Backup Camera Now Standard?

Our 2020 T@B 400 came in with a backup camera installed.  We didn’t order one and thought it was a mistake, but I was told yesterday by the dealer that they are standard equipment now.  Not sure about that, but oh well.  I have a spotter/spouse, so I’m not sure what benefit it provides, but might as well try it out.

Comments

• Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    If it has a record feature, your spotter/spouse can now replay those times you didn't follow his or her directions properly.  You'll also be able to see behind the trailer while in transit - a great feature.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    • Per the nuCamprv.com 400 Base Package specs it is standard for units built after 7/1/19

• Wireless Rear View Camera (Units Built After 7/1/19)
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @TNOutback - how about a picture and brand name.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    No discernible brand name that I can tell. Screen looks similar to what an older Garmin gps looked like, maybe 4.5 inches diagonal. I might as well hook it up and give it a try. 
  • jameskuzmanjameskuzman Member Posts: 140
    edited September 2019
    Our 2019 came with a Furrion because the person who initially ordered it had it dealer installed, then upon seeing the size of the 400 in person, opted for a 320. Even with a spotter, it’s a great tool. Since’s it’s really a rear-facing camera and not a backup camera (that is, it’s on full time) it makes a great replacement for a rear view mirror on the road; I can’t imagine not being able to see what’s behind me. Another benefit is if you take the monitor out of the car and put it in the camper at night, you can eyeball what’s going on around back for a little extra piece of mind. 
    Jim Kuzman, Girard OH - 2019 T@B 400 - TV 2019 Volkswagen Atlas SE 4Motion w/ Factory Tow Package
  • ecstaticecstatic Member Posts: 65
    Yes, we took delivery of ours yesterday and the camera came with.  I have not hooked up the monitor yet to see if it is just wired to the reverse lights or if it is always on.
    2020 T@B 400 BDL    2019 Silverado 5.3L V8
    Chili, NY
    Well, I’m stuck with setting up the wireless camera.  The on-screen instructions are telling me to pair the screen to the camera by hitting the “smart button” on the wire attached to the camera.  That wire goes into the camper behind the license plate and I have no idea where it goes from there nor how to access it to push the sync button.
    I sent Creed an email and he responded very quickly, saying the wire with the pairing button on it is tucked behind the horizontal upholstery piece running across the wall behind the bed, which would also be the venting gap for the Alde heater. Should be able to reach and fish it out.  
  • grsiepkagrsiepka Member Posts: 58
    Hmm we took delivery 8/24 on a 2020 T@B400 Boondock and did not get a backup camera. Ours is #540. Must have been built before 7/1?  That looks like one that mounts on the license plate? 
    2020 T@B 400 Boondock Lite - 2018 Toyota Tundra Platinum - Tempe AZ
    It is mounted to a license plate bracket. Ours is #936
  • SnappytoesSnappytoes Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2019
    We took delivery in August and were pleasantly surprised to see that it was installed.  Be sure to turn on your TV lights to activate the camera.  It’s nice to have but I actually find it a distraction when driving.  
    We took delivery in August and were pleasantly surprised to see that it was installed.  Be sure to turn on your TV lights to activate the camera.  It’s nice to have but I actually find it a distraction when driving.  
    So you didn’t have to pair the screen to the camera?
  • SnappytoesSnappytoes Member Posts: 5
    Yes.  It didn’t pair at first but Sean at Vogels RV got it working after talking to Creed.  It had something to do with the wiring.  I wish I could be more specific but now it works flawlessly.
    Creed did respond to say that it is wired into the taillights for power, so the lights have to be on (tow vehicle connected) before the camera is powered.
  • rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 484
    Our 2020 T@B 400 was made prior to the camera installation.  I'm interested in retro-fitting one, which I'd run all the time when traveling.  Can anyone tell me if these cameras shine visible light at night time?  I'm concerned about any vehicles behind my trailer being irritated by such lights.  Or are the lights aimed down enough for it not to be a problem?
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @rh5555 I don't have one, but almost all dash cams, etc use an infrared light for night vision (if they have any light all), so I highly doubt this camera NuCamp is using would have visible light.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • ecstaticecstatic Member Posts: 65
    rh5555 said:
    Our 2020 T@B 400 was made prior to the camera installation.  I'm interested in retro-fitting one, which I'd run all the time when traveling.  Can anyone tell me if these cameras shine visible light at night time?  I'm concerned about any vehicles behind my trailer being irritated by such lights.  Or are the lights aimed down enough for it not to be a problem?
    Dash cams and backup cameras do not shine visible light.
    2020 T@B 400 BDL    2019 Silverado 5.3L V8
    Chili, NY
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    I added one of these to my 320S.  It's solar powered.  all it is is a license plate frame.  takes 1 min to install.  no wiring needed.  it works.  $125 (but sometimes it goes on sale at costco for $99)

https://www.costco.com/Type-S-Solar-Powered-HD-Quick-Connect-Wireless-Backup-Camera.product.100425010.html
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
  • JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    morey000 said:
    I added one of these to my 320S.  It's solar powered.  all it is is a license plate frame.  takes 1 min to install.  no wiring needed.  it works.  $125 (but sometimes it goes on sale at costco for $99)

https://www.costco.com/Type-S-Solar-Powered-HD-Quick-Connect-Wireless-Backup-Camera.product.100425010.html
    This won’t fit on a 400.  Not enough clearance behind license plate light. 
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
  • DeanPDeanP Member Posts: 14
    Are any of you with the new backup cameras having issues maintaining a link between the camera and the monitor?  Ours seems to keep the link about 30% of the time.  The rest of the time the screen is blank and it says no signal.

Any ideas on improving the signal between the camera and monitor? 
    2020 T@B 400 BDL
    TV 2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 3.5L 4WD with Firestone air bags.
    MODS: BMV-712 battery Monitor, MPPT 75/15 Charge Controller, Fantasic Fan PWM control
    Central Ohio
    edited October 2019
    OK, now I'm embarrassed.  Dumb operator error.  When we picked up our 400 a few weeks ago, the salesman handed me the monitor and had me plug it into our TV and power it up.  It worked fine in the parking lot but not on the way home.  But just now, after looking through the box that it came in, I found the antenna that was supposed to be attached to the back of the monitor.

Now I guess I'm impressed that it worked at all without the antenna.
    2020 T@B 400 BDL
    MODS: BMV-712 battery Monitor, MPPT 75/15 Charge Controller, Fantasic Fan PWM control
    Central Ohio
    Finally got our backup camera working (standard on the 2020 T@B 400).  Two things I was missing was the key:  first, the short antenna must be connected to the display.  This was mentioned in the Chinese-to-English instructions, but in the “assembly” section and not in the operating section; I just missed that part.  Second, my F-150 has an “auto” lights setting for the headlights/taillights and that is what I leave it in.  However, the backup camera requires you to use the manual “lights on” setting in order to power the camera.  Once I connected the antenna and switched the lights to “on” instead of “auto”, the camera began working.
  • ecyfotoecyfoto Member Posts: 83
    I had asked if a camera was an option for my special ordered 2019 400 and was told no (bummer) so I bought an aftermarket wireless. Some connectivity dropout at highway speeds but solved that with a bit of electrical tape to keep the antenna from moving. I'd like to here about factory camera performance at highway speeds. Might order one as a replacement. Thanks, all.
    2019 T@B 400 Silver/Black
    2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax oil burner
    Tampa, Florida
    @ecyfoto We're making a 2 hr run with ours tomorrow, most of that at highway speeds.  Now that our antenna is installed, I expect all will be good.  I'll let you know how it performs.
    2020 T@B 400 BDL
    Central Ohio
    @ecyfoto we made our 2 hr trip yesterday, typically running around 65 mph.  The camera never dropped the signal once.  What I will say is that it is a "backup" camera, not a "rear view" camera.  What I mean by that is that it was hard for me to see if there was another vehicle behind me unless it was right on my bumper.  The camera has a very wide angle lens which works great as a backup camera, but not as well for me as a rear view camera.  I will be looking for a better place to mount the monitor in my TV that will allow a better view of it as I'm driving.  That may help a bit.  Otherwise, it worked great!
    2020 T@B 400 BDL
    Central Ohio
  • rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 484
    Our TAB400 was a pre-camera version too, and I installed my own camera after discovering that wing mirror extensions really nailed our fuel economy.  I mounted it just below the star-gazer window using anchors and 2-sided tape:

I then ran a video and power through a 10' extension so that the transmitter can sit in the front window of the trailer and the camera gets power from the 12V "cigarette lighter" power outlet.  We only have it all hooked up when traveling, though the camera remains mounted, and its short cord dangles inside the trailer.
    Lessons learned:
    1. Don't get a wide-angle camera - you can barely see any car following you - get the narrowest angle camera you can find
    2. Verify that the camera uses infra-red to illuminate at night so you don't bother traffic that is following you.  Our first camera (similar to this) used bright white LEDs
    3. Don't get a replacement rear-view mirror type display if you use reading glasses:  I thought it would be neat to look in my rear-view mirror to see behind the trailer, but I forget that I'll need to focus on the actual screen, not a reflected image.  I should have had a low-mounted screen so I could look down (through my reading glasses) to easily focus on it.
    4. Having the transmitter at the front of the trailer is convenient for 12V power and we've not had any problems with signals dropping out.  I don't know if this is really necessary.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • ecyfotoecyfoto Member Posts: 83
    DeanP said:
    @ecyfoto we made our 2 hr trip yesterday, typically running around 65 mph.  The camera never dropped the signal once.  What I will say is that it is a "backup" camera, not a "rear view" camera.  What I mean by that is that it was hard for me to see if there was another vehicle behind me unless it was right on my bumper.  The camera has a very wide angle lens which works great as a backup camera, but not as well for me as a rear view camera.  I will be looking for a better place to mount the monitor in my TV that will allow a better view of it as I'm driving.  That may help a bit.  Otherwise, it worked great!
    Mine is wide angle too but still a great tool to see all around the rear of the trailer and once you get used to it will become a reference for approaching vehicles. I also travel with the front and rear trailer windows' blinds open. I can see straight through the trailer in my TV's rear view mirror. Everything helps.
    2019 T@B 400 Silver/Black
    2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax oil burner
    Tampa, Florida
    ecyfoto said:
    Mine is wide angle too but still a great tool to see all around the rear of the trailer and once you get used to it will become a reference for approaching vehicles. I also travel with the front and rear trailer windows' blinds open. I can see straight through the trailer in my TV's rear view mirror. Everything helps.
    @ecyfoto I agree!  We used ours for the second time today and I finally was able to mount the monitor where I had a good view of it.  I'm a poor judge of distance, so I found it REALLY useful in determining when I was past a vehicle far enough in the left or right lane so I could merge over.  I won't trailer without it.
    2020 T@B 400 BDL
    Central Ohio
  • rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 178
    Like some on here. Got a solar powered wireless camera at Costco today. They only had the wide angle one so a little more expensive ($160) but no wiring. Leaving solar powered license plate frame camera out in sun to charge and plugged in monitor to charge overnight before installing. Seems pretty simple, just put on license plate frame, plug monitor into 12v socket and pair and good to go.
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods
  • rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 178
    Wasn't happy with solar powered one from Costco. I want one that acts as a review mirror when I'm going down the road. The Costco only seems to come on when you wave in front of it and then times out after 90sec. I have a Garmin GPS so decided to get the wireless one from garmin that works with their GPS. It's wireless from transmitter hooked up to camera to receiver in tow vehicle. Still have to wire the transmitter to a power source to power the camera. Has anyone installed one before? I could wire to the license plate light but need a place to put wire, fuse and transmitter too.
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods