Newbie needs a Tab class!

melpetermelpeter Member Posts: 112
edited January 2019 in Camping & Travel
I realize now that my new used Tab is not a trailer but a machine. There’s a 15-minute video for Little Guy Max about all the systems and how everything works. But I haven’t found the same extensive video for the Tab. I have the Tab owner’s manual, plus all the various manuals for the diverse equipment, which I read. But they’re not always well written and clear. Using the Alde manual I got hot water yesterday but I have no idea which thing I did to make it happen. The holding tanks and how to dump them is a complete mystery. How to drain the fresh water tank for travel is vaguely mentioned. How about a Tab workshop!
2017 Tab 320 S
2014 Mazda CX 5
Traveling very light to be kind to my transmission.

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    edited January 2019
    @melpeter, maybe you can hook up with another local TaB owner to learn the ropes.  Seriously!

There is a steep learning curve for us first-time RVers.  Some new owners have been known to pick up their new TaBs and go directly to uCamp in the summer.  There, they are surrounded by 150 TaBs and owners more than willing to share their knowledge.  You are correct, the manuals are typically obtuse and thankfully you have the forum members to guide you.  The first time for everything will be a mystery.  Like anything else, it gets easier with practice.  Use the search area and you can use Google to limit your search to this forum.  Enter the following into your Google search field:

site:http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com [place your search terms here]

It would be helpful to add a signature line so that other members know which model you have and can offer appropriate advice.

Do you have the digital Alde display?  Do you have a single or double dump pipes?  The fresh water tank drain valve is between the passenger side wheel and the step.  All you need to do is open it and let it drain.  I have seen folks trailing fresh water as they leave the dump station, too.

We usually suggest driveway camping until you have a comfort level.  That’s a good way to find out what you don’t know!  Keep reading and asking questions and be patient.  It really is fun!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • melpetermelpeter Member Posts: 112
    Thank you Sharon! I do need to find other Tab owners to camp with, but meanwhile I have found this community and I’m so glad. I’m driveway camping-ish now and don’t plan to go anywhere until April or May so I have time to learn to operate this trailer machine. I have the digital Alde display and manual but It appears that I have to turn on the display each day to make the water heater start up. (?) 

I did find the fresh water drain you mention and I thought I drained the tank but the tank levels display says 13 (percent) so I wasn’t sure if that’s accurate. 

I have double dump pipes and assume the one that originates toward the middle (kitchen) is the gray water. I’m not using the toilet. I can drain that middle pipe on our mulch and sand driveway. Gray water is legal here. Since I bought used I’d better forego draing the black tank in my driveway just in case it wasn’t dumped properly. 

how do I make a signature line? Just type it on each post?

2017 Tab 320 S
    2014 Mazda CX 5
    Yes.  For cabin heat and hot water via the Alde you must keep it turned on at the display.  You can set the display to fade so it is not constantly bright.  If you have filled the Alde water tank and turn on the Alde, it heats the water to a set default temperature.  If you elect to increase the water temperature via the boost, it will be extra hot for 30 minutes.  If you boost the water temp while heating the cabin, the glycol pump will stop circulating to provide more heat to the water sleeve inthe Alde.  After 30 minutes, it will default back to the standard hot water setting and resume glycol circulation (if you are heating the cabin).

The SeeLevel is notoriously inaccurate.  At about 13-25%, the pump will start sucking air as the tank is empty.  You may be able to drain it more by lowering the tongue.  I found the gray tanks to be full and overflowing the shower floor at about 80%.

The black tank valve handle is black and directly under the front, driver-side corner.  

Regarding the signature line, what device are you using?

• melpetermelpeter Member Posts: 112
    Thanks for info on Alde and See Level. I’m mostly using my iPhone. Occasionally my MacBook Prob 
    2017 Tab 320 S
    2014 Mazda CX 5
  • mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 87
    there are a lot of good youtube videos. You just have to look for them. look at the Nucamp channel, owners Mandy Lea and Jenn Grover have done a lot of helpful ones too. 

https://youtu.be/mRMzTGOGyFE
  • mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 87
    This Q&A was from üCamp rally last summer.

https://youtu.be/oss0U3xejjA
  • LaniLani Member Posts: 2
    Another great YouTube series to look at is Travels with Delaney. He covers all areas of the T@B 400 and systems in it. Very user friendly .
  • PamandJohnUpNorth2PamandJohnUpNorth2 Member Posts: 141
    @melpeter X2 on what @Lani said. Here's a link to the Travels with Delaney channel on You Tube:
    Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota
    2018 T@B400 and a 2018 Ridgeline 

• Tabmann400Tabmann400 Member Posts: 22
    @melpeter, I fully understand your situation, it is a "complicated machine" with various components and not a simple trailer.   I found that out myself, after I bought my Tab 400 last April 2018.   Since it is not parked on my driveway, but in the storage lot, I find it hard to learn various "systems components" in my Tab 400.  You are correct about the Tab manual and that nuCamp should have an "orientation CD or video" on how to operate and maintain those components in the Tab.  Lani (the post above) is correct about Travels with Delaney You Tube videos.  I learned a lot about my Tab 400 from Pat McCormick of Travels with Delaney.  One of his videos is about "winterizing the Tab", where you'll see the location of the fresh water drain plug and other low-level drain plugs near the Alde heater box on the Tab 400 and it may be the same with the Tab 320.  I also learned a lot from fellow Tab owners via this forum. They are great and very helpful. I am getting close to the one year mark with my Tab 400 and I am now beginning to register those "equipments/components" in the Tab. My problem right now is locating the Model numbers and Serial numbers to register those equipments.  If you have questions on an equipment/component, more than likely, it has been discussed and answered in this forum.  You may attend the uCamp Rally this summer to meet other Tab owners.  I am going to register for the uCamp Rally this summer to meet and learn from fellow Tab owners.  Congratulations on your Tab and happy camping.   
    Manny & Anne, from northeast Florida,  2018 Tab 400,  Silver with black trim, towed by 2017 Ram 1500
  • targtarg Member Posts: 81
    edited February 2019
    On the iPhone, you can not access the Full Profile Edit necessary to set up your signature line.  You need to do it from a PC or an Android device.
    Not true.  You can get there from an iDevice.  You just need to use the "Request Desktop Site" feature. 
    How you do that depends on what browser you are using.  I'll assume most users are using the built in Safari browser.  In Safari, in the address bar, simply touch and hold the reload icon (the roly poly arrow to the left side).  The option will come up for requesting the desktop site. 
    Sometimes, after doing this, the forum page will throw up an error page saying there was a problem.  No idea if it's a forum issue or a safari issue but if it happens, just hit the back arrow a time or two and the site should reload in desktop format.  From there, you can get to the profile editing tools - including the sig setting.
    The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ
    2019 T@B 320S BD Lite, Jeep TJUR, Jeep JT

edited February 2019
    How about some screen shots @targ.  I use Safari and my roly poly arrow (Refresh) is on the right of my screen.
    I think it worked!  Now to try it on a non-Mod iPhone!
    edited February 2019
    @Sharon_is_SAM, Screen whats? ;)
    Sorry, my brain is backwards.  You are indeed correct that the arrow is on the right.
    I'd do a screenshot, but I have no editor on my phone to resize it to meet forum rules.
    But just mash and hold it and it should bring up the option to get the desktop site.  (I'm using iOS 12.1.3, but I think this has been available for a while.)
    The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ

It worked!  Something to add to a tutorial I am creating.  Thanks for that!  Don't worry about the screen shots.  I will include that, too.
    edited February 2019
    Screen shots are good, but you might want to edit the post up above or your autocorrect may end up costing you your moderator's license.  =)
    (Although it's quite hilarious as posted.)

• jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Someone needs more coffee.🙃
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

Ok, fixed it.  Isn’t there a way to have an auto edit on our devices?!