T@b 400 Froli upgrade

DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
edited September 2018 in Modifications & Upgrades
 purchased our 2018 T@b 400 mid July and found the bed comfort to be marginal.  We added a 3 inch memory foam topper which was helpful.  I investigated further and found that the Froli system had the ability to customize the support with the addition of tension springs to increase firmness and Soft spring elements to reduce firmness where needed.  I was able to add tension springs mid bed to increase firmness at the hip area and replace two rows of the spring elements with soft spring elements at the shoulder area.  The changes have made the bed extremely comfortable for both my wife (5'2") and myself (6' 5") even though we are quite different in height and weight.  I was able to purchase Froli parts from the distributor Nickle Atlantic who was very helpful.
2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
Massachusetts

Comments

• atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    The Froli system can also be spaced apart at 2 additional space settings for additional comfort adjustments.  
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • ColinsTab400ColinsTab400 Member Posts: 25
    How much were the extra tension springs?

• DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    edited September 2018
    They were $12.95 for 12 spring tensioners (a pack). I bought 2 packs. I later bought softer springs for two rows for the shoulder area at $3.50/ea. they made a remarkable difference. 
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    We really like the Froli system and have slept comfortably on it from day one.  Linda has had two back fusions, has difficulties sleeping on anything but a sleep number mattress and yet had no issues with the Froli setup.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,411
    Just out of curiosity, what exactly is the advantage of the Froli system over a traditional mattress? It sure looks cool, but also kinda' high tech space age for a relatively simply pursuit.
    Is it strictly about comfort? Adaptability? Bulk reduction? All of the above?
    2015 T@B S

To some extent all of the above. The adaptability, air flow, controlled support really positively effects comfort. My wife and I are very different height and weight and we both are comfortable.  I believe that it allows more comfort with a lighter mattress. My wife initially had hip and lower back discomfort and by adding the tensioning springs and lighter springs at our shoulders we have had real comfort and no longer any pain. 
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    ScottG said:
    Just out of curiosity, what exactly is the advantage of the Froli system over a traditional mattress? It sure looks cool, but also kinda' high tech space age for a relatively simply pursuit.
    Is it strictly about comfort? Adaptability? Bulk reduction? All of the above?
    One thing it achieves beyond comfort level is that eliminates any condensation beneath a standard mattress and older style setups in some of the older trailer units.  This is my 5th teardrop trailer and I know that there have been condensation issues beneath mattresses sitting on flat surfaces.  This isn't intended to evoke any panic or sound an alarm bell, but some folks had mentioned this previously.  

The Froli system is comfortable IMHO and we use the 3-piece mattress setup that is provided by nuCamp AND have an additional 2" foam topper and couldn't be happier.  I believe that the Froli system was utilized by nuCamp for both comfort and adaptability.  These upgrades and advanced technologies/innovations are always being looked at and obviously price is a consideration too as I know none of these systems is cheap.  I spoke to their R&D manager after uCamp18 (and after  sleeping on the system) and told him how much we liked the system and urged him to keep it available.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I looked at a lot of units at our local RV show, even a lot of higher end units only have a mattress on plywood, no spring system at all, so the Froli system seems like a nice upgrade + it is thin compared to a box spring setup AND customizeable too, seems like a great system.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • warren207warren207 Member Posts: 46
    I removed all the frolis from the system. This gave us 2 additional inches from the back slope of the ceiling so we don’t feel like it is right on top of us. Also added a 2 inch memory 
    foam  topper. This also brings down the bedding so the radiant heat will flow up the back wall easier. 
    Sara & Mike/2020 AVIA #0066/Denver, CO
    2014 Toyota Sequoia
  • treefrogtreefrog Member Posts: 95
    We ordered the extra firm tensioners and are happy with them. Made a big difference in comfort.
  • PamandJohnUpNorth2PamandJohnUpNorth2 Member Posts: 141
    @treefrog I am curious about this. Last year we used thin self inflating thermarest sleeping pads between the froli supports and the mattresses and it provides great firm support but makes it very difficult when trying to access the underbed storage so I am thinking about ordering the inserts instead. I'm wondering how many tensioners you used? Did you put inserts in all of the froli supports, or just certain sections?
    Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota
    2018 T@B400 and a 2018 Ridgeline 

We used the tensioners in the midsection (used 24) and also replaced two rows with softer elements at the shoulder area. The combination worked very well for us. (See picture in earlier post).  We are spoiled as we are using a three inch memory foam topper also which in combination feels really nice. 

2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
    @DenisP Thanks for starting this thread on the Froli - I'd say there is nothing wrong with being as "spoiled" as possible while "camping" in our T@Bs :)
    Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota

• treefrogtreefrog Member Posts: 95
    PamandJohnUpNorth2
    I don't know how many we ordered, it was enough to cover 2/3 of the springs. The firmer springs don't bottom out as easily which make it feel like we are on a thicker mattress. I know that sounds odd, but if the springs compress fully, they might as well not be there.
    @treefrog @DenisP Thanks for the insights- I ordered  a couple packs today - if the snow ever melts up here I might get a chance to get my trailer out of storage and try them out :s
    Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota

• kaylevine1kaylevine1 Member Posts: 165
    I have received my extra firm froli additions but my t@b was at the dealer for a couple upgrades-electric tongue jack (love it) and Victron battery monitor-just got it back yesterday so---putting them on the butt area will be Sunday project
  • TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    At least in the 2020 400 model picture on the NuCamp website, the Froli “springs” look different than anything on the Froli Systems website. Maybe some new 400 owners can chime in here as we haven’t taken delivery yet.  It appears from the photo that the “spring” is simply screwed into the wood surface and there is no “base element” as the Froli website shows.  Makes me wonder if one can upgrade any elements in the new 400 sleep system.
  • kaylevine1kaylevine1 Member Posts: 165
    i'm assuming they just snap in place-will find out tomorrow morning

They do just snap in place. Very easy. 
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts