Options

Going from shore power to battery power? How?

Is there something you have to do to make that happen? Or does it automatically switch to battery power?

Comments

• Options
    tpurr02tpurr02 Member Posts: 49
    Just unplug and it happens automatically for the lights and fan.  For the fridge, you have to turn the dial to battery.  That's it!
  • Options
    KatsKats Member Posts: 95
    Thanks so much! We haven't had to run without hook-ups before.
    Just found out that the line that connects to our propane has a leaky valve, so I guess we won't be using that until we get a replacement for our never-used-before line. 
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    Help-I'm confused.  I have always used shore power but will be relying on battery soon. When I turn on lights in my tab-nothing happens. Does that mean the battery is dead or should I be switching something on?1
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Cbanhill, sounds like a dead battery, although never rule out a blown fuse somewhere! You can try turning on your TV and plugging in the 7 way to see if your lights will work. If so, dead battery.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    As Jenn mentioned, check the 12v fuses. I had one blown shortly after getting my T@B and it had me stumped as I really didn't know the T@B systems yet and didn't even think "fuses"
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    Thx for the info. After plugging into my house with the pigtail, lights work. Stupid question, will plugging into the house overnight recharge the battery?
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    Yes if everything is functioning correctly. 

Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    Yep, it'll recharge it unless the battery has gotten so low it won't take a charge that way. If it doesn't you can try charging it with a traditional battery charger - may take some time. If that doesn't work you might have to take it in and have it tested, could be shot depending on how old it is.
  • Options
    hatboxhatbox Member Posts: 44
    Listen for the converter fan in the t@b after you hook in shore power.  If the battery is charging, the fan will run until it's charged up.  If it's the battery fuse, no fan will come on because battery not charging.  (Learned this last week)  :)

Lisa and Tim

Cottonwood, Arizona

2015 Max S Sofitel--"The Hatbox"  TV: 2013 Subaru Outback and 1994 Toyota Land Cruiser aka "the Betty"

• Options
    Oh ya, there's that fuse possibility.
  • Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    There have been many discussions regarding the battery and the fact that unless you disconnect when storing the T@B, your battry will be drained over a period of time as there is always a draw, even when nothing is turned on. If the battery has been severely drained, it may take some effort to recover it, otherwise it's time for a new battery. Given this issue, there should be a battery disconnect switch supplied with the standard build as it is really a necessity. 
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    mawebb said:
    There have been many discussions regarding the battery and the fact that unless you disconnect when storing the T@B, your battry will be drained over a period of time as there is always a draw, even when nothing is turned on. If the battery has been severely drained, it may take some effort to recover it, otherwise it's time for a new battery. Given this issue, there should be a battery disconnect switch supplied with the standard build as it is really a necessity. 

That is a reasonable notion. From a fit and finish perspective, I am sure the factory could do a better job than I could.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014