I need a pep talk! How to Camp alone

13»

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Would you believe the T@B 400 Boondock Lite is easier to back up than the T@B S Max?  It’s true!

And, you know those free with coupon blue flashlights from Harbor Freight?  Lay one of these lights on the ground about 5’ from the T@B on each side if backing in at night. Just back in between the lights and you’re n your campsite. Voice of experience.... ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Verna said:
    Would you believe the T@B 400 Boondock Lite is easier to back up than the T@B S Max?  It’s true!

And, you know those free with coupon blue flashlights from Harbor Freight?  Lay one of these lights on the ground about 5’ from the T@B on each side if backing in at night. Just back in between the lights and you’re n your campsite. Voice of experience.... ;)
    Yes, the longer the trailer, the easier to back up, as was told to me when I started with a tiny M416 military trailer. That was a real piece of work to back up 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Love the flashlight idea @Verna!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @ChanW, I told two owners of 30’+ travel trailers that this is how I do it, and they both looked at each other, laughed and told me I just saved them the eventual marital argument that happens every time they back up at night!  I was surprised that a former semi truck driver didn’t know about it, but he said he always had the lights of the business’ truck dock to back up to. I’ve done it for a few years and it just works very well. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Perfect independence. I like it.

And the "helpful person" that @jkjenn mentioned, is always going to screw me up - even though I've been backing trailers for 50 years! (Kind of like screwing up my pool shot at the local pub!)
    Verna said:
    @ChanW, I told two owners of 30’+ travel trailers that this is how I do it, and they both looked at each other, laughed and told me I just saved them the eventual marital argument that happens every time they back up at night!  I was surprised that a former semi truck driver didn’t know about it, but he said he always had the lights of the business’ truck dock to back up to. I’ve done it for a few years and it just works very well. 

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @Verna I used two Luci lights at the shed doors the only time I had to push Bug in after dark. Made life much better easier!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    We don’t back in at night since we follow the 330 rule, but I do carry some small orange cones, which work in the daylight.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    If you have a spotter, the best thing for them to do is simply be a safety lookout AND let the driver know to stop before hitting something!! Let the driver do the backing, and for goodness sakes if there is more than two of you, all the other onlookers need to stay out of it. Nothing like getting conflicting directions and advice from everyone in the crowd!
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    edited January 2019
    I'm not very practiced with backing, but I can do it.  The biggest problem with helpers or being a helper is trying to explain what the driver needs to do.  It is easier for everyone to be quiet and use hand signs to point or signal.  Just stand where I can see you in the mirror and point the direction the back of the trailer needs to go.  Yell only to stop.
    Something like this!

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497

Luci lights work great for this, too.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    Shhhhh! Don’t tell him, but I almost completely ignore DH when backing the 320. I always thank him, it’s just easier to go with what I know. My sense of spatial relations is much better...

It is a tale
      ------- full of sound and fury
    Signifying nothing.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    I think it is particularly hard for someone who doesn't have their own experience or intuitive sense of backing a trailer to try and direct the driver. I agree with N7SHG_Ham's idea that best help you can get is just having someone watching make sure you don't accordion your T@bby into a nearby tree. Unless you are backing straight up, you are usually limited to seeing only one side of the trailer at a time. 
    2015 T@B S
    @ScottG I’ve found that adjusting the passenger side mirror to point downward allows me to see what I need to miss better. Many sites I stay in use large rocks at the drive entrance. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    If at all possible always driver (sight) side back vs blind side backing. GOAL often if unsure. https://youtu.be/cMjxnVp0wvs
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Homebodyatheart, I know all about the ignore & thank you thing. I had good seats the first time at Lincoln Rock. :fearful::rofl:
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

@ericnliz I had forgotten about the time I was brand new and you helped direct me. Guess Mr Homebody isn’t the only one I’ve ignored to some degree... :rofl:  =)