Inspection Holes in Frame

Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
What are these for? Can they be permanently covered up?

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.

Comments

• DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    I covered them a year ago. No problems, no critters. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • suramsuram Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2019 320 S- do I have this inspection hole? And it's open from outside to camper? Beginner here...  Thanks
    2019 pre-owned T@B 320 S, Alde 3020
    TV 2018 Toyota Highlander 3.5L v6
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    I believe those holes are only on the 400 frame. I don't have them on my 320. Regardless, they don't open into the camper, only into the space between the frame elements.
    It's unclear to me if they are really inspection holes or just a way to cut down on materials/weight on the larger trailer frames.
    2015 T@B S
  • dCliffhangerdCliffhanger Member Posts: 120
    I have these openings on my 2020 320S Boondock
    Ron\ 2020 T@B 320-S Boondock Edge; Roof Solar, Firefly Grp31 Carbon Foam Battery; TV: 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 3.6l V6; Madison, Wi
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    Hmmm, maybe I do have them but have never taken note of them. I don't have the plastic underbelly cover, so in my case no holes are needed to inspect any of the underfloor mechanicals.
    2015 T@B S
  • ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 270
    They are holes to lighten the frame. Before anyone thinks they weaken the trailer, they don't The "rim" around the hole adds the strength back. When building race cars, they call that adding lightness.
    2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole
  • TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    I’m thinking of covering these openings twice:  some sort of bug screen like @DenisP, and then again with maybe good ol’ black duct tape.  The tape should keep road dust out of the “basement”, and maybe minimally, cut down on cold air flowing through on those colder camping nights when it’s getting close to freezing.

Anyone see a reason why not?
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    I'm in  the process of adding insulation to the underbelly and will be covering these holes.  I'm going to put a small vent at the rear and one at the front to let any propane gas escape.  While there are no propane devices in the underbelly, there are several pipe connections.  If one ever started to leak, I wouldn't want the gas to accumulate in an enclosed area.
    Tabaz said:
    I'm in  the process of adding insulation to the underbelly and will be covering these holes.  I'm going to put a small vent at the rear and one at the front to let any propane gas escape.  While there are no propane devices in the underbelly, there are several pipe connections.  If one ever started to leak, I wouldn't want the gas to accumulate in an enclosed area.
    I too am considering basement insulation strategies to extend full liquid operations during colder weather. I've found that tank heating elements draw too much current to allow use off-grid. I'm exploring the idea of running Alde lines and radiators down under, in combination with insulation. I wonder if others have tried this?
    Ron\ 2020 T@B 320-S Boondock Edge; Roof Solar, Firefly Grp31 Carbon Foam Battery; TV: 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 3.6l V6; Madison, Wi
    Cliffhanger - GregH is the first one to add Alde mini-convectors in the "basement."  I just connected the lines with 4 mini-convectors and a PEX line to the dump drains.  Will fill the system today and check for leaks.  Photos coming coming this weekend if it works out.
    Tabaz said:
    Cliffhanger - GregH is the first one to add Alde mini-convectors in the "basement."  I just connected the lines with 4 mini-convectors and a PEX line to the dump drains.  Will fill the system today and check for leaks.  Photos coming coming this weekend if it works out.
    That's great to hear this is being explored. I had asked my dealer and Austin about it but they hadn't heard of it though thought it could be workable. I often travel to high elevations where it can drop below freezing and I want to be able to have flowing water during the Fall and Early Spring. I've been thinking mostly of keeping the Fresh and Gray tanks liquid. I think the Black tank in my 320 is in, semi-interior space and I can use antifreeze to keep it functional. I've read where others have put heaters on the exposed drain valves and turn them on only before emptying so there isn't a huge battery drain. This might make a good separate topic to share ideas and follow progress on.
    Just posted photos to gregP's "Winter Use of Our T@B" thread.
  • T_BDancingT_BDancing Member Posts: 85
    edited September 2019
    Went underneath to check out bottom of my Tab and found the same. I have a 2019 320S BdE. Not sure if I wanna drill and bolt like @DenisP, but definitely have to do something. Any suggestions?
    Tent to trailer w/TV: 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude 3.6L
    2019 Tab 320 S Boondock Edge and get me out of NYC!!!
  • DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    edited September 2019

3M double sided tape for outdoor use works well. 

2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • T_BDancingT_BDancing Member Posts: 85
    Thanks for the tip, @DenisP. Drop a few moth balls in there may stop bugs and critters from going in. But to prevent dust, road dirt and other debris, I think it's better to follow your method and cover it. IMHO.
    Tent to trailer w/TV: 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude 3.6L
    2019 Tab 320 S Boondock Edge and get me out of NYC!!!