Subaru Outback 2.5i

Hi, I am new to this forum, so if this question has been answered please direct me. We have a Subaru Outback 4 cylinder towing a T@B Max S. I have heard comments to the effect that the Outback is not really an appropriate TV. Since we intend to travel nation wide for several months this coming winter, as we used to do with our combination Yukon/Keystone Passport (26 ft), I would appreciate any comments and experiences with the same combination Outback/T@B.
Ellen & Richard Lacroix | 2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude V6 | T@B Max S 2017

Comments

• JannonJannon Member Posts: 50
    So.... you're not going to want to hear this, but i had a 2017 Outback 4 cyl. and picked up my CS-S T@B in Santa Fe from Denver.  Had a 7 pin wiring and brake controller installed and was optimistic.  Took Hwy 25 which was mostly flat.... it did pull OK; however, it was at high RPMs and sounded like it was working way too hard most of the trip.  I REALLY wanted it to work.  The Subaru was 4 months old.  It took double the gas on the way home and again, it worked...but was S L O W and took a while to get up to speed. 

if it was just a part time ride... i'd have lived with it.  But i plan to take it on the road full time for a while next year....so I traded in my Outback for a Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 Hemi.
  • richardlacroixrichardlacroix Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for the message, Jannon. Will try to prevent your experience. Am actually looking at a used Honda Pilot.
  • BillReddingBillRedding Member Posts: 26
    edited July 2017
    @Jannon:   May I shout "Amen!" to your inspiring sermon -- I mean response!  ;-)

@ richardlacroix:   Yes, a "used Pilot" would clearly be better but be sure you check whatever year Pilots you have on your Short List for their respective towing stats as they may vary.

For personal example, I have a 2016 Pilot (AWD), but earlier models tow a bit less. And IIRC, a FWD Pilot tows way less than an AWD model.

And of course, try to find one that ALREADY has a so-called "tow-package) installed (including transmission cooler) or else you won't get the max towing capacity you would otherwise. If you have to ADD those things to a used pilot without them, then it's going to cost a few hundred $$ (parts & labor) to do so...unless you DIY and then it's just the cost of the parts. An OEM "tow package" (like I have) installed by a Honda dealer (so it's under the Pilot's new-car warranty) would be WAY more $$ than that.

Good luck,

-- BR

• KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    edited July 2017
    We were disappointed with the towing ability of our 2009 Honda Pilot. Terrible on gas, screaming high revs going up hills and just the feeling it could fail at any time.This was the top of line Touring model with the factory installed tow package rated at 4500 lbs. It didn't fail but we knew we wanted something better suited to towing. The new model Pilot started in 2016 with better transmissions and an upgraded engine with direct injection.This engine has more torque and HP than the old model and has peak torque at 700 RPM lower than our 2009. If you are serious about a pilot a 2016 or newer model is the only Pilot to consider.We still have our old Pilot but use a Ford Transit van for towing.
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • friedenrfriedenr Member Posts: 3
    We have the same combination of a  2015 2.5i Subaru and a  2016 Tab MaxS.     We live in Northern California with plenty of hills and my experience is to keep the speed below 60mph for better gas mileage (19-20) and less engine noise.   Our experience over five or six trips has been excellent.   We are headed up to Oregon for the Solar Eclipse and I am not concerned about the Subaru performance.    
    Thanks all for the comments. I have just traded the Subaru for a 2015 Cherokee Latitude V6 that came with an engine oil cooler and a transmission oil cooler. I will make it ready for towing by installing what the manual calls "trailer tow package". Does anybody know what this package contains?
  • BillReddingBillRedding Member Posts: 26
    edited July 2017
    @richardlacroix:   This PDF "Jeep Window Sticker" MIGHT give you the correct answer, but I'm not sure. May be worth looking at though as the sticker shows a "Trailer Tow Group" ($495) -- under "Optional Equipment" -- that might be the "trailer tow package" you're asking about:

https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C4PJMCS3FW588742

If not, then a trip to your Jeep dealer may be in order to find out exactly what it is.

Good luck,

-- BR
    Thanks Bill!
  • tabtravelertabtraveler Member Posts: 4
    I have CS-S and 2013 Subaru Outback.
    It was very helpful for me to read 2013 Subaru Outback manual.
    Yes it's not most powerfull TV for my T@B but it works if I tow 5-10 times per year.
    For example the manual tells if you tow up hill your speed shouldn't be more than 45 mph.
    There are many other recommendations and limitations which help you to save your TV.
    If you do full time camping you might look different TV.
  • TabbieannecamperTabbieannecamper Member Posts: 32

@richardlacroix: We have a 2015 Max-X and towed it with a 2012 Subaru Outback 6-speed manual for two seasons. The outback although a wonderful vehicle is not designed to be a tow vehicle for long camping trips. The CVT transmission that is installed in most cars today is not designed to tow small campers or trailers for that matter. Auto manufacturers will not cover the CVT under warranty if they can show the vehicle was used as a TV that caused the transmission to fail. The CVT is also VERY expensive to repair, (if that is possible), or replace. We bought a newer Toyota 4-runner for out TV. You should get something with a v-6 equipped with a factory tow package. Good Luck.

Gary 

Hi, thanks to all for your comments. Our Subaru Outback was pulling the T@B all right but was obviously struggling, good for a few short trips but not satisfactory for the long haul. As we intend to go camping in the south for several months during the New England winter we were forced to look for a more reliable TV.

On the Jeep forum I learned that Chrysler does not recognize any after market hitch etc. installation. As a result, any Jeep vehicle without the factory tow package remains limited to 2000 lbs towing capacity, irrespective of what is added by dealer or owner. Any Jeep with the factory tow package, now $795 on a new vehicle, will have an authorized towing capacity of 4500 lbs and a commensurately high maximum tongue weight. In consequence, we acquired a 2015 Jeep Cherokee with a V6 engine and the factory installed towing package. Happy camping to all.

Richard Lacroix
  • T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    I made a similar switch two years ago and can report over 13,000 incident-free miles since.   Very happy with the Jeep Cherokee with tow package.
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • brookingsbrookings Member Posts: 39
    I have a 2009 outback with the old solid tranny. Just bought a Tab 320 S. Drove it 80 miles from dealer on freeway and got 17mpg. Today I drove it in the mountains, curvy small roads, city and 10% freeway. 17.5. I take it easy. Gear down and keep the revs below 5000. Yea, I could use more power but I love my outback with only 50k and the best all wheel drive. backing the trailer uphill on gravel. There's a reason it has the highest resale value of ANY car. 
  • JeffDeMelloJeffDeMello Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2019
    I have a 2018 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited with the CVT.  I'm considering purchasing a T@B 320 S.  It's been a year+ since the last post here ... I was wondering if any of you who are driving an Outback towing a 320 have any updates, good or bad?  Thanks in advance!
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    I have a 2018 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited with the CVT.  I'm considering purchasing a T@B 320 S.  It's been a year+ since the last post here ... I was wondering if any of you who are driving an Outback towing a 320 have any updates, good or bad?  Thanks in advance!

There are people towing with the 2.5i with CVT who swear it does fine. I can’t see it unless you simply never have to cross a mountain pass. I have the 2015 3.6r, and that coped OK with the two 3-4000’ passes it needed to cross on my most recent trip...but it was straining enough that I can’t see traveling extensively with it long term. 

Another issue besides the engine is that ALL Outbacks prior to the upcoming 2020 model have a 200 lb tongue weight limit. Since dry weight on the 320 runs around 1800-1900 pounds, you’re already close to that 200 limit without adding a thing to it. You’ll quickly find yourself unable to keep your tongue weight at the minimum recommended 10% of total trailer weight, which will negatively impact sway and handling.

Then there’s the question of towing with a CVT. Durability is still in question, and whether or not the Subaru warranty will cover CVT damage on an Outback that has been used for towing is also in doubt. I set aside the $6k average cost for a replacement CVT the day I decided to tow a T@b with it, knowing I was taking a risk.

Can it be done? Yes. Should it? There are better tow vehicles (including the 2020 Outback). I’ll be limiting my towing for the next year or two until I’m ready to trade in the Outback on something a bit beefier.

(That said, was at a T@b rally this weekend, and saw at least half a dozen Outbacks towing, not all of them using the 3.6 Like I said, people do it. Older T@bs do weigh less than newer ones, and regular 320 models are lighter both overall and on the tongue than the Boondock models.)
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    People do it, but I wouldn't expect great longevity for the car, especially transmission.  We've used our 2014 3.6 (pre CVT) a few times to pull the T@b, and transmission temps were not good. No warning lights, but I monitored with a Bluetooth device and temps were hard to keep down.

We like to keep cars to 200k + miles, if this was our primary TV I don't think it would make it.  
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra