Options

Mattress pad? Egg crate? How do you hide the feeling of the cushion seams for the trailer bed?

KatsKats Member Posts: 95
We have t@b maxx, and the bed is made by folding down the cushions and re-arranging them into a mattress. My partner doesn't like the feeling of the seams of the cushions. Any suggestions on how to cover this up? Also, we are thinking of taking out the table entirely at some point and just putting slats in the gap to support the mattress. Has anyone done this yet?

Comments

• Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    table and slat modifications are very common, here is what I did with mine.  the table comes out in seconds and stores under the slats. The slats store under the rear seat.

As for the bed, we use a full size 2" foam pad.

• Options
    VindalouVindalou Member Posts: 6

I bought a foam mattress topper and laid it on top of the trailer cushions. It is very comfy and folds/rolls back when I want to raise the table. It also keeps cold air from seeping through the joints between the T@B cushions when I am winter camping.

• Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    This spring, after a long road trip in the winter to Florida, I had a local shop replace all of the cushion foam with higher density foam.  That will make a huge difference in the comfort.  I never found that the joins between the cushions were a problem, but the factory foam is so low density that you will sink down to the plywood either sleeping or sitting.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    CCPICCCCPICC Member Posts: 43
    we use a egg crate foam pad and it works great, gives the bed some cushion and since we never use the table we just leave it in place from trip to trip!
  • Options
    OrygunOrygun Member Posts: 17
    Initially I tried a 2 in. memory foam topper, but it was still too soft. I then had a foam store cut me a piece of 3 inch high density polyurethane foam and it is quite comfortable now. I always leave my bed made up..never use the table, sit outside. 
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited May 2015
    In the process of replacing the foam in the cushions - find it too soft. When I'm editing photos for a few hours it currently feels like I'm sitting on nothing but the board by the time I'm done. Testing one cushion before I do the rest. In feeling the three grades of foam at the upholstery store the current ones feel like soft. My test cushion is medium and feels much firmer.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Not sure how they picked it - many people like a firm mattress for sleeping. I can sleep on almost anything but sitting concentrates the weight in a smaller area so needs to be firmer - for me anyway.