Options

Water Pump Keeps Running

I was wondering if anyone had experienced an issue with the 12 V water pump continuing to run after the taps have been turned off. If I allow a full flow of water, the pump changes sound and when shut off the pump stops within 10-20 seconds. If I only open the tap slightly the pump continues even after the tap is turned off. The same issue occurs when flushing the toilet. I have a full tank of water and am plugged in to shore power so the voltage to the pump is good. Note that this is a new T@B and this is the first use to the fresh water system. 

I do get a good flow, so I am not expecting its an issue with the pick-up. Once the pump turns off, it stays off, so I am not seeing it as an issue with a leak or open drain valve. All of the by-pass and drain valves are in the correct positions.
Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Mine seemed to act goofy when I first got the T@B and made a heck of a racket to boot. Once used for awhile it settled down. It seems to keep things pressurized and runs every now and then on it's own without me touching faucets or anything (pump switch has to be on of course).
  • Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    mawebb said:
    ... I have a full tank of water and am plugged in to shore power so the voltage to the pump is good. Note that this is a new T@B and this is the first use to the fresh water system...
    You mention connected to shore power.  For you, does this also mean connected to city water? We have a 2013 T@B without the shower.  For our setup, when connected to city water we don't need to use the 12v pump.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    It is my understanding that the pump pressurizes the system and does not pump water. Therefore when you open a valve you drop the pressurs which triggers the pump. When you shut it off the pump pressurizes the system and shuts off. On city water you do not use the pump.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    It is my understanding that the pump pressurizes the system and does not pump water. Therefore when you open a valve you drop the pressurs which triggers the pump. When you shut it off the pump pressurizes the system and shuts off. On city water you do not use the pump.
    The pump does pump water and maintains a pressure only downstream of the pump (to the taps) and not the entire system.  Some systems may have a small accumulator tank that helps maintain water flow, but I don't believe this is the case with T@Bs. If there is a leak past the pump then the pump will continually cycle.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    I was not connected to city water when I was experiencing issues with the pump continuing to run. I did test the city water connection but at that time was not using the pump. 

In in doing a bit of research it is possible that the pick up tube going to the tank may have a loose connection and may be allowing the pump to take on air, which will have an impact on its ability to create the necessary pressure on the output to trigger the pressure switch. It could be a loose pipe clamp on the tank. I will check it when I get a chance. 
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    Tasha_JasperTasha_Jasper Member Posts: 10
    Hi just wondering if you resolved this issue in the end? I have a pump that keeps running even when the tap is switched off so I have to manually disconnect it. I have replaced the pump as I thought perhaps the old one was letting in air but still have the same problem. I've been told that I can have a switch installed but I'd really like to not have to open the cupboard to switch the tap on and off every time I want to use it. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm in Australia where no one knows anything about these trailers :anguished:
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    Not sure if this specific problem ever got resolved, but I experienced the exact same thing on my first trip this year. Air in the lines remains the primary suspect--this more recent thread has several tips on how you might tackle the issue:

http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/2547/water-pump-issue-solved-2016-t-b-q-max-outback-edition#latest

2015 T@B S