Options

6” vs. 8” Drop

rjgorsrjgors Member Posts: 41
When we first bought the T@B, we had a 2013 Escape 2.0 as a TV. Everything was level with a 4” ball drop. This past summer we traded the Escape for a 2019 3.5L V6. XTL (with lots of extras.) the 4” drop wasn’t enough and I went with a 6” drop. I’m thinking an 8” drop is what’s needed. Any opinions on this?

Bob
Richmond, MI

2019 T@B 320 S

Comments

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    Here's what I did: Measure from the ground up to the top of the receiver on your TV. From the top of the 2" ball on your drop hitch to the ground needs to be at or close to 16". The difference is the drop hitch length you will need. At one point we had two TV's. One took a 2" drop hitch. Using this method I figured out that the new TV needed a 10" drop hitch as there was an 8" difference between the two vehicles. I hope this makes sense, and your magic number is the 16" from the ground to the top of the 2" ball at the end of the drop hitch when attached to your TV. Good luck!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    Picture of @Homebodyatheart text for finding Drop/Rise

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    I would load the tv with everything you will carry on a trip. I thought I might need a 8in drop also but once I loaded the truck it dropped down to a 6in hight.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    rjgorsrjgors Member Posts: 41
    Here's what I did: Measure from the ground up to the top of the receiver on your TV. From the top of the 2" ball on your drop hitch to the ground needs to be at or close to 16". The difference is the drop hitch length you will need. At one point we had two TV's. One took a 2" drop hitch. Using this method I figured out that the new TV needed a 10" drop hitch as there was an 8" difference between the two vehicles. I hope this makes sense, and your magic number is the 16" from the ground to the top of the 2" ball at the end of the drop hitch when attached to your TV. Good luck!
    Thanks for the response. I measured as noted and I have about 17.5”. So with another 2” drop will take us to about 15.5”. Should I assume a slight drop is better that than a rise of 1.5”? Just concerned about fish tailing.
    Bob
    Richmond, MI

2019 T@B 320 S
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    It is best if you do the measurements with the Tow Vehicle loaded for a camping trip as some rear sag will occur.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @rjgors, to answer your last question, yes, it is better to tow with the nose of the trailer down than the nose up but the best position is level. We did all that measuring, before we purchased also and still ended with the trailer nose up after loading and towing our new trailer home. We needed another inch of drop. From the photo alone I'd say yes, but other contributors have given you the best advice as I will, load that tow vehicle with your take along camping gear to verify if you'll need another inch or 2 drop.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.