Options

What is the T@B 320 floor made of? soft floor?

mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
edited November 2018 in Modifications & Upgrades
What is the T@b 320 floor made of?  
not the top layer.  but the material below that.   the reason i ask is because i just got a brand new 2018 CSS.   the floor seem a bit soft to me.    not sinking,   but there is definitely a slight softness to it-  should i be worried?   it does not feel solid as walking  on solid floor.   this is more at the entrance area.    is there a layer of foam below or something like that?  anyone has photos of what is below the first layer??

i did not feel this at the showroom floor as i had shoes on.   but now that i am home and barefoot i can feel it.   i also only weight #135. 

are all floor like that?

Comments

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    I believe it's a sandwich of two thin layers of "Azdel" composite with aluminum framing inside, and foam inbetween the framing & Azdel layers.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    so is the slight softness consider normal?  or should this feel solid as a solid floor ?
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited November 2018
    Can confirm all those layers described... drilled a 4" hole in the floor.  No worries, the softness is normal.  On some campers with similar aluminum framed composite floors, I've seen posts from people who don't like the soft floor, and they put down a bamboo or equivalent snap-lock material overlay.  Fairly cheap given the small area.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    DougH said:
    Can confirm all those layers described... drilled a 4" hole in the floor.  No worries, the softness is normal.  On some campers with similar aluminum framed composite floors, I've seen posts from people who don't like the soft floor, and they put down a bamboo or equivalent snap-lock material overlay.  Fairly cheap given the small area.
    thanks!!!  the reason it made me think of it is because several post on Facebook group page showing an actual sinking floor on a 2018.    the approach  of getting an overlay of the floor seem to be a great idea...  but what could be done for the heat vents at the bottom?    
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @mreric, I would have the floor looked at if it seems to be an issue. There have been reports of soft floor issues, some I've read here, and some on facebook as well. Better to be safe, than sorry later when you're out of warranty. Just my humble opinion.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    ericnliz said:
    @mreric, I would have the floor looked at if it seems to be an issue. There have been reports of soft floor issues, some I've read here, and some on facebook as well. Better to be safe, than sorry later when you're out of warranty. Just my humble opinion.
    sure.   good advise.  

for the new model the sagging floor seem to be rare.  i was surprise to see 2018  model with a actual sagging floor. 

anyone has photos on how the floor is sandwiched 
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    From an earlier discussion on floor construction.  This is what I saw on my 2016 when drilling floor vent hole. 

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Interesting, @DougH.  Is that a thin layer of plywood under the top gray layer [of Azdel I presume]?  Hard to tell exactly what we're looking at.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    "So the (floor) layers are (from the bottom up):  vapor barrier, 1/4" miranti or azdel, 1" aluminum framed floor with insulation/styro, 1/8" miranti or azdel and then linoleum."

...from...

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/991/floor-construction

...but my understanding is we only have azdel nowadays, not luan/miranti.  So even if the aluminum framing is 8" on center there will still be flex.  Some areas of the floor may have wider aluminum framing widths than others.  Don't know.  I only used stud finder in far back storage area where I needed a vent.

Stock linoleum floor:

Mannington Adura Rigid 5.5mm Luxury Vinyl Planks 6x48":

Something that thin (but twice the Azdel thickness) shouldn't need modification for heat vents, but I've no clue how much it would stiffen the floor or how much weight it would add to camper (if your service advisor says your floor is normal).

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,527
    There have been a few reports of soft floors on new TaBs.  I can’t find the posts, but it seems like it was either due to use of a replacement product or the aluminum grid framing was off somehow.  I would ask the dealer to examine it so you have a record under the warranty time frame.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ktsamektsame Member Posts: 39
    We have a 2018 320 S and the floor did need to be repaired before picking it up in August.  The floor covering had bubbled significantly.  I have noticed that the floor does feel soft when stepping on it with bare feet but you don't feel it when you have shoes on.  I have been told that this is normal.  I am taking the trailer to nuCamp at the end of the month for a couple of modifications.  I am planning on having them check the floor.  On another note, there is a ripple in the middle ceiling panel and the metal panel that is on the ceiling over the sink and cooktop is coming unglued - those things will be repaired under warranty.  The only other problem we have had is the Jensen entertainment unit needs to be replaced because the CD/DVD part doesn't work.  All in all, we are very happy with the trailer and can't wait to get camping in it in the Spring:)
    Kathy 
    2018 T@B 320S - Cl@ra

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,527
    That’s it - bubbling- not a soft floor.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    thank you all for all the answers. 

the photo of the floor construction helps me a lot to visualize what i am feeling under my feet,   the center part being foam and the other 2 layer being so thin it explained the spongy feel. - i think what i feel is actually normal based on this.   

but i do think Nucamp has the room to further improve the feel of the floor by using a thicker top material that has less flex.  maybe the sofitel has a better feel ?