Options

New to trailers? Here are items you must have (IMHO)

jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
edited April 2019 in Camping & Travel
New Teardropper? Things needed to get you started.

Must Have:
1. Water pressure regulator-maximum pressure to avoid T@B plumbing damage is 50 psi. Whether driveway or park camping, always use one of these
2. Surge protector-these vary in cost and function, the best check polarity, high and low voltage-always use one
3. Heavy gauge extension cord at least 1 25 footer to reach the power pole if camping with hookups 
4. 50 Amp to 30 Amp adapter-some RV parks allow you to select the correct amp, others only offer 50 amp
5. Spare fuses, 10, 15, 20 amp
6. White water hose 25 feet or two for potable water hookups 
7. Black or other color hose to rinse your black water tank at the dump station
8. Water filter unless you don't worry about campground water supplies 
9. Leveling devices like Anderson blocks, BAL leveler or others. Even paved sites can be off level.
10. 2 small levels for front to back and side to side
11. Anti theft devices like wheel locks, coupler locks and others
12. Voltmeter 
13. Tire pressure gauge 
14. Tools including square drill bits #1 and 2. I think all of the screws in T@Bs are these.
15. Flashlight 
16. Spare trailer keys
17. A tow vehicle capable of pulling AND stopping your trailer.
18. Wheel chocks!
19. Disposable gloves
20. Lug wrench for your trailer tires. Your tv lug wrench may not fit your trailer tires.
21. Electric brake controller (unless yours is an older model with surge brakes)
22. Drop hitch to line up the trailer ball for Level towing.
23. 7 pin receiver on tow vehicle is needed for all T@Bs. Includes a charging wire for the trailer battery 
24. License plates, registration, insurance 
There are hundreds of check lists online and many on this forum. I can't even start on solar power, tv antennas, cell phone boosters, insurance, etc. Search on these items and you'll find many discussions.
25. First Aide Kit (at least a bandage or two!)

I'm sure I've forgotten something really important, add them here please. This is not meant to be exhaustive, but limited to items new trailer owners may not be familiar with but really should have before driving out of the driveway.There are multiple threads about everything mentioned.

John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

Comments

• Options
    SneakleSneakle Member Posts: 131
    That's a good list. Might include 25' of coax cable for folks who want to connect to cable tv at campsites that include that. Disposable gloves. Wheel chocks.
    Tab 320s Boondock
    TV: Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    Thank you! Chocks! For goodness sake! Safety first, then fun! Your coax comment speaks for itself! As I peruse this list, I recall "misadventure" posts that made me lol and still cause a chuckle, part of the fun being a member of this forum.

• Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 411
    Brake controller...
    I have to say the start up cost has been more than I imagined.
    Hopefully, we finally actually have all the basics we need.
    I know we have all the cute throw pillows we need. Hahaha
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    We slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• Options
    Drop hitch and ball. Sounds like duh. Of course. But I had no idea really what I needed. Finally went with an adjustable. 

• Options
    @ColleenD2 Thanks! This thread is meant for people like us when we started. I learned by reading, saying to myself-what the heck is That? Then searching on this forum and the web to figure it out.Simple isn't always so simple.

• Options
    I appreciate it so much. I really did think I knew everything I needed. I think the brake controller threw me most of all. I had never really seen it mentioned. Oh and also, the 7 pin receiver. My car came with a 4, evidently a lot of cars do now, so I had to pay $250 for someone to change it out and to make sure it is hotwired to the battery so the T@B battery charges and don’t let them cut the backup wire or it will screw up your entire system of your car. Anyone saying just an adaptor will work is not telling the truth. Good thing I researched that little number.

• Options
    @ColleenD2 Such good additions. It's hard for me to remember the boatload of things I didn't have a clue about.

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    My budget was around $2k for stuff not including battery, inverter or generator upgrades. The $2k is essential stuff, not a fun thing like decorations, etc.

Eventually will probably have a few thousand more in those electric upgrades for off grid.

Don't forget things like plates, title, registration, insurance, taxes and who knows what else that is all necessary. Lots of up front costs before even going camping once!!
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    @N7SHG_Ham You're right of course, I forgot the legal stuff. There are lots of lists for supplies and camping things. Folks will need to search the forum and web, camp a few times in their driveways and discover what essentials they forgot.

• Options
    I think I wouldn’t know so many of these things and they could be expensive lessons, like a surge protector or the water pressure regulator. I am so grateful to see a comprehensive list. I’d love to see it migrate to the files.

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    @ColleenD2 what I can share with you from my learning experience is that much of what confused and confounded me my first season became second nature by the second season! Driveway camp, put on a movie, play with every system. Try every outlet. Keep asking great questions. Oh, and I keep a small notebook and pen handy all the times to write down things I need or forgot to pack. I promise that if I remember some item on day two that I will forget it by the time I’m home! Have fun with it all! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Liam_n_MaggieLiam_n_Maggie Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2019
    @jgram2 This list is VERY helpful for anyone who decides to dive into this. Thanks for posting it. We've been full timing now for 4 months and were extremely new to this when we started. This site has been a wonderful resource thanks to all of you who contribute  :)
    It was comforting to read through your list and confirm that we have everything on it except the trailer tire lug. Will look at that today. ;)

2017 T@b S Outback. 2016 Toyota Tacoma.
    Islamorada, FL & Westbrook, CT.
  • Options
    @Liam_n_Maggie You're so welcome.  I know earlier lists were posted but as I couldn't find them quickly, I decided we needed yet another one. No harm in a redundancy like this. I learned a lot about trailers just researching these items. You're unlikely to search for something you don't know you need in the first place. Good luck with matching your tv and trailer lug wrench!

• Options
    Liam_n_MaggieLiam_n_Maggie Member Posts: 24
    jgram2 said:
    You're unlikely to search for something you don't know you need in the first place. 
    Haha - so true!

2017 T@b S Outback. 2016 Toyota Tacoma.
    Islamorada, FL & Westbrook, CT.
  • Options
    @Homebodyatheart this is my “front yard”. Hahaha I wish we could driveway camp but we will do a lot of state parks within an hour away. 

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    #17 is my favorite.  

And ColleenD2,
    "Start-up" costs?  Bwwwwaaaaaaaa!!!!  That never gets old!  If you're anything like the rest of us, your Saturday shopping day now includes the RV dealer, REI, Dicks Sporting goods, the hardware store, Lowes, Viking Electric and, if there's money left, groceries....  I quit eating years ago. Saves time I need for mods...

WilliamA 
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • Options
    Ha! We have certainly done the T@Bs across America tour. We have visited so many dealers as we are out tent camping and while we wait for ours.  It’s funny, I am not really a shopper so I will be curious to see if that changes. 

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    edited March 2019
    @ColleenD2 OMG you’d make the local news if you camped out in front of your home! Glad you’ve got a much better plan in place!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    MICamper53MICamper53 Member Posts: 4

I didn't see a First Aid kit on the list, that's something I like to have handy.
    2019 T@B 320S 2016 Honda Pilot Elite
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    One thing we didn't have our first year, but is required by our state, is an annual safety inspection sticker, just like for cars.  We learned about it from a police officer who was kind enough to accept our plea of ignorance & promise to get it done right away, which we did.  After two inspections, I don't recall anything being tested other than lights, but maybe they do more for an older model.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    @MICamper53 Welcome to the forum and thanks! A first aide kit should have been a no brainer. Now I have to go find that YouTube vid demonstrating how to make a sling from dish towel. Which reminds me of the county fair demonstration I did of how to employ a tourniquet. A friend agreed to assist as the “injured”, I foraged a small branch and began to twist a scarf on her arm and promptly scratched her with said branch, actually drawing blood. First I started laughing, then Betsy, followed by everyone watching. Only the judges were not amused. Thank you again for the reminder.