Honda Pilot AWD

• lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 731
    @Sharon_is_SAM Am I correct in the assumption that when you turn off your vehicle ignition to check if the light is still on or off that you also remove the keys from the ignition?  Don't know if that makes a difference or not?  Thanks-- that was a simple way to check!
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
    You can leave your keys in the ignition as long as they are not turned to accessory power.  Taking them out is a sure bet.