Options

Maiden Voyage A Success!!

tpurr02tpurr02 Member Posts: 49
Unlike many people on the forum, not only have we never RV'd, we've never even camped and both of us are over 50!  So after about 4 weekends practicing in the backyard, we finally went to a real camping ground.   Because we wanted to make sure the dogs were ok, we went to the Hershey/Elizabethtown KOA which was only about 45 minutes away.

The trip was fantastic and we were so glad we finally did it.  The most memorable parts of the trip:

1.  Beautiful camp ground and campsite --  a cute little creek was our view
2.  Super helpful staff (they helped us back the T@B into the site which took us about 20 minutes!)
3.  The side tent was wonderful -- great place for our older dog to sleep and just a nice way to expand our living space overall.
4.  Toasting marsh mellows and eating S'mores by the campfire -- now I know why so many people like it!
5.  Hiking along the Susquehanna with the dogs
6.  Stunning sunsets -- nature is a beautiful thing

Comments

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890

Way to go!  A couple of hints on the backing that I'm sure have been mentioned before, but while it's fresh on your mind.

1. The T@B is a short trailer, so just a little turn of the wheel creates a big turn with the T@B.  So, go slow and make short turns.

2. Put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel while backing and move your hand in the direction you want the rear of the T@B to go.

It never gets easy, but it gets easier, especially as the confidence grows.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    To add to Rzrbug's advice...If you can see the edge of the T@B in your review mirrors, watch for the tail end to peak out and correct. If you can't see the tail end in either mirror you're headed straight. But you do need to go slow because of the short tongue and correct immediately. And if it looks like it's turning the right amount, you're probably cutting it too much, it's deceptive.
    Once you get the hang of it you'll do well, just takes a few practice runs.
    Glad everything else went well.
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304

tpurr02, Happy for you, glad that you and the dogs had a good time! Just a suggestion though, you may want to get a patio mat or rug to put down under your tent floor to protect it from the stones. They can wear hole in your floor really easy.   Happy Camping!!

The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    tpurr02tpurr02 Member Posts: 49
    Thanks for the backing up advice -- we will take note of it and as you say keep practicing!

As for the floor mat, we put that on the list of things to get for the next trip.   Do you have any recommendations?  I looked for some on Amazon.com and I really have no idea of which one to choose.

Thanks!
  • Options
    source3source3 Member Posts: 142
    Another backing-up advice.  Do not turn your head around.  Use your mirrors. Many people disagree with this but after towing a trailer for 25 years every working day (I owned a lawn service) I even learned to parallel park my service trailer.

Once you turn your head around your brain and hands get confused which way to turn the steering wheel.
    Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Parallel parked your trailer - I'm impressed :-)
    Totally agree - Mirrors
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    I love this!  I'm so happy for you with your new-found enjoyment of camping.  Just take your time with learning to back up.  We've all been there and so has everyone in the campground who has ever towed a trailer.  Forget anyone is watching.  PXLated's advice regarding making small moves with the wheel is great.  I also use my mirrors.  For me what works is to remember to turn the wheel toward where you DON'T want the trailer to go.  In other words, if the trailer is moving toward the big scary tree, gently turn your wheel toward the big scary tree and the trailer will move away from it.  You'll get the hang of it!  
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    Tpurr02, We use a patio rug that we got from Camping World, it looks like astro-turf has a rubber type backing and comes in several colors to match your tent or T@B. Or you could go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a piece of outdoor carpet cut to size. Just make sure that it is a little wider than your tent so you can use it  to wipe your feet on before stepping inside.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    KatsKats Member Posts: 95
    Congratulations! I's so much fun, isn't it? We are taking our second ever trip down to Cape Cod soon, and it'll be great fun. Finish catching some striped bass, back to the trailer, change, and head out to Captain Frosty's for a big coffee frappe and a seafood platter, YUM!