Options

HOT brass part on ALDE unit touching seat cushion

LyneLyne Member Posts: 27
Ok so everyone was so helpful on my previous question , I would like to ask another. Just got back from a quick two day trip to test everything in my new camper. I love it for sure and am glad I am finally a t@b owner. Here is my question: when I went to use the hot water heater, I took the seat cushion off that covers the ALDE unit just to keep an eye on it while it heated my water. I noticed how hot the brass round part got because I accidentally touched it when putting the cushion back in place. That brass part sits level with the wood frame and the bottom of the seat cushion got very warm after just a few minutes. It bothered me, so I cut the water heater off and left the cushion off until the brass part completely cooled off. Are all units like mine or is it too high. Dont think I can sleep at night knowing there is something so hot touching the bottom of the cushion.

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Ok, took my seat off to see what's what - Looks like the brass thing is inline with the hoses for the radiators. My Alde isn't on at the moment but the fluid would get "hot" but just like the hot water, not hot enough to start a fire. But it sure would feel hot/scalding to the touch. I personally am not concerned about it, all the "really hot" parts are internal to the Alde. But, if it bothers, get a thin piece of foil insulation at the hardware store - It will look similar to those shades people put inside their windshields.
    What are others take on this?
  • Options
    Thanks, good fix for my peace of mind
  • Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    I used my Alde for several days in bitter cold and even the seat got hot.  Some people sleep with their head to the rear and if the Alde is used I don't know how they are going to do with the heat, it's hot!
  • Options
    Sgtjohn - Would my suggestion about insulation solve the hot seat issue in your estimation?
    I can see where if you sleep with your head to the rear it would get too hot, probably 75% of the Alde heat comes out the rear radiator. And the slot vent is directed right at you. I drilled vent holes in the shelf theat directs the heat up - I did it because I thought too much heat was getting trapped inside the cabinet and in some cases trapped when bedding blocked the vents - There's pics somewhere here in the forums. But, if your head is under the back cabinets, even with the new vent holes, it's going to be warm. Luckily I'm short and traveling alone so I ca sleep sideways out from under the cabinets.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    We always have the Alde off at night, cuz it was too hot.

We prefer sleeping under a cozy down comforter with the windows cracked ever so slightly.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    My original question is getting a little lost. I  concerned about the brass element/part touching the underneath of the cushion. It gets hot enough to burn your hand when just using hot water. I will probably never use the heater either. SC weather just never gets colder than a sleeping bag fore.

• Options
    BentrBentr Member Posts: 58
    Lyne, as PXLated mentioned, it gets hot enough to burn your hand because of the very hot water but is very unlikely to be hot enough to burn fabric or wood. I would suggest contacting LG or your dealer to see if they can offer reassurance. Another option would be to attach something like a flame protector (made for protecting wood framing from being scorched by a soldering torch) to the underside of the wooden cover just above the hot fitting. 

http://m.lowes.com/pd/Oatey-Soldering-Flame-Protector/1043403
    Ben Trelease & Eleanor Bell - Seattle, WA - 2009 T@B Bell@luna TV Subaru Forester
  • Options
    Thank you so much. I trusty dealer completely, they were already closed and will talk to them in the am. Appreciate the reply and link very much.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Ya, what feels Iike it can burn your hand isn't nearly hot enough to start things on fire. Just don't touch it ;-)
    My house of 30 years had radiant heat and if you touched the pipes they'd be to hot to hold - probably hot enough to cause a blister. But, those pipes ran through holes in the wooden floor joists. If there was a danger, I'm sure there would have been a building ordinance of some kind.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Verna sent a note on to the factory and am sure they will look at this issue. You are going down the right pathway by contacting your dealer first and if there is an issue it can easily be resolved via them and collaboration with the factory. Could you post up some re-sized photos so we can see what the bench area looks like Lyne? And I agree, since there is hot water in the pipe it shouldn't pose any fire issues. I'm sure your local hardware or Home Depot has a pipe cover-up solution that will help ease the heat problem and give you some relief. Keep us posted on how it goes with your dealer.
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Will post images when I get home. Thanks!
  • Options
    Here are a couple photos and thanks again for the assistance. See where the brass part actually sits above the framing for the seat cushion to rest on by the gray stick I placed across the frame. This to me means that the part is actually touching the seat when in place (why seat cushion is getting hot). I have never spent this much money on a camper, or purchased a new camper. I just want someone to tell me that it is normal and no need for alarm. I want to be able to leave the camper for a day hike and not worry about it catching on fire. Please also excuse my ignorance to this system. It is all brand new.to me.
  • Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    Here's a photo of my system. The brass valve is a bit loose on the hot water line so it sets about 1/2" below the seat underside. That probably helps cool it a bit but I'll probably still line it with something like foils wrap. Thanks for the heads-up.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited April 2015
    Lyne, that's interesting to me, because mine actually is installed like Sabel's is, tilted down a bit, so that the brass relief valve ends up below the level of the seat cushion bottom.

I'd thought it was a but of a kludge, to make it fit, because it really looks as though the hose should be horizontal like yours is (which then would give me the problem you've got). With it up so high, I'd be careful that the seat isn't pressing on it, it might fatigue the hose connection on the boiler.

I'll be interested to hear if LG thinks mine is correctly installed, or yours is.

I've wanted to install some insulation of some kind under there, but it hasn't bothered us enough yet for me to get around to it.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Hi Lyne, I hadn't forgotten about your question.  Here's the answer from Alde, via the Pleasant Valley factory:

"We did contact ALDE regarding the issue and this was the reply:

"There is zero inches of clearance required for the bleeder and hoses so you should be just fine" "

And from me:
    So this is one of those things that we just have to accept. While the pipe feels hot to touch, it doesn't really represent a fire hazard. 

Thanks for for your patience
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thank you for the reply. Next trip is in August at the beach, so had no issue waiting for an answer! Probably cold showers and air conditioning on that trip.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

In some welcome relief from the heat and humidity, night time temperatures are supposed to get down to around 32 degrees here this week. Yippee!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    86 here in SC, and not even summer yet
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    jkjenn said:

In some welcome relief from the heat and humidity, night time temperatures are supposed to get down to around 32 degrees here this week. Yippee!

Groan.....says the woman who spent the winter in Arizona so I wouldn't have to deal with the cold ...... I just checked and it's only getting down to the upper 40's here.  I can stay in my shorts!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Figured that'd be the response having lived with radiant heat systems most my life - Things seem hotter than they really are to the touch.
    Weather - Freeze warnings all across western Kansas/Nebraska. Fled further north, still cold/windy but supposed to start getting nice tomorrow. Found a great COE campground on the Missouri River just outside (south) Yankton, SD - the Cottonwood campgrounds. Have to hang out and hide until my brothers' retirement party on Friday - He works in Yankton, hence the hiding.