Options

Attaching a tarp for an awning to the keder rail

LittleBoyBlueLittleBoyBlue Member Posts: 22
I originally attached a tarp to the keder rail of my t@b 320 using some poly rope with a knot that fit in the slot.  It worked fine but wanted to add a larger tarp to connect to my new Clam screen room to the t@b.  This time I found that using some 1/4" nylon clamps from Lowes fit perfectly in the keder rail.  I attached the clamps to the tarp at the grommets with a nylon cable tie and it worked perfectly.  Part number from Lowes for the clamps is Item # 139498 Model # 881298 Hillman 12-Pack Full Clamp. $1.08 for 12 of them.

Mike & Sara Ross - Panama City, Florida - mrosspc@gmail.com - 2015 Toyota Sienna - Little Boy Blue - 2018 T@B S

Comments

• Options
    DesertDwellerDesertDweller Member Posts: 129
    Thanks for this suggestion.  I used the tarp/rope method on my last outing, but will give the clamps a try. 

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite a/k/a "The D@wghouse"
    2012 Jeep Liberty KK a/k/a "Libby"
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    Search google for "Tarp Trackers" and you can see products that fit into the keder rail.   These are a nice solution, too.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    DesertDwellerDesertDweller Member Posts: 129
    @LittleBoyBlue; @pthomas745
    Have either of you been able to close the gap between the tarp and the keder rail of the T@B to avoid rain falling into the gap?  That is the one advantage I can see of using the tarp/rope method.  When I used that method during my last T@B outing, there was no rain leakage during an afternoon thunderstorm as the tarp was held tight to the rail.  
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite a/k/a "The D@wghouse"
    2012 Jeep Liberty KK a/k/a "Libby"
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    Nope, mine always has gaps. That is the advantage of the keder rope.  I suppose a whole solid line of "clips" would work, if you had the patience to feed all of them into the rail.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    LittleBoyBlueLittleBoyBlue Member Posts: 22
    6 clips on a 10ft tarp took be less than a minute to thread the keder rail.  Gap is not an issue for me. Less than 1/16th of an inch.  Outer edge needs obviously be lower than the keder rail or some water might wick through. There's always more than one way to solve a problem.  The rope method is no doubt the best I would agree.
    Mike & Sara Ross - Panama City, Florida - mrosspc@gmail.com - 2015 Toyota Sienna - Little Boy Blue - 2018 T@B S

• Options
    CampwiseCampwise Member Posts: 21
    edited August 2019
    One option to eliminate gaps could be to buy fabric covered keder "rope" and sew a tarp to it.  Sailrite has 5/16" Keder Awning Rope in white or black @ $1.20 per foot.  My 320S railing measures 175" - which would come to $18 or so plus shipping for a tarp if using the whole rail length.  The sewn edge could be coated with seam sealer. 
    I ordered this product today to make a holder for twinkle or rope lights, to which I'll hand sew Once 'N Forever Clips available online, and hope it works! 
    From Sailrite: "Heavy duty coated polyester fabric is welded to a hard round PVC core material making it less likely to pull free from the track. Use with Keder Rail Strip for fabric-to-fabric applications."

2018 320S - 2017 V6 Toyota Highlander - Port Townsend WA
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    The Keder rope is definitely worth the price.  As long as you have a sturdy sewing machine that can go thru the flat part of the rope and the tarp or whatever material you choose.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    I bought a 15’ length of keder rail from Amazon and used my regular sewing machine. You may want to seal or cover the stitching to keep heavy rain from coming through. I used duct tape in a pinch, then Gorilla tape this summer. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    2manyplaces2manyplaces Member Posts: 20
    Has anyone used a waterproof fabric to make the awning and if so what did you use ? Please!!
    2018 320S
    Vancouver Island.

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @2manyplaces, a lot of folks here have actually made their own visor or xl visor for the t@b 320. The xl visor is usable on the 400 also. Any good quality outdoor fabric is usable. I know that some have made their visors from Sunbrella fabric. The exterior fabrics are water resistant, not water proof, but, an annual fabric treatment applied as directed can make the visor nearly completely water proof. These treatments are the kind you'd use on tent fabric to help enhance its ability to shed water and withstand inclement weather. There is a pattern here on the forum to make your own visor. Not sure which model it is for, but if you're the least bit crafty, you can adjust the measurements. 
    Ok resident experts, turning this over to you! 
    Chime in!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    @2manyplaces I’m not sure what you asked about, but here’s what I used:

Keder

4.4 out of 5 stars

Reviews

Keder - 8.5mm (5/16") Welded Flap, Standard, Black - 15 Feet

15 99 

2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    deucedeuce Member Posts: 47
    Re: Keder Rail

Just picked up my Walker for the 320 in Sugar Creek this afternoon.

The long strip of plastic I just reinstalled now comes out?

The whole strip has screwheads the entire length about 10 inches apart. Don’t those come in to play as you slide the ridge on the tarp through?
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    That’s not the keder rail.  The keder rail projects from the side of the TaB.  That black strip needs to be glued back in place.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio