Options

My Mods

This is my first mod, which involves a microwave and mounted TV.  I did not get the factory microwave because it was mounted too high. The reason I thought it was to high is that my wife is only 5ft tall, and I  thought that she might dump out hot liquid over her head when pulling things out of the microwave. Buying one then storing it in a cabinet taking up space was not something I wanted to do. Instead, I built a cabinet at the end of counter top and put TV on the end of cabinet. It turn out to be great. I can read the caption on the screen at 70 (lol) which was a big PLUS. I installed a notebook holder on back side to keep the trailer info in. I tapped into kitchen receptacle & installed a new one under the counter top in the angle panel.
I also took a piece of plastic frosted glass that was between stove and the TV, and cut it into strips to use it for railing on top of cabinet.  The microwave is Toshiba black stainless 900 watt. It takes 1350 watts to run it, therefore the factory inverter was useless to use at 1200 watts.

Next I installed a 2000 watt inverter. The inverter is a Samlex PST-2000-12. The original inverter only  powered three receptacles in the trailer. I rewired the trailer so all the receptacles go through the inverter. I also installed a manual transfer switch. In addition to to inverter, I installed a solar charger, a Victron solar charger, MPPT 100/50. I installed a battery monitor from victron, a BMV-712 Smart, which bluetooth connected so you can download an app to monitor using a connected device like a smartphone. The cables in the trailer were replaced with 2/0 cable. The original wiring was 4 gauge. I also wanted to put an on/off switch between the battery and the inverter. The reason for this was so I could have control over the connection versus always having a direct connection. Inside the battery box there is a catastrophe fuse to protect most things connected in the trailer. I have two 100 watt Renogy portable solar panels, and I installed hinges and handles to make suitcases out of them.

Comments

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 7
    Wow. That is very cool. nuCamp should mount their microwaves like that. 
  • Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 487
    edited October 2019
    I'm impressed.  We have the built-in microwave and are frustrated that it cannot be run off the inverter.  It seems our choices are to switch out the microwave for a lower-power alternative, or switch out the inverter for a 2000W version.  I am leaning towards the heftier inverter and was wondering why you chose the Samlex PST-2000-12 over the AIMS PWRIX200012SUL.  The AIMS unit does automatic AC switchover and seems to be cheaper, too.
    Also did you run the inverter output back to the main breaker panel to power all the outlets?
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @rh5555 I can't speak for why the OP went to Samlex and I don't know that the Aims is bad, BUT I can say Samlex builds a very good product. I have two Samlex inverters I use for work applications and and they haven't had any issues AND are very "quite" electrically.

One of the ones I have is a small one, I think 150w and uses a cig plug. It is twice as big as an older 300w I used to have, they are beefy units.

I am going to add a 2000w to my 400, leaning toward Victron multiplus for inverter, charging and auto transfer switch. I already have Victron solar charge controller and BM 712, integrated system seems like maybe a good idea.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    edited October 2019
    If it's not a rude question, what was the cost of both these options of 2000W inverters?
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    I have a 2800w Honda generator which I always carry in my truck bed and a 5 gallon can of gas. It will run the microwave and the AC together at a pinch. The AC has a soft start. With a larger inverter the batteries would discharge pretty quickly running the microwave.
    Of course if it's sunny out the solar panels will share. What has been your experience running the microwave off the inverter? My youngest was an over the road truck driver and his truck had an inverter. We bought him a small microwave, two of them actually, but they never worked right. It may have been that the inverter output was not a sinewave. Just curious.
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Like the mods. What bracket/ mount did you use for relocating the TV?
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab