Furrion camera system for Tab 400

johnny_swindlejohnny_swindle Member Posts: 19
edited November 2021 in Products and Accessories
I am thing about ordering the Furrion camera system and thinking about placing it just above the lights over the rear window.  I would need to get the power from one of the lights.  Has anyone installed one or removed one of the lights in question?

Just curious.

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • johnny_swindlejohnny_swindle Member Posts: 19
    Thanks @Sharon_is_SAM:

Those are all good discussions, but none have done what I would like to do. I want to tap into the lights above the rear window for power. I might be uncharted territory with what I want to do.

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Oops.  Yeah, I think those were 320 discussions.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • PamandJohnUpNorth2PamandJohnUpNorth2 Member Posts: 141
    @johnny_swindle    I don't remember anybody posting about mounting above the window on a 400 but I think @MadMike has pics and info on mounting a rear camera below the window on a T@B400. Maybe you already saw that post but if not it is in the middle of this thread:
    If you do mount above the window please share with what you learn!
    Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota
    2018 T@B400 and a 2018 Ridgeline 

• N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Thanks @Sharon_is_SAM:

Those are all good discussions, but none have done what I would like to do. I want to tap into the lights above the rear window for power. I might be uncharted territory with what I want to do.
    Of course you will only have power to the camera when the lights are on, obvious I suppose, but a small inconvenience. I would assume the current draw on the camera is small and the lighting circuit could handle that long with the wiring at the lights?
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I spoke to a guy in an RV shop about a rear camera and he noted that that is exactly what they do, they pick up voltage off the top lights and install rear cameras high and in that location.  

I took Atlas’s valuable advice and we always leave the shades up on the front and rear windows of our 400 and this allows you to see through the trailer and see traffic to the rear and behind the trailer during travel.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
    Thanks to everyone for the feedback.  Good information.

• grsiepkagrsiepka Member Posts: 58
    sorry to bump an old post, but @johnny_swindle did you ever do this? Would like to hear how it went. Thinking of doing the same on our 400.

2020 T@B 400 Boondock Lite - 2018 Toyota Tundra Platinum - Tempe AZ
    @grsiepka,

Sorry, I have been so busy with work, that I have not been on the forums.  I decided to not use the lights above the rear windows.  I am currently attempting to mount a camera using the license plate light for power.  But I have run into a problem and I think I may have inadvertently pulled on the wires too hard as I have lost power to the light.  Will have to track down the issue.

• ecstaticecstatic Member Posts: 65
    I can tell you that T@B 400s now come with a backup camera from the factory (at least my BDL did), and they are mounted on the license plate frame and wired in so they work when the TV lights are turned on presumably through the same wiring as the license plate lights.
    2020 T@B 400 BDL    2019 Silverado 5.3L V8
    Chili, NY
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Waaiitt Just one minute-I just saw a Chevy Silverado commercial touting an option for “enhanced invisible view”. Whatever you’re towing disappears and you look at the screen and see the territory behind your Chevy as if nothing is there!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited September 2019
    Hmmmm. That would definitely provide peace of mind....
    Nothing back there to worry about! Not even your trailer!
    jgram2 said:
    Waaiitt Just one minute-I just saw a Chevy Silverado commercial touting an option for “enhanced invisible view”. Whatever you’re towing disappears and you look at the screen and see the territory behind your Chevy as if nothing is there!

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • WannaBeMiniWannaBeMini Member Posts: 13
    @jonny_swindle our Tab 400 never had working license light.  I also wanted to use it for camera.  Ended up running power from main panel, so always on.  Have a remote relay switch wired so I can turn off when needed 
    Pat, Steve, Rowdy & Shadow
    2018 T@B 400 - "T@KO T@B"
    edited October 2019
    For what its worth, i'm trying to tackle this now.. I've opted for some off-brand chinese wireless cam with 5" monitor, but had really good amazon reviews. There's like 5 different sellers listing the same camera. The one I got was "iStrong HD 720P Digital Wireless Backup Camera and 5'' Monitor Kit" 

Started the install process last night, I'm planning on installing the camera up high in place of the center marker light above the stargazer window. I chose this one over the furrion as this sits up a little higher, and was concerned about the view over the edge of the window.

If anyone knows of an easier way to remove that window I'm all ears.  After removing the hold up supports from the bottom we had to unscrew a locking screw in a channel near the top rail, and slide the whole window and rail out of a track to the right to get it out, that lets us stand on the bed and get easy access to the light.

Those lights are held in with 2 screws (square head screws) and then stuck on with gobs of silicone, used a plastic scraper to cut through all the adhesive and the light popped out.

For a cleaner install, i had to enlarge the hole that the light wire comes through so that I can tuck the camera's wires into it. Not for the faint of heart drilling into the metal skin up there. 

I only got as far as that so far,  will try to finish this up tonight and post a few pics.
  • AndreOAndreO Member Posts: 69
    Hi folks
    Some important considerations when deciding where to mount your observation camera.

I have a Furrion Observation Camera, dealer mounted just under the rear window, even though I asked for it to be mounted above the window.   Likely as it was the easiest place to mount it. However I found it to be less than desirable.  (Note: It is the observation camera and not just the backup camera)

The camera is design to be pointing down from above and not straight back.
    1) Therefore the distance markings are calibrated as such and therefore meaningless horizontally.
    2) Due to the low location of the camera it catches the sun when it is low in the sky which whiteouts the screen.
    3) For the same reason, after dark it is totally useless as the headlights of the cars behind you point directly into the camera lens which also whiteouts the screen.

2018 T@b 400 - Ford F150 2.7 turbo crew

AndreO
    Ontario, Canada
    2018 Tab 400
    Ford F150 2.7 Lariat
  • JohnnyQJohnnyQ Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2020
    Understand this is an older thread, but @grsiepka, did you ever succeed in mounting your backup cam above the stargazer window? I too would like to put my rear-view cam up there--but on my 400, I can't for the life of me figure out how to reach that spot! Has anyone replaced a light bulb on the three clearance lights above the window? @AndreO, I completely relate to the problems with a rear-view cam that is too low! (Should add that I really don't want to try removing the window.)
    edited October 2020
    @JohnnyQ I did. It's not for the faint of heart though and honestly I wouldn't do it again. 

I had to remove the stargazer window (which I remember was a giant pain) and stand on the bed to get to it.  I pulled off the center light, and had to make a bigger hole than what was there to get the camera wires tucked in. And obviously new holes to mount the camera. Followed by generous amounts of silicone to hopefully prevent leaks. 

The camera is nice to get an idea of if someone is behind you while on the highway etc.. But to use it for backing in is pretty useless because its a fisheye view, which is pretty impossible to judge distance on. YMMV though depending on the camera you get.   If I had it to do it again I'd go the license plate camera route.