Options

Noisy Water Pump???

I bought a new 2018 T@B 400  this spring.  The weather in Tennessee is just getting warm enough to experiment with it.  I filled the water tank up and washed out all of the anti-freeze that was in it.  all went well except for the noise.  Whenever I have water running there is a loud rumbling , rattling noise by the bathroom wall.  It quits when I turn the water off.  Is this NORMAL for a R@B 400?  It really is loud and annoying.  Thanks for any help you can give me.
Bob & Irene  2003 F150 V6-Manual
2018 TAB 400
Nashville, TN.

Comments

• Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    I have a 320 and the water pump is a bit noisy.  I’m guessing that it is much the same with the 400.  Some people have attempted to muffle it a bit, but I hardly notice it anymore, once I found out it a “normal” thing...
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Normal...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    Pretty much normal.  Just run the air conditioner--that will drown out the noise of the water pump.
  • Options
    davel4wadavel4wa Member Posts: 91
    RV water pumps can be noisy and that is exacerbated by the on/off cycling. Attempts to quiet the pump include using vibration isolating mounts and care as to which surface the pump is mounted. To reduce the on/off cycling you can install a pressurized accumulator tank on the output of the pump. Those are available from Shurflo and other manufacturers. 
  • Options
    cowboypetecowboypete Member Posts: 37
    Thanks everyone for your replies.  If it is :"normal" and not ready to shake itself to death, I as sure that we can learn to live with it.
    2018 TAB 400
    Nashville, TN.
  • Options
    Great advice, That sounds like it would help quite it down. 
    Do you know where the water pump is exactly?   It sounds like it is probably behind the wall on which the shower head is mounted, but I was hesitant in just pulling panels off the wall of my brand new RV to try and find it.
    2018 TAB 400
    Nashville, TN.
  • Options
    PamandJohnUpNorth2PamandJohnUpNorth2 Member Posts: 141
    @cowboypete The water pump would be found in a compartment that is accessible inside the closet. The bottom of the closet floor can be lifted out and there is the water pump.
    Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota
    2018 T@B400 and a 2018 Ridgeline 

• Options
    MNtabernacleMNtabernacle Member Posts: 19
    We found the same noise issue - sounded like it was coming apart. The piping on either side of the pump was hitting the wall and the edges of the holes where the pex passed through. I added a snap-in pex clamp spaced out from the wall with a wood block so it would keep it's normal routing. It worked great. The following link is from Menards (big box store).

Tim & Joan, Anoka Minnesota
    Silver on Silver 2018 T@B 400, 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Great idea, @MNtabernacle !
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Thank you all for the great information and ideas.  I will look at the pump and take your advice.  Thanks again,  Cincycowboypete
    2018 TAB 400
    Nashville, TN.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    klenger said:
    One thing that can cause excessive noise is if the hoses to/from the water pump are touching or close to the wall, normal shaking during pump operations can cause the hoses to bang against the wall.  If you can access the pump hose with the water running, you might find that the noise if reduced when you hold one or both of the hoses.  While I have not done this yet, some split water pipe insulation from a hardware store wrapped around the hoses could help a lot. 
    This is actually a great idea.  I have looked into the closet access area of the 400 and if I can slide some pipe insulation up the PEX lines it should help out and make a difference.  My wife has never been happy with the sound and vibration of these pumps in both the 320 and the 400, but unfortunately she has exceptional hearing so it’s more noticeable.  I have some extra time now that we are back home and I’m going to look at the pump area more closely and see if that area can be better sound proofed to at least muffle or deaden the noise emanating out from the compartment.   
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ