Options

Bought a 2004 T@B T2

Hi everyone.  This fall, with snow already on the ground, after months of looking at small fiberglass campers, a used T@B came up FS locally for a decent price, and we snapped it up.  It's in very good shape, and the kitchen looks like it's hardly been used.  We are looking forward to camping this next summer.  We have a Nissan Frontier truck for a tow vehicle.  Looking forward to reading thru threads on the forum, and gleaning some good tips & advice from other members.

Daryl

2004 Dutchmen T@B T2 (fiberglass!)

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    Welcome!  Wow, looks like you got an especially early one!  Does it have a production number?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    GreatWhiteNorthGreatWhiteNorth Member Posts: 57
    Hi Sharon.  Yes, it was built in 2003, so literally 1st year production.  I'll see if I can attach a pic of the identiplate.

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @GreatWhiteNorth, welcome and congratulations on your trailer! Happy t@bbing!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    @Mouseketab, where can you find the production number?
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Last 4 digits of the VIN, so his is #451
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    One thing, I see that the original Jockey Wheel was replaced with a foldaway front wheel. It's up to you, but purchasing and putting in a new jockey wheel is not that hard.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Some things to check.... Check the wheel wells for gaps. Seal around them really well. You don't have a CoolCat, but still check the front seam on the bottom for seal. Also, you might want to look into keeping a set of bearings and brakes on hand. Contact a dealer of your choice, and have them contact Elsie at NuCamp for a set of Dutchmen Al-Ko sealed bearings and a set of brake shoes. They are not easy parts to find, and if you are on the road when something happens, you don't want to be stuck waiting for parts.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Unfortunately, yours will probably not have a Keder rail, so attaching an awning will not be possible.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Check the brake handle for adjustment. If it is "up" at a 45 degree angle, then you are good. If it is "up" at 90 degrees, you need to adjust. NEVER, EVER, EVER, move the trailer with the brake handle up.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    According to your sticker, your trailer is 1763 dry and 1939 gross. So watch what you put in the trailer for travel. Heavy stuff such as chairs, EZ-Ups, screen rooms, coolers, Dutch ovens, grills, etc. probably need to go in the back of your tow vehicle. Only put clothes, cookstuff, and bedding in the trailer for travel.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    Chains look a little close to the ground in the picture, might need to shorten them up.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @GreatWhiteNorth, I noticed the chain length too. I'm hoping it's just the camera angle, but even then they could be shortened up a few links.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Hi guys & gals.  Sorry I didn't notice the comments building up!  I've been looking at mod threads.  I know with these older units there are things to watch out for.  I've been doing lots of reading, before and after purchase.  The soft floor issue was/is very important for me, and the floor is a little soft where you step in, but not bad.  I'll get an aluminium diamond plate cut to fit on the floor there to spread the load and reinforce it.  No signs of water damage anywhere.  Regarding towing set-up, I bought a proper 2" by 2" drop hitch for it, as that 1 1/4" receiver adaptor just locates the ball too rearward... why the chains are like that.  That was just to get it home.  It tows fine like that tho BTW.  

-30C here ATM, deep winter, and the trailer is parked outside.  I upgraded an interior light already, but nothing else done to it of significance.  Would there be interest in starting a thread on what I find as I go along, mods done, etc?
  • Options
    Of course we want to hear about your mods!  It is a testament to the design that these rigs hold up as well as they do.  Please keep us posted.
  • Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 414
    This is cool! I wonder who has the oldest model in the forum.
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    Custom Colors & Custom Interior
    We've slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• Options
    I know a couple that own T@B #100 Liz and Geo Headley. They are one of the ones that replaced their floor themselves.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Is it actually possible that they would have made 451 units in 2003, first year of production?  The T2 is really low production, as they were fiberglass skinned, and I don't think they made many of them.  They are not even mentioned in the 2004/2005 brochure!

BTW, I started another thread on this trailer:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/8323/2004-dutchmen-built-t-b-t2-camper#latest
  • Options
    I'm guessing yours was made in early 2004. The model year for campers tends to run June to May.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Hi Carol.  There's a pic of the identiplate posted earlier in the thread showing a manufacture date of Dec 2003.  I'm really excited about getting out camping with the trailer, in summer.  Deep winter here ATM... cold!  Brrr.

• Options
    logoprinterlogoprinter Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2005 clamshell that did not have the Keder rail but we did add it to use the visor. We mounted it inside of the trim rail on the top of the roof. Bought it directly from sailrite.com
  • Options
    We have a 2005 clamshell that did not have the Keder rail but we did add it to use the visor. We mounted it inside of the trim rail on the top of the roof. Bought it directly from sailrite.com

Thnx for that info, and sorry for the delay in responding.  The trailer came with some kind of add-a-room set-up, haven't had a chance to look at it yet!  Whenever we go tent camping, I normally set up a tarp over the picnic table, and was just planning to continue doing so.

Daryl
  • Options
    That add a room is probably a thermarest and they are in hot demand if you ever decide to sell it.

• Options
    ColleenD2 said:
    That add a room is probably a thermarest and they are in hot demand if you ever decide to sell it.
    Colleen, I'll dig that out and have a look at what's in the bag.  It barely fits in under the back bench - I stuffed it in where the spare tire is.

Daryl
  • Options
    ColleenD2 said:

Colleen, I dug the bag out of the camper and checked it out... it's a PahaQue awning, secured to the camper using the Keder rail system.  Unlike newer T@Bs, or the camper in this pic, the rail on our T2 is mounted across the top edge of the roof (not the side).  the awning itself appears to be exactly like this pic I found on-line.

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @GreatWhiteNorth should you be interested, there's a solid front wall which can be attached to the front of the awning or a mesh screen product per the Pahaque website.  https://pahaquecustom.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=4
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    jgram2 said:
    @GreatWhiteNorth should you be interested, there's a solid front wall which can be attached to the front of the awning or a mesh screen product per the Pahaque website.  https://pahaquecustom.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=4

Thnx!  Might look into that.  We'll see if we use that awning much.  Much of our camping is short 2 day trips somewhat local.  The whole point of buying a camper was less set-up and tear-down (I've some health problems that get in the way).  Also, looking forward to being able to pull over at reststops, and being able to crawl in the back and have a short nap if necessary.

Daryl
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    The previous owner must have bought the awning much later, as that one wasn't in production when your T@B was new.   There was an add-a-room that predated the Thermarest, and it was grey and black.  Thermarest also made an awning called an Arch Wing, grey and yellow.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    Neat!