Options

Tire valves?

I'm all packed and ready for my first big solo trip out West. Leaving Sunday morning. Long trip for maybe a few months.

I haven't moved the TAB since April after two short trips to Indian River. So, under 600 miles on it since buying it. 
I wanted to check the air pressure. After I removed the gauge the air started coming out. It would not stop. Only the cap is keeping it in now. 

The tire is low now that I've been fooling with it. I've read on here about faulty valves? I guess the only thing to do is remove each tire one at a time and take them to a shop. Twice. I don't want to cross the country without knowing the best fix. I'm not sure I'd want to attempt anything myself on something as important as the tires.

Thanks for any suggestions. I've not posted for a while but I do look to see what I can learn from everyone and what is new. 
I did learn here how to mount the spare onto the tongue using the MaxxHaul 70214 and exhaust clamps. 
Thanks for all that help! Christine
2022 F-150 STX. SE PA and beyond...Christine

Comments

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    If it is just a bad core, you can probably swap those yourself, having an air compressor to air up afterwards will be needed though. Only way to replace the entire stem is breaking the bead and that might not be a bad idea, but will require a tire shop.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited September 2019
    Search YouTube for "valve core replacement" video.
    You can purchase a kit (tool and core) at Walmart or auto-supply store.
    Before you do that it can't hurt to spray the core with some WD-40, press the pin in a few times with the gauge, and see if that provides a quick fix.
    If there is enough air left you can drive it somewhere close by with an air compressor.
    If not, you can purchase a 12V air compressor at Walmart or auto-supply store. 
    If you only need to top it off, a bike foot pump can work with lots and lots of strokes.
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    One way or the other you will need to put air back into the tire so you should probably expect that you will need to remove the wheel and take it to a pump...unless you have one... What I would try is to see if you can get the stuck Schrader valve core to reseat. The core is that little point inside the valve. It compresses when you fill the tire or if you check the pressure. When it compresses it opens. It should re-seal when you push it down and then let go of it. Give it a small shot of silicon spray and then push it down (use a small screwdriver or other tool). Let it go quickly and hope that it reseals. The risk is that you will lose all of the air in the tire trying this. So...be prepared. It will be much harder to remove the wheel lugs, get a jack and jack stands in place when the tire flats so do this before you try to reseat the valve.
    These valves are usually very reliable so odds are slim that the other wheel will have a problem I would check to see if the valve core is tight on both valves using the tool that @TabberJohn suggested. That tool is one that you should always have with you on trips. It should come with a few replacement Schrader cores. You should replace the one you are having trouble with.
  • Options
    CJvagabondCJvagabond Member Posts: 38
    Good Morning! Thank you for the advise. My dad said to spray it with DW-40. I tried that and it was still stuck. I'll check it again with a small screwdriver and see if it has loosened overnight.
    I've ordered the tool kit with cores from Amazon and will check Walmart too. Won't hurt to have to if they end up being in stock at Walmart.
    I'll try that first. Right now I don't have anyone to help with getting the tire off.
    I did purchase a small compressor for my travels. I'll replace the core and fill the tire. I really think I'd prefer to have both stems replaced with steel ones as I've seen mentioned on here. For now I'll start with fix #1. 
    When I checked the air in that tire the gauge said it was 40. The other tire was 35? It seems to be OK. 
    Thanks so much everyone!! :) 

Here are a couple pics of the spare mounted on the tongue. It seems to be all tight and I've got tools to check it along the way.

• Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    Walmart will have the valve stem kits in the RV/automotive section. They will also have many of the other things you might need.
    The kit will include the tool for turning the valve and spare valves. Any auto parts store will also sell these kits. Be sure that you use the correct length core as they come in different lengths. Most kits include both.
    Hm...you might want to have a tire changing plan before you head out on the road. You need to tools, a jack and a plan for how to change one. A repair service is not always an option in that most flats happen in the most unlikely places. 
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    Good Morning! Thank you for the advise. My dad said to spray it with DW-40. I tried that and it was still stuck. I'll check it again with a small screwdriver and see if it has loosened overnight.
    I've ordered the tool kit with cores from Amazon and will check Walmart too. Won't hurt to have to if they end up being in stock at Walmart.
    I'll try that first. Right now I don't have anyone to help with getting the tire off.
    I did purchase a small compressor for my travels. I'll replace the core and fill the tire. I really think I'd prefer to have both stems replaced with steel ones as I've seen mentioned on here. For now I'll start with fix #1. 
    When I checked the air in that tire the gauge said it was 40. The other tire was 35? It seems to be OK. 
    Thanks so much everyone!! :) 

Here are a couple pics of the spare mounted on the tongue. It seems to be all tight and I've got tools to check it along the way.

You sound like you're heading the right direction.  I think the DW40 was supposed to be WD40(Water Displacing 40).  It's not a lubricant or release agent.
    If you're looking to release frozen metal fasteners, use PB Blaster or similiar.  There's far to many lubricants out there to list.
    You can also find the valve tool in the bicycle section or at a bicycle shop.  I actually have one on built on  the valve cap on my bicycle tube.
    I don't know the specified tire pressure for your model but you can find it on the sticker on the tongue.  It's NOT on the tire sidewall. 
    Metal valve stems are a good idea on trailer tires due to the pressure increase while trailering.  We always ran metal stems in all our company trailer tires.
    Since you have a compressor, while at Walmart pick up a tire plug kit to allow you to plug punctures.  Have a tire shop show you how to use it.  Very simple.  I'm glad I've carried and used one for years.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    CJvagabondCJvagabond Member Posts: 38
    Thanks for all the great advise and suggestions.
    I hope the core replacement works. Sometime when I can easily get to a shop I'd like to replace with metal stems. 
    I have added a tire plugging kit to my toolbox. Years ago someone did that to a tire on my old Ranger and I watched. I did later take it to a tire repair shop to have it properly sealed.  
    Most times I'd call my insurance for help but I do go places where there is no cell service and often pretty remote. I really should learn to change the tire. I have the lug wrench too. Just not a torque wrench. I figured that with the bottle jack, which seems awfully tiny, I'd use my truck's jack. I can't fit it underneath by itself because it's a bit too high but once I got it up a few inches, then I could add the truck jack for stabilization. I think that might work? 
  • Options
    NCNativeNCNative Member Posts: 95
    I had a problem with my valve stems leaking and had them replaced quickly and easily with metal ones at Les Schwab. super nice workers there
    N@VENOTSE
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite   
    SF Bay Area