Options

Towing questions for Nissan Frontier owners

lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
@Normfun & @GreatWhiteNorth & any others with a 2015-2017 Nissan frontier automatic SV V6 w/tow pkg-- I traded up to this vehicle last year & have yet to tow up a steep long mountain pass.  I towed over Monument pass in Colorado bringing my Tab home last weekend.  I was in 4th gear O/D off & stayed in 4th all the way up only having to really get in it once for a very short time@ 4,000 rpm.  At what rpm in 4th gear do you have to downshift to 3rd & do you keep your foot in it while downshifting or do you let up off the gas?  I towed a popup last year & never had to downshift so I don't know what to expect with this vehicle.  Thanks for any info!
2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
Woohoo!

Comments

• Options
    GreatWhiteNorthGreatWhiteNorth Member Posts: 57
    edited March 2019
    Mine is actually an oldie, a 2008 NISMO edition V-6 king cab, with 6 ft box.  I've towed the T@B exactly once... home last fall from purchasing it.  There was a strong headwind, 30 to 40 mph, that I had to push into, and the truck handled it well, didn't even downshift, although it was working hard.  As I was on the highway, pushing into that headwind, I was thinking to myself, any lesser vehicle with a smaller engine, like a 4 cylinder SUV, would really have been struggling to maintain highway speed.  Although streamlined, the T@Bs are still punching a 6 X 7 foot hole in the air.

2004 Dutchmen T@B T2 (fiberglass!)
  • Options
    @GreatWhiteNorth i agree with your statement re an SUV only rated to tow 3500 lbs.  Nice looking TV& you probably have a little less wind resistance with the bed cover

Woohoo!
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,658
    Wouldn't you be looking for your max torque?  This page (if I have the correct engine, I don't know) says the max torque would be 281@4000 rpm.  Whatever gear you need to keep the RPM at/near 4000 would be what you would need.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    lkc001 said:
    @GreatWhiteNorth i agree with your statement re an SUV only rated to tow 3500 lbs.  Nice looking TV& you probably have a little less wind resistance with the bed cover

I bought a proper 2" Square drop hitch set-up, to replace that reducer adaptor, so the trailer will be closer to the truck.  I suspect if a person really wants to gain efficiency, and aid in streamlining, closer to the TV is better, and everything you can do to reduce the vacuum bubble behind the TV would help.  You can see in this speed test, they use a roof mounted spoiler to help with that:

<iframe width="545" height="409" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BLfrEq5-mnc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A person could even have similar side boards!  Dunno how much long distance towing I'll do.  We have outstanding lake country 1 1/2 to 2 hours away.

Regarding gearing, I don't know enough about that to be honest, just figured the automatic transmission would shift down if it needed to when the load got too high?

Daryl
  • Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    If it’s a long hill I’ll turn off the OD then let the tranny figure things out.  20,000 towed miles in 31 states no worries. Very competent truck.  
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    @Normfun. Yes I always turn O/D off when towing— tranny doesn’t search for gears that way— just wondered if anyone ever had to downshift with this vehicle— sounds like you never had any worries there! Thanks! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    A little out of the field but still in the ballpark.  I have a 2003 Tacoma V6 doublecab.  Experimenting I've towed in overdrive but constantly searches/ changes gears.  Very bad for the trans.  My manual says no overdrive when towing.  Check yours.  A lot of engineering goes into these vehicles, along with manufactures recommendations/manuals. 
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    @GatorEgg --I did state that I never tow in O/D--I turn my O/D off

Woohoo!
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    I haven't weighed in here as my Frontier has a 6-speed manual transmission. Like the automatic, the top gear is an overdrive. In general, I only use it at highway speeds on the flat--under other conditions I find I'm shifting so much that I generally just leave it in the next gear down (which--also like the automatic--is a direct drive).
    So FWIW, assuming similar performance from the automatic transmission, I'd be inclined to lock it out of overdrive under most conditions.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Yes, my automatic transmission acts the same, I turn O/D off anytime I am towing so it does not search for gears constantly.  When my O/D "off" button is selected it shows up as a "gear number" in the idiot panel and when the O/D is "on" in normal non-towing driving, it shows "D" for drive.  
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    This has been a very useful discussion!  I haven't had my truck that long, and don't drive it all that much to be honest, as it's a bit of a gas hog with the big tires.  I bought a set of 16" steel rims that came off a Pathfinder, and installed fairly new 65 series car tires that I'd taken off an older Caddy that I retired.  What a big difference in ride and fuel economy, and much sportier handling (not like that's important to me in a truck).  We live in the city, why we use our little car much more than the truck.  I've NEVER de-selected overdrive!  And I've towed our little 12 foot boat quite a bit too... very lightweight set-up, so not a heavy load.

So, thinking about it, it does make sense not to tow in overdrive, to reduce load on the engine and transmission... and checking my owners manual for the '08, it does recommend not towing in overdrive, but not for the reasons you'd think!  There's quite a big section in the manual devoted to trailer towing actually.  On Pg 9-32, in the section on trailer towing, it says "To maintain engine braking efficiency  and electrical charging performance, do not use overdrive."