Options

Alde glycol question

Looking for help/insight about the glycol level in our T@b. Our 2018 320-CS has been in our garage winterized & plugged in to shore power with the Alde running, to keep it comfortable, since the end of October. It's been a wonderful, cozy retreat all winter to watch movies or read a book. However I went out there yesterday and discovered that it was freezing. After some troubleshooting we found that the glycol tank is empty! We didn't touch the glycol when we winterized in the fall because it was a brand new trailer. There's no puddle or leak under the trailer or near the tank. Our dealer said they've never heard of a glycol tank running dry, but they are pretty useless when it comes to T@bs. So my question is: Is it normal for the glycol level to drop so much over several months of constantly running? Has anyone else left their Alde on for extended periods of time? Any insight will be appreciated before my lovie blows a gasket on Alde and/or NüCamp. 
Life takes us unexpected places. Love brings us home.

2018 T@B 320 CS (white w. black) | 2015 Santa Fe XL (white w. black) | near Toronto, ON

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Yes, I have replenished my glycol level this winter since the Alde has been running every day since about December 10, 2017. The Alde does “use” glycol, just as your wet cell batteries use liquid that must be replenished. 

It is normal. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    George101George101 Member Posts: 48
    Where do you get your fluid?
  • Options
    Elsie in Parts at the factory or on Amazon. I can’t find the link for Amazon right now, but if you search for Century here on the forum (or on Amazon), that is the name of the glycol on Amazon. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    @George101, I found the photo from Amazon of the Century Chemical glycol for the Alde. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    BoulderjayBoulderjay Member Posts: 37
    Verna, Thank you for your help (once again).  My 9 year old and I went out for a driveway camp out last night and had no heat!  I have had the Alde running on shore power all winter on very low.  Just checked the forum to find the location of my tank and troubleshoot.  I was afraid I had a leak somewhere but saw no staining anywhere on the driveway.   I didn't realize the system consumed glycol.  I just ordered a jug of Century fluid from Prime.  Do you think one jug is enough?
    Thanks,
    BoulderJay
  • Options
    Verna, disregard...I just read that i need about 2 gallons
  • Options
    @Boulderjay, you will probably only need a pint or so to replenish what you have used. I keep a 20 oz clean soft drink bottle with a funnel used only for the glycol. The 20 oz bottle is easier to use to pour into the reservoir. 

If you need two gallons, you have a leak, which is more rare than just needing to replenish the glycol the system used. 

Two gallons is used when draining the older glycol and totally replenishing all the glycol needed. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Thank you once again.   I will cancel my 2nd gallon and go from there.

Heading to the Western slope and Moab with the fam in late March and will post up a few pics.  
  • Options
    mikesnewjourneymikesnewjourney Member Posts: 28
    Looking for help/insight about the glycol level in our T@b. Our 2018 320-CS has been in our garage winterized & plugged in to shore power with the Alde running, to keep it comfortable, since the end of October. It's been a wonderful, cozy retreat all winter to watch movies or read a book. However I went out there yesterday and discovered that it was freezing. After some troubleshooting we found that the glycol tank is empty! We didn't touch the glycol when we winterized in the fall because it was a brand new trailer. There's no puddle or leak under the trailer or near the tank. Our dealer said they've never heard of a glycol tank running dry, but they are pretty useless when it comes to T@bs. So my question is: Is it normal for the glycol level to drop so much over several months of constantly running? Has anyone else left their Alde on for extended periods of time? Any insight will be appreciated before my lovie blows a gasket on Alde and/or NüCamp. 
    Good morning,  I to have had the same issue with the glycol/transfer fluid emptying.  Brand new and picked up at our dealer.  Just went out to check alde system with it winterized.  Checked fluid to be between Min and Max and just ran at 1KW for a few hours and when I went to check the fluid/century transfer fluid was gone.  So I purchased a gallon of Century transfer fluid at our dealer and it only took about a quart and a half to bring back to min max level, ran it again and heard a gurgling sound from the alde system and the fluid again fell below the min level.  Called Alde in Washington and she stated to turn the circulating pump down from 5 to 2.  She stated that the level 5 was for priming system and 2 should be the choice for normal running.  It is running fine and very quiet.  This is in a 2018 T@B 400 .  I am assuming you have the same?  Hope this helps.  Thank you 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    So if the pump is set too high, does it cause the glycol to exit via the overflow tube, and that is how you end up depleting the glycol?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Todd77Todd77 Member Posts: 34
    I have also been running the Alde consistently since it got cold, and I have had to top of once since getting my T@B in June.  I have the Century Transfer Fluid that is pictured above and it seems to work fine.  Happy winter everyone!! 
  • Options
    Todd77Todd77 Member Posts: 34
    I am for sure running it as I type this!