Options

How Do You Make the T@B Side Tent Bug Free

tpurr02tpurr02 Member Posts: 49
After setting up the side tent -- which is super easy with two people -- I was surprised at the two big holes that were near the handles on either end.  I was sure that people praised the tent for keeping the bugs out so I thought that perhaps we had set it up wrong.  I called the Pahaque folks -- who were really nice -- and he said nope we set it up right there are holes that's why the flaps are there.  So, for those who have the side tents, what do you do to close those gaps so that bags can't get in?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    BBchBumBBchBum Member Posts: 105
    I think being bug free is relative. Generally speaking, if you are out west there are significantly fewer bugs flying about than in the southeast. I don't think anything is completely bug free. Spray a cloth with repellant and put it in the area that my still have gaps after you have secured the flaps. That should keep them away for a day or so. Then renew when it begins to wear off.

I was along the Olympic peninsula one summer and did one of those short trail hikes adjacent to a turnoff. If was very beautiful - all green and mossy and quiet. When I returned to the parking area I saw a young family get out to do the hike. They were spraying themselves with bug repellant and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why. So, I stood very still and was subsequently buzzed by about four mosquitos. At that point I realized my idea of a buggy environment had been significantly influence by living in the southeast for the past 20 years. I had a work trip with some colleagues to the Everglades one July and we were at the end of a rough road access. We stopped the vehicle to see if anyone wanted to get out and take a closer look at the habitat. Everyone declined and agreed to take photos through the window. I had to turn on the windshield wipers so that we could get a clear view. Thousands of mosquitos were beating their tiny little bodies against the vehicle longing for a quick meal.
    That's a lot of bugs. ;)  
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Did you camp on the Peninsula? Gonna hit it this summer.
    I do night photography, start about an hour before sunset - I Minnesota in the summertime it's first the knats, then the Mosquitos, then the flys. They come in waves :-(
  • Options
    BBchBumBBchBum Member Posts: 105
    edited May 2015
    I haven't camped in the peninsula.
    In the panhandle Cape San Blas is really nice. You are poking out into the Gulf.  Also Grayton St Park.   The beach there is exceptional. Sugar sand.  If you have or rent a kayak/canoe/boat then go over to Little St. George Island in the mouth of the Apalachicola River. It is a beautiful beach ridge and dune barrier island. It's state land. You can camp overnight but you need to notify the state park before you go. You would launch from St George Island and then paddle over. I would suggest you pay attention to the tides if you go so that they don't push you out into the Gulf or Bay to much. 
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    I have a Thermarest instead of the Paha Que.  We have a small gap, especially at the back.  I lay a dish rag over it and clip with a metal office clip.  I would post a photo, but haven't mastered the "resizing".
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    BentrBentr Member Posts: 58
    The keder rail that runs along the top and bottoms edges has a gap at either ends around where the rear handles are. Since the tent attaches to the T@B using this rail system, there is necessarily a gap where it is not attached to the side of the trailer. 
    Ben Trelease & Eleanor Bell - Seattle, WA - 2009 T@B Bell@luna TV Subaru Forester
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    ThermaCELL -- a small contraption that is keeping the Mosquitos and bugs away from my brother and I in the woods while turkey hunting. That's my answer for keeping Mosquitos out of about a 15x15 area. It works!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    tpurr02tpurr02 Member Posts: 49
    Thanks, Verna,

I will try the Thermacell!