Can AcuRite Thermometer Run on Batteries Only?

I just bought an AcuRite 06036 Thermometer system with three remote sensors. The manual says the 110V power adapter “is required as the primary power source to enjoy the full functionality of this product;” the batteries are meant as a data backup. 

I’ve sent an email to AcuRite, but I’m wondering if anyone uses this system on battery only and if so, what functions are compromised.

https://www.acurite.com/indoor-outdoor-multi-sensor-display-with-3-add-on-sensors-02076m.html
Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
2019 Subaru Ascent Premium

Comments

• N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    You could probably use on external battery power ie wired to camper DC power BUT verify what the AC adapter is outputting 1st. I have a weather station at my house and the internal batteries are just that, a memory backup. All functionality is disabled unless the external power wall wart is plugged in and providing power.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    Find out how many watts it uses.  Says it only has  a 5v adapter, so the wattage is probably pretty low.  I'd buy some rechargeable Eneloops and a charger and just replace/recharge as needed.  Can't imagine they would sell a product that would not be "fully functional" when on batteries.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    Thanks for your comments. AcuRite responded to my email saying that except for the backlight, which will only illuminate for 10 seconds, the unit will function fully on battery power alone. However, all settings, data, etc., will be lost when the batteries die. I can probably work around that by plugging it in when I plan to change the batteries.
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium