Options

Dropped Alde fuse

Hi. I just posted on an old discussion how to fish out the fuse holder I dropped while reinstalling it. The comment said he used duct tape on a stick. How far down do you put the stick. Was he not afraid of the stick breaking or breaking one of the wires in there? I suspect will have to go to dealer because I doubt it is a good idea to remove the black “box” so I can see better or have more room.

Comments

• Options
    wooperwooper Member Posts: 75
    I almost did the same.  Hindsight for what it's worth...put an index card below the fuses when you are pulling them out.  On another note does anyone know what the little plastic fuse holder for the Alde is called and where you can order extra?
    2017 T@B 320S, 2011 2WD Honda Pilot, Coming out of The Woodlands, TX....Mark & Carolyn
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    I've dropped two of the fuses in the holders down behind the Alde and had to buy replacements and spares.  I just called Elsie at NuCamp, but that was just before they guided everyone to the dealers. 
    Alde USA may be able to hook you up with a source, too.  When I have searched for them, I find many "caravan" suppliers in England who have Alde parts.
    I've taped over the gap behind my Alde, have an old plastic card under the fuses, and firmly grip them when pulling them out.  There are many things to love about the Tab....but whoever designed this obviously never had to change these fuses. 

Here is the Alde USA contact info link: https://www.alde.us/contact-us/

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    MegaMega Member Posts: 69
    So the old ones are still down there or did you ever get them out? If so how?
  • Options
    wooperwooper Member Posts: 75
    @pthomas745 same with the location of my glycol...I have to unscrew a wooden panel in the back to get access.
    What were they thinking?
    2017 T@B 320S, 2011 2WD Honda Pilot, Coming out of The Woodlands, TX....Mark & Carolyn
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    I think the glycol makes a little bit of sense as far as design goes.  It is an expansion/filling tank, so it has to be a little elevated above the Alde.  It is awkward as heck, and do those screws have to be 2 inches long?!  The good news it doesn't have to be checked too often.  Much easier the second time!
    Those holders are still under there.  My Alde has that gap behind it (toward the center of the trailer) and then is raised above the floor slightly.  I've contemplated what tool would be able to make a drop and a 90 degree turn and grab the holders.  A long strip of magnetic "tape", maybe?  Are those fuses even magnetic? 
    I haven't looked hard enough to see if the Alde is  movable or tiltable.  Maybe someday the holders will work themselves free!

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    @pthomas745
    I also removed the decorative wood panel above the glycol tank.  Putting it back into the same screws holes was impossible.  I kept trying to invent a better way to mount that cover.  Then one day I noticed that the gray plastic cover over the glycol tank (below the decorative wood panel) was installed with keyhole slots.  While I haven't actually done it yet (way too hot here in Texas) I'm thinking that a couple of turns on the screws would allow the entire gray plastic piece to lift up and off--this exposing the filler neck on the tank and obviating the need to remove the wood panel.
  • Options
    ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 273
    Mega said:
    Hi. I just posted on an old discussion how to fish out the fuse holder I dropped while reinstalling it. The comment said he used duct tape on a stick. How far down do you put the stick. Was he not afraid of the stick breaking or breaking one of the wires in there? I suspect will have to go to dealer because I doubt it is a good idea to remove the black “box” so I can see better or have more room.
    That was me. I had no concern at all. I could see the fuse on the bottom and just stuck it down there and retrieved it. Too small to get my hands in so the stick worked great.
    2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole
  • Options
    MegaMega Member Posts: 69
    I can’t see it is part of the problem.