Tire pressure checking

2»

Comments

• Awca12aAwca12a Member Posts: 286
    edited March 2019
    @ScottG
    I learned about re-mounting the bead by putting white gas inside the tire and letting it explode forcing everything into place.   Pretty much the only way to do it with a tractor tire.   Completely understand your expletives and I happily let the shop do this stuff.
    F150 Pulling 2019 T@B400 BDL
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    @Awca12a, yikes! How does that work? Did you have to drop a match down the open valve stem.
    Fortunately I've been able to get my tire beads back on with just air pressure (and a little more cursing, of course...)
    2015 T@B S
  • Awca12aAwca12a Member Posts: 286
    edited March 2019
    @ScottG
    Memories ... something like this.
    You start out all safe, binding the tire and so forth.  Using brake cleaner or something similar at first and after getting frustrated with lack of progress, just dump in some starting fluid, white gas or gasoline and let it go.  I've heard that the key to safety is to leave a trail of flammable fluid so you can light it from afar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsnf3Zj0Vb8

F150 Pulling 2019 T@B400 BDL
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    This looks like something that could win a Darwin award!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    If at first you don't succeed, try try again!  :-)
    I wish I had that much fun at work...
    2015 T@B S
  • SactoSteveSactoSteve Member Posts: 32
    We had the leakage situation discussed it this thread.  I was told, by tire shop, that there was a recall of faulty stem valves, not the stems themselves, just the valves. This recall was in 2007.  Tire shop called it a recall but it may just have been an industry “heads up”?  The “flaw” was in the design of the “O” ring in the valves. Flat ring vs tapered.  

Regardless, apparently many of these valves are still in inventories and supply chains.  The shop replaced the valves on the three tires I brought in, at no cost.

I mentioned the comment made here about high pressure stems and asked if these might be passenger tire wheels not trailer rated?  Shop said all stems are rated above 50 psi (he gave a number but I just remember it was greater than 50)

-steve
    2019 T@B 400
    2018 Audi Q5
    Sacramento CA