Options

Surge brakes - parts

RaybroRaybro Member Posts: 11
edited August 2019 in Trailer & Towing
We have a 2007 T@B with ALKO surge brakes. I recently drove with the park brake on and I am in need of new brake shoes. We live in Vancouver Canada and I cannot find a supplier in this area. Does anyone know of a supplier within driving distance of Vancouver, perhaps Washington state? Or, if not, perhaps a supplier that would ship to Washington, we have a shipping address in Blaine Washington. We would appreciate any help with this. I really don't want to order the parts out of the U.K. if we can obtain them in North America. My name is Ray.

(Title edited for search purposes - Sharon)

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    E trailer has Alko brake shoes.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,592
    @Raybro

The e-Trailer Alko brakes appear to be Electric Brake shoes.  Hydraulic/Surge will be a different design.

Didn't Dexter buy-out Alko (or at least Alko's axle/wheel/brake line) which could make web searches for parts difficult.  There are a few Boat Trailer web-sites that list hydraulic brake shoe parts for sale . . . surge brakes are very common on boat trailers.

Assuming your T@B has 10"x2.25" brakes good chance the Dexter K71-393-00 Kit has the shoes you need.

There is a Dexter distributor in your area, suggest your measure & photograph your brakes (drum off) then go talk the these guys . . .

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Hutch1Hutch1 Member Posts: 7
    Try Amazon.com.
    Search under alko 1637.
    Will need axle nuts as one time use.
    Wheel bearings also available. 
    2008 T@b owner from Ontario. 
    Thanks Stephen 
  • Options
    I have spoken to the Dexter distributor and the fellow I spoke to  knew exactly what I was looking for and advised me that Dexter no longer carries any of the Alko surge brake parts.  What we have is a 6-1/4" drum with 1-3/8" break shoes and is all a cable operated surge brake system. They suggested that we would have to get them out of the U.K.  We have found locally a business that will  re-line almost any size shoe and I am going down today to talk to them to see if they can do it.  I will post what the results are after I talk to them.  Thanks guy for the feed back.
  • Options
    Hutch1 said:
    Try Amazon.com.
    Search under alko 1637.
    Great find.
    LAS 10700 Bremsbackensätze for ALKO, P. Type List, 160 x 35 cm mm
    Raybro said:
     What we have is a 6-1/4" drum with 1-3/8" break shoes and is all a cable operated surge brake system. They suggested that we would have to get them out of the U.K

LOL . . . Amazon notes the LAS Brakes are International sourced;
    Ships from and sold by Amazon Global Store UK.

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 923
    edited August 2019
    Search "ALKO 1637" - like others said
    I saw several offerings for the bearing/nut needed and several brake parts.
    NuCamp once had the ALKO brake kit that included everything and the bearing /nut kit available.
    If you wore out the brakes it is likely the bearings got way too hot and lost all their lubricant.  I'd replace the bearings while I was doing the work.  I speak from experience...... :|  

• Options
    I took the brake shoes to a local business and they said no problem to re-line the shoes.  We should get them back by Friday.
  • Options
    Hutch1Hutch1 Member Posts: 7
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    As far as I know nuCamp still stocks the brakes and bearings. Call one of the recommended dealers to order and drop ship you a set.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Ronb67Ronb67 Member Posts: 4
    Hi Raybro, were you able to get your brakes resigned and did it work. I am having the same issues.
  • Options
    @Ronb67;  FYI, Trailer Boat Trailers use Surge Brakes
                             Go talk to your local Trailer Boat Shop,
                             Expect they can help you with any/all surge brake issues.

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 923
    @Ronb67;  FYI, Trailer Boat Trailers use Surge Brakes
                             Go talk to your local Trailer Boat Shop,
                             Expect they can help you with any/all surge brake issues.

The surge brakes on the DM Alko chassis are a mechanical cable opperated system that is unique to the European Alko chassis used and very uncommon in the US.  They are as simple as bicycle brakes to adjust and maintain.
    Boat trailers and a few very early Pleasant Valley (LG?) T@Bs use hydraulic based surge brakes and have nothing in common with the system used on DM T@Bs

• Options
    Ronb67Ronb67 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the responses,  I have since been able to find the brakes in Germany and I have also found a guy in the Us that can reline my existing brake pads. I also found a UK ebay link that has these brakes, although neither Germany or the UK ship to the US. You'd have to hire a shipping company to pick them up.