Options

2020 T@B 400 non Factory Solar

I was recently looking at a number of different 2020 T@B 400s. Some with factory solar, some without. I noticed that the 400s with solar did not have an external Zamp connector and the ones that didn't have solar, did have external Zamp connector. And I guess that makes sense. My question is, how is the Zamp connector wiring terminated inside the trailer? Is there a charge controller at the end of the Zamp wiring?

2020 T@B 400 BDL
TV 2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 3.5L 4WD with Firestone air bags.
MODS: BMV-712 battery Monitor, MPPT 75/15 Charge Controller, Fantasic Fan PWM control
Central Ohio

Comments

• Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 617
    The charge controller is on the Zamp solar panel.  The Zamp plug on the T@b is just wired to the battery.  I added a Zamp port on my 2019 400 that had neither the factory solar, or a Zamp port.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    One issue I see from a technical standpoint is all panels with the charge controller at the panel is you have some DC line loss getting to the battery. If you are running 25-50 feet from the panel to the battery are they getting full voltage to the battery?
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    DeanPDeanP Member Posts: 14
    Thanks @Horigan @N7SHG_Ham.  That's exactly what I was hoping to hear.  We pick up our 2020 T@B 400 BDL this Thursday and that was one thing I forgot to ask about.  I intent to have two 100W remote panels with 30 feet of extension cable and I'll install a Victron 75/15 MPPT SmartSolar charge controller in the trailer near the batteries.  I'm going to add a Victron BMV-712 Battery monitor as well and I think we should be good to go.

2020 T@B 400 BDL
    TV 2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 3.5L 4WD with Firestone air bags.
    MODS: BMV-712 battery Monitor, MPPT 75/15 Charge Controller, Fantasic Fan PWM control
    Central Ohio