Options

Thermacell use

jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
Have been using the thermacell radius with success but now that we’ve put the awning on for the first time, I’m wondering if it’s ok to use under the awning. I’m thinking that there’s plenty of airflow with the flaps up at least. Opinions?
John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

Comments

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    edited July 2019
    @jgram2, I'm thinking the more concentration under the awning the better. With the full front open and the flaps up I personally don't think there's much risk, however, keep in mind I come at this with a skewed perspective. I have 5 terminal diagnosis. For me, 1, 2 or 3 more won't matter in the least. What a blessing. I don't have to watch my cholesterol, I can eat all the pasta (without any seasoning or sauce) I want. Bread (to an extent) is my friend, and my cardiologist wants my blood sugar higher than normal, so any candy without potassium, sodium or phosphorus is allowed. He said he doesn't care if I eat a 3 lb bag of skittles every day. YMMV!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
    We love our Thermacell and frequently use it with success with the visor. We also use it with an awning and in extreme situations have used it in our Clam. IMHO there is enough airflow that there is minimal risk. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    Thanks @dragonsdofly and @DenisP! Heck! I may live dangerously and use it with the flaps down!

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Under normal circumstances the Thermacell works great.  However on our way up to Alaska in 2015 we were sitting outside in Michigan’s upper peninsula as the sun was setting and watched a swarm of mosquitos pick one of our Thermacell units up, flew off to the edge of our campsite and devoured it in about 5 minutes flat. 
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    @Michigan_Mike But what did you all use for the big flies in Alaska?

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    C'mon, Mike--you didn't pay attention to the signs, did you?

2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    This has been a particularly bad mosquito year in the northeast. A recent trip even topped the Adirondacks in June for bug density!
    Fortunately, the retrofitted bug fuzz in the window screens along with the homemade screen panel and skirt for the awning provided some sanctuary--provided you never opened the door to go in or out...
    I think I'll be ordering up one (or ten) of those Thermacells. I can't imagine they are more obnoxious than a citronella candle, and I agree with dragonsdofly that it would likely be most effective concentrated under the awning.
    IIRC there are different models. anyone have any particular recommendation or preference for which would be the best choice?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    jgram2 said:
    @Michigan_Mike But what did you all use for the big flies in Alaska?
    Actually the bugs up in Alaska were pretty much non-existent when we were there.  But the wine might have factored into that too.  🤣
  • Options
    ScottG said:
    C'mon, Mike--you didn't pay attention to the signs, did you?

Gosh, might have driven right past them!!!?  😀
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    There's a new Thermacell "scent" instead of the regular one. It's called an earthy scent. The Thermacell is still emitting a pyrethrin derivative, so do not use in an enclosed area and do not put your face over it to see if it's working. Holding your hand over it to see if it's warm is good enough. :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    edited July 2019
    @Michigan_Mike, really? That wasn't a swarm of mosquitoes, simply a small flock of the state's official (blood sucking) bird. And, living here, you should know that! Shame, shame on your grade school teachers for not having taught you well! Had you paid attention,  you would have heard their call "bzzzzzz, bzzzzzzz, mzzzzzz" in your ear.

P.S. we use the Thermacell MR150. 15' radius coverage. Very effective under our 15' Coleman point Loma dome (thanks @Dalehelman). One machine placed on the ground, near center keeps the biting things away. That especially includes biting flies and horse flies. Spent the holiday weekend at a campground/horse ranch. Our boys being in the swimming pool didn't dissuade the biting horse flies. When the kids surfaced to get a breath of air they were beset by biting flies of several persuasions. However after the first bite I got, we set up the thermacell under the dome and all biting creatures stayed away. We went through almost a dozen pads and several butane cartridges, but had a nearly bug free stay. HALLELUJAH! 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I have one that looks like a lantern. It has a flickering light LED and a regular soft yellow constant LED. On it's top is where you put the pad. Butane cartridges are easy to insert. It's great to put a little out of the way behind our chairs (on the ground). The light helps me get back to my campsite. :) I use it at home too. I have one of the original Thermacells as well. Don't sit to close to one and be careful if you are asthmatic or sensitive to pyrethrins (I'm sensitive).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Jackie_DaveJackie_Dave Member Posts: 73
    Ratkity said:
    I have one that looks like a lantern. It has a flickering light LED and a regular soft yellow constant LED. On it's top is where you put the pad. Butane cartridges are easy to insert. It's great to put a little out of the way behind our chairs (on the ground). The light helps me get back to my campsite. :) I use it at home too. I have one of the original Thermacells as well. Don't sit to close to one and be careful if you are asthmatic or sensitive to pyrethrins (I'm sensitive).
    We also have the lantern one. Works great. Works better under the awning.
    2018 T@B 320-S / 2007 Toyota Tundra
    Harpers Ferry, WV