Options

Safety chain and breakaway brake cable

2»

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    DABWCA, you also need an electric brake controller, for the newer Tabs (> = 2014).
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    ChanW said:
    DABWCA, you also need an electric brake controller, for the newer Tabs (> = 2014).
    Of course, good call
  • Options
    DABWCADABWCA Member Posts: 70
    Thanks to all who've offered great advice. My dealer will be installing a Tekonsha P3 controller and wiring through the frame on my V6 Kia Sorento, which is equipped with the factory tow package (alas only with a 4-pin connector). I've already purchased the ball, and Trimax locking hitch and coupler pins, coupler lock and locking wheel chock so should be set for security as best I can. I'll be camping in my driveway for a while but how to get out for some local trips before too long - after a little towing and backing practice.
    David -- Saint Paul, MN
    2015 T@B-L "Silver Dr@ggin" towed by 2015 Kia Sorento V6 "Don Poulan"
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Great!  I just ordered the P3 controller through Amazon, and since I already have the 7 pin plug with the 12V power lead, I can screw the controller to the tongue myself.  I triple checked the two posts you started some time ago to make sure I knew I was getting the correct one.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I used to worry a lot more than now that I've been in so many different campgrounds. Campgrounds are like really small towns, everyone notices a new arrival, what they're towing and with what. If a different vehicle backed up to hitch up and it wasn't you, it would probably cause an alert.
    Boondocking's a different animal though.
  • Options
    Verna - I hope i didn't somehow mess up with my Tekonsha model numbers in my earlier posts.  The model that mounts on the tongue is the RF (for remote frequency). The P3 is a more conventional wired unit. If your tow vehicle has a factory installed tow package you might already have a plug under your dash to connect the P3 inside your car. I ultimately decided to get the P3, though I'm not quite sure why; the RF seems like a great option for tow vehicle with cramped cockpits. 
    David -- Saint Paul, MN
  • Options
    DABWCA said:
    Verna - I hope i didn't somehow mess up with my Tekonsha model numbers in my earlier posts.  The model that mounts on the tongue is the RF (for remote frequency). The P3 is a more conventional wired unit. If your tow vehicle has a factory installed tow package you might already have a plug under your dash to connect the P3 inside your car. I ultimately decided to get the P3, though I'm not quite sure why; the RF seems like a great option for tow vehicle with cramped cockpits. 
    Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF  Sorry, David.  I'm getting the RF model.  I typed P3 without double checking.  I've done so much research......definitely the RF model.  It makes more sense for my use, although I hope my sister doesn't borrow my Tacoma very often.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna - The RF should work out great for you; perhaps a better choice for me as well as I have some close friends who seem interested in "time sharing" with me. But so long as the wiring job is done properly, the P3 will work out for me as well. It's been about a year since I first decided to special order my T@B and a surgery complication has since compromised my mobility but two days from now, the Silver Dr@gon will be home. All is good!
    David -- Saint Paul, MN
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Verna...you have a T@B....???...  B)
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    radrenradren Member Posts: 229
    This is a photo of the set up my salesman suggested I use. It is easy to set up and uses the pin from the wheel to lock the hitch and keep the dead man's brake wire and the electrical plug protected and in a safe place. He had me take pictures and for the first 20 times I hitched up, I referred to the photos. Thank you Eric of Little Guy in San Diego!! 
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    radrenradren Member Posts: 229
    Just to clarify the above pictures of my hitch set up, the brake wire is not as tight as it looks in the picture. Yes I twist the safety chains to get them to the right height above the pavement, yes I cross them. This is a 2015 CS-S model. I can attest to how well the set up works as the first time I hitched up by myself, I hadn't gotten the ball to set correctly and it popped off as I turned out onto a very busy street. The brake wire stopped the trailer quickly, also stopped the TV, safety chains worked perfectly and I had no damage and with the help of some very nice guys who stopped behind me, I was back on the road in 5 minutes. 
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    Where/how is the brake cable attached?
    The nice thing with using a pin is that you can't insert it unless the hitch is properly seated. If you can get the pin through, you're good to go. I happen to use a locking pin but functions the same.
  • Options
    hatboxhatbox Member Posts: 44
    How high do you like your chains from ground?  Also, I have the Curt Locking hitch pins but do not see a place to attach the brake cable.

Lisa and Tim

Cottonwood, Arizona

2015 Max S Sofitel--"The Hatbox"  TV: 2013 Subaru Outback and 1994 Toyota Land Cruiser aka "the Betty"

• Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    DABWCA said:
    Verna - The RF should work out great for you; perhaps a better choice for me as well as I have some close friends who seem interested in "time sharing" with me. But so long as the wiring job is done properly, the P3 will work out for me as well. It's been about a year since I first decided to special order my T@B and a surgery complication has since compromised my mobility but two days from now, the Silver Dr@gon will be home. All is good!

DABWCA said:
    DABWCA and Verna, did you finally go with the RF? Any concerns about the controller "disappearing" off the tongue? 
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    bobandcarolbobandcarol Member Posts: 17
    I use the pin that holds the jack wheel on when I take the wheel off. It fits the hitch latch perfectly.
    so do I when driving, but have a locking pin when parked..

2015 T&B CS, 2013 Subaru Outback
    Augusta, Maine
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    Patti said:
    The guy who set us up at the dealer twisted the chains to get them shorter so they didn't drag, and then crossed them before hooking them up. Is there supposed to be a problem with twisting?
    Two schools of thought on that issue; one says it's ok to twist them, the other says not to twist them. 

Take your pick.  I twist. 
  • Options
    I twist and everyone I know twists - As Chubby once sang..., Twist & Shout... And Work It On Out.
  • Options
    DABWCA and Verna, did you finally go with the RF? Any concerns about the controller "disappearing" off the tongue? 
    I went with the wireless one, Sally. My sister bought a Starcraft travel trailer and the RV place installed it on her TT with no extra charge. It worked wonderfully with the 17' TT in 7 miles of stop and go rush hour traffic. I'm impressed!  I'll use a label maker to distinguish between hers and my unit for while it's stored in the glove box.

Mine is sitting here waiting.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    I just shortened my chains up by 12 links, didn't cut the chains, just took the nuts off the bolts and moved the chain up 12 links. While I had the chains off I went to longer bolts (Grade8) and bolted up the chain ends too. The chains were much too long and I had to twist them, now I don't. Looks much better, and now I can cross them. I also use a padlock on my coupler, whether I'm towing or not, and when in storage the ends of the chains are locked by the padlock too.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Hmmm... I may try twisting.  I've been double backing the chain 4 links so it doesn't drag (the salesman last year, no longer there, just linked it up and let it drag...).  I've also put a cheap carabiner on the safety cable...doesn't take much to pull that plastic pin out...the cable is longer than the crossed chains.
    image.jpg 1001.3K

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    p.s. To Mike...I think it was you who suggested the U-bolt clamp that quiets the hitch...it works GREAT!

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    DurangoT@B, it's okay to remove the metal tags from your chains  ;)

I also use an anti-rattle "U" bolt of a slightly different style and would not tow without it. 

I adjusted my my chains by removing them and reattaching them a couple of links up the chain. No cutting and as there are only about three spare links, they don't get in the way. 

I do wish the hooks that connect to the TV were a bit larger, as they are snug going on and off the attachment loops on my TV. 
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    abenteurerabenteurer Member Posts: 72

Twisted chains are not as strong as untwisted chains.  Adjusting chain length by repositioning the hook is best. 

mawebb, I have the same problem with attaching the chains to my Explorer. The attachment loops are large.  I'm going to find larger hooks to attach to the chains.

2016 T@B M@x S | 2015 Grand Cherokee 5.7L HEMI (awesome) with factory tow pkg | 2017 Wrangler Sahara (awesome) 4-dr with factory max tow pkg
  • Options
    DennisHemingwayDennisHemingway Member Posts: 37

My wife just got a new Jeep Cherokee, I wanted to see how it towed (Great 18 MPG) but the safety chains were too short so I had to add 1 1/2 ft to each side and to the brake cable.

2015 Jeep Cherokee tow Vehicle. 

Barstow, CA