Options

New floor plan for the 2019 400 Boondock Lite

2»

Comments

• Options
    NRBNRB Member Posts: 2
    I like the idea of the fridge higher up for accessibility.  But wonder if you hear the noise of the fridge running when your head is on the pillow of the bed.   I imagine trying to sleep at night and hearing it kick on right next to my head.....  but maybe it’s silent?  I am looking to buy, don’t have a Tab so I don’t have a concept of if people can hear the fridge running or not. 
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    I imagine there would be some noise when the propane burner kicks on.  I have asked NuCamp if they would install a Norcold model DE0788 refrigerator in that location in lieu of the Norcold model N3104.  The DE0788 is a two-way (12vdc & 120vac) and the N3104 is a three-way (12vdc, 120vac, & propane).  A compressor operated refrigerator is more efficient than a gas absorption unit.  I have no idea if the compressor would be loud enough to be disturbing at night.  As soon as I hear back from NuCamp I will place my order and then we'll find out.  I use to have a loud pendulum clock that struck the hours.  It woke me up constantly for the first few nights but after that I never noticed it.
  • Options
    TabfortwoTabfortwo Member Posts: 157
    edited October 2018
    From my experience the 2 way fridge is much louder than the 3 way fridges. You get used to it but it's obnoxious.
  • Options
    kaylevine1kaylevine1 Member Posts: 165
    I hear the fridge kick on and off all night long-so far have not gotten used to it-air conditioner too

• Options
    RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    Why not a two-way 120V/Propane?
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    ColinsTab400ColinsTab400 Member Posts: 25
    For those camping in cooler climates... the extra venting for the 3 way fridge allows for some cold air to get in to the camper.  Noticed that when looking at one with that configuration last week.  

• Options
    Awca12aAwca12a Member Posts: 286
    We ordered our 400 Boondock Lite without the 3-way fridge because having traveled 15,000 or so miles with an ARB electric fridge, we found out they are energy efficient and handle hot weather extremely well.  Couldn't say the same for the 3-way actually installed in our other trailer.  As to the microwave, it takes away the upper right cabinet and to us the space is more valuable than the limited use we would give a microwave.   Now that they've gone to the HepvO sanitary drain and the 5-1/2" deep Dometic kitchen sink, you can easily store a 3-qt, 600w InstaPot under the kitchen sink.  With the InstaPot, we can do everything the microwave would have done and much more all while running on the inverter.  Besides, the main closet is so brilliantly designed that even if the 3-way was a better technology, I'd be unwilling to give up the space and easy access so the valves below.  
    F150 Pulling 2019 T@B400 BDL
  • Options
    1968Healey1968Healey Member Posts: 64
    Falcon1970,

Were you successful in getting NuCamp to switch your new build from the Norcold N3104 (3way) to the Norcold DE0788?  My wife and I are looking to order a 2020 Tab 400 in next few days and are hung up on which fridge to get.

For reference, the 3way N3104 might as well be a 2way (AC and Propane only).

N3104 - DC 16amp draw (3 way / 30 inch tall)
    NR751 - DC 3.6amp draw (2 way / 20 inch tall)

DE0788 - DC 3amp draw (2 way / 30 inch tall)

2020 T@B 400
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    @1968Healey
    nUCamp agreed it was doable and that they would be willing to install the larger 2-way fridge in the closet space in lieu of the 3-way.  However, I suddenly realized that neither of the larger refrigerators would fit through the cabin door.  As the refrigerator (or almost any appliance actually) will eventually fail and need to be replaced I decide to stick with the smaller 2-way refrigerator under the stove.  Nucamp did suggest that an expired refrigerator could be removed through the window over the bed and the replacement would also be put into the cabin the same way.  Just a few moments reflection will tell you what an operation that would be! Maybe not a big deal at the factory with several people available, but a different situation in my driveway--or even at a dealer.
    In any case, I think the smaller 2-way refrigerator under the stove is plenty roomy enough unless you are trying to camp with a crowd.