Spare tire

We have a TAB 320CS with the spare tire under the rear. I cannot locate any device or mechanism for lowering the tire when it's needed. Do you just loosen the bolts and let it drop? Thanks

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Yes.  Not access friendly in the cold and wet.  It can also reduce your clearance.  Many owners move their spare up to the tongue.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    Moved my spare to the tongue for a few years, but last year put it back underneath. 8 years and I have never used the spare, so I'm taking the chance I can get by another 8 years without the pain of dropping it.
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    We have a TAB 320CS with the spare tire under the rear. I cannot locate any device or mechanism for lowering the tire when it's needed. Do you just loosen the bolts and let it drop? Thanks
    Yes. Its probably a good idea to prop it up with some kind of blocks while you loosen the nuts. Like many others, I moved my spare to the tongue. IMO the trailer needed a little bit more tongue weight, anyways.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Estancio said:
    Moved my spare to the tongue for a few years, but last year put it back underneath. 8 years and I have never used the spare, so I'm taking the chance I can get by another 8 years without the pain of dropping it.
    Hopefully you bought a new spare to put back underneath. The original is basically timed out now and may be false insurance should you actually have a need.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    First camper I had had no spare. The camp club leader said just carry fix flat. Second trip out I hit a housebrick in the road which toasted my tire. So I always carry a usable spare now.
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited October 2019
    Hit a housebrick.... There's a new one. Sheesh!
    Tundra57 said:
    First camper I had had no spare. The camp club leader said just carry fix flat. Second trip out I hit a housebrick in the road which toasted my tire. So I always carry a usable spare now.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    In over 55 years of driving I think I have changed maybe 2 or 3 tires on the road. That being said I have always carried a spare. I figure the only time I will need one will be when I don’t have one. I don’t care where it is as long as I don’t forget where I put it.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    @Dalehelman that's my view. The spare that came with my tab is wrong size 205 instead of 235 but it'll fit and get me somwhere safe with time to replace the tire. When funds permit I'll get the correct spare size. If I knew it would be smaller I would have added the correct one to the cost before I took delivery.
    I am that unlucky person who everything happens to. So I know!! :-)