Jack It bike carrier

RayJimRayJim Member Posts: 128
edited September 2019 in Products and Accessories
I purchased the Jack it bike carrier for my T@B Boondock and installed it. Two problems with it, one you need an additional part to bolt the carrier to the trailer's frame. Second loaded with two bike the bike carrier rubs against the top of the front tire cage. So some modification during installation were necessary. I drilled new holes for the spare tire cage and moved it back, and a spacer was used to attach the bike carrier to the trailer's frame. There is still some contact/rubbing between the bike carrier and the spare tire cage but not as much. Any body have a solution to prevent contact with the spare tire cage? 
2021 T@B Boondock 400. 2021 Toyota SR5 V6

Comments

• MiquelCamoMiquelCamo Member Posts: 91
    You might wrap both with rubber, maybe tie it on with zip ties? You could then embrace the proximity and put a clamp around both which could offer additional support. Amazon has some long hose clamps that might work. 

https://www.amazon.com/Boao-Pieces-Adjustable-Stainless-Clamps/dp/B07HRRW1PF/ref=asc_df_B07HRRW1PF/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309877834013&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15634189764921819930&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1020610&hvtargid=pla-574002885269&psc=1
    Mike and Lisa Campbell
    Springfield, MO
    2016 T@B Max S - Sold March 2020

• BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    @MiquelCamo, that sounds like a catchy slogan - "Embrace the proximity!".

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • RayJimRayJim Member Posts: 128
    Thank you i will try your suggestions 
  • atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Did you purchase the jack it through All Pro Adventures or  some other dealer?  All Pro says they provide a spacer and extra long bolts.  Looking at it for our 400.  Thanks.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
    Yes they did provide the spacer for free after I emailed them and complained, now it appears the sell the spacer for $40.
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    How thick is that spacer they sell for $40?

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
    About the same thickness as the bolt heads holding in the jack.
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited November 2019
    @BrianZ, I too purchased the "Jack-IT" with the supplied spacer from All Pro Adventures.  I just put my 320S in storage, so I don't have it at home to measure the spacer thickness for you, but maybe the below photo will give you an idea.  A couple months ago, I made All Pro aware that their spacer is not quite thick enough to allow the "Jack-IT" base (tower) to fully clear the Boondock spare tire cage.  I experienced the same metal against metal contact between the tire cage and the "Jack-IT" that @RayJim has described.  I also advised All Pro that the bolts they provided with the spacer had insufficient thread.  The upper neck of the bolts they supplied were not threaded, so the bolts could not fully extend through the nuts welded to the T@B frame.  I purchased three (3) fully threaded  2 1/2" bolts (see second photo) to replace what All Pro provided, but 2" would have been sufficient.  Hopefully, All Pro has corrected these issues.  I recently traveled 5600 miles with the "Jack-IT" carrying two bikes and it worked well.  The Lippert Components instructions for mounting the bikes are not very helpful, but my wife and I eventually figured out how to properly mount them.  Now, it is a very simple process.  I also purchased the Bump-It hitch attachment from Lippert, which allows me to take our bikes with us when we are not pulling the T@B.

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Bayliss,  I noticed the new supplied bolts in your last Picture.  I also see what looks like nuts fixed to the underside of the tongue plate.  When I mounted my Jack it, the mount plate on the tongue did not have any nuts on the under side.  I added 2 NYlock locking nuts.  there are about 3 threads into the mounting plate on the tongue.  I also noticed the warning stamped in the mounting base on the tongue jack telling you to limit the torque to the mounting bolts to no more that 20 ft lbs torque.  The Jack it from All Pro came with the mounting plate and 3 longer bolts.  The included instructions from lippert leave something to be desires.  They mentioned to install the bolts, washers and nuts, but did not include nuts or picture them.  So far, liking the carrier and going out this weekend to see how it works.  Now, if the bikes would only load themselves!
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited November 2019
    Thanks @atlasb.  That is odd that there were no nuts on yours.  Maybe nuCamp or the frame manufacturer re-thought that and added the welded-on nuts.  When I installed the Jack-It tower base, I also saw the torque warning on the trailer tongue, so I did that.  Good info to share, however, for others who may purchase the Jack-IT.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)