Spare Tire vs Slime Repair Kit

So today I decided to remove the spare tire from our Outback. I was concerned that it was just a little too much weight bouncing around on that Yakima. After removal, weighed tire and mounting hardware. Came in at 60 pounds. IMHO that's too much of an eccentric load on the rack and roof.

So now the debate shifts to the question of eliminating the spare tire entirely and carrying a Slime Tire Repair Kit. In the past 35 years, all of my flats ( including motorcycles, knock-on-wood ) have been slow leaks by nails or screws that were repaired by driving to nearest tire store. However someone mentioned earlier that trailer tires may get shredded before you even know there's a problem. Good point.

Comments please.

Comments

• source3source3 Member Posts: 144
    edited May 2015
    80 miles to the closet small town with limited facilities, 6:30pm Saturday night, bad weather, no cell phone reception, no CB, no HAM radio, spare tire blown, wheel destroyed.  Your choice. I rather be prepared than rely on others to come save me.

I recommend go find a good welding shop and talk to the fabricators about welding up a spare tire mount.  A good fabricator can have great ideas.  Also search the internet for what others have done - from horse trailers, construction trailers, to travel trailers.  Take some examples to the fabricator to get the ideas flowing.  Or go buy a nice MIG welder and get to work.
    Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO
    2015 S Outback

• NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    If you go with no spare, make sure you get that AAA Extra Gold Ultra plan ;-)
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I love my spare tire ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304

How does it go? A picture is worth a thousand words? Perfect explanation Verna.

The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Wow Verna, that's a real blowout.
    The worst blowout I've ever had was crossing a railroad track where a spike had come out - Not only went thru the tire but right through the rim as well. And to the meme that you never have a flat on a nice sunny day, It was night, I t was -5 degrees and I couldn't find my scissor jack handle. Managed to get it jacked up using the handle from an xacto knife - still can't believe it worked.
  • RadRad Member Posts: 516
    Verna said:
    I love my spare tire ;)
    Bingo, we have a winner
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I had to swerve to miss an SUV who was backing up on the interstate and was coming into
    the right lane. The Silver Shadow tilted up on the left tire, so I swerved back to the right, and the right tire slammed down, blew and also bent the axle. A few more moves and I had it under control. AAA changed the tire and I limped home, not knowing the axle was bent. State Farm took care of all damages except my $100 deductible--rim, tire, melted trim around the fender and a new axle, plus installation of all of it. That night was not one of my favorites. Don't even get me started on idiots who don't have the time to drive less than 5 miles to the next exit when they miss their exit!

I do now carry an 8 ton Harbor Freight bottle jack, plus the lug wrench I mentioned. Except on a busy interstate, I can change my own tire. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    Recently saw about a 35 footer with dual tires. Rear tire on right side went flat and shredded about a 3rd of a mile more. Driver looked totally lost as to what to do.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • geromogeromo Member Posts: 33
    i use to use the "slime" stuff until the tire shop refused to work on the rim as everything was coated with a sticky goo to include the valve stem and wheel. Very difficult to clean up before they could replace the tire. 
  • RadRad Member Posts: 516
    geromo said:
    i use to use the "slime" stuff until the tire shop refused to work on the rim as everything was coated with a sticky goo to include the valve stem and wheel. Very difficult to clean up before they could replace the tire. 
    I was going to mention that, very common understandable reaction of the shop folk.

• MelindaMelinda Member Posts: 2
    Curious.  Did you see a decrease in sway when you pulled the tire off the back?  I'm thinking of mounting mine on the tong.  I'm getting more sway and bounce than I should and I think it is that tire mounted so high behind the axle.  

• sabelsabel Member Posts: 283

Melinda,
    Haven't  towed it since removing spare. Weather has been too bad. Snowing here. But it towed very well with spare on top. Don't  expect any changes but will report back.