How to access T@B 400 battery?

ecstaticecstatic Member Posts: 65
I tried lifting the wood access panel up at the food if the bed and it lifts a few inches but then it seems stuck on something.  I was afraid to force it, am I going about this all wrong?
2020 T@B 400 BDL    2019 Silverado 5.3L V8
Chili, NY

Comments

• falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    In various video tours I have seen of the 2020 TAB400's it appears that the center section of the under-bed area is actually two panels rather than one as in the 2019's.  The front panel is hinged with lift arms but the panel covering the batteries is screwed down.
  • Awca12aAwca12a Member Posts: 286
    From a factory tour this August.   This shows the basic framing.  Where is the panel you speak of?

F150 Pulling 2019 T@B400 BDL
  • ecstaticecstatic Member Posts: 65
    edited September 2019
    @Awca12a It is the panel over the closest right half of the bottom picture (next to where the kitchen cabinets would be and next to battery disconnect).  It is a hinged panel, is that where the battery sits now that the air 8 is in the middle, or is the battery in the rear middle panel under the screwed down panel?
    Chili, NY
    In various video tours I have seen of the 2020 TAB400's it appears that the center section of the under-bed area is actually two panels rather than one as in the 2019's.  The front panel is hinged with lift arms but the panel covering the batteries is screwed down.
    Interesting.  So the battery sounds like it's in the rear middle half now?  I didn't know if that was all just the cat 8.
    Chili, NY
  • falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    The battery on the 2020's sits behind the AC in that box with the black weatherstripping around the top edge.  The area under the panel to the left (passenger side) of the bed is accessible from the exterior hatch.  On my 2019 TAB 400 nuCamp added hinges to the rear of that panel.  However, it can't be raised more than a few inches as it hits the underside of the drop-down shelf (fixed in place on the 2020's) to the right of the stove and the shelf under the television.  I removed the hinges on mine so I could more easily access the battery by moving that panel completely out of the way.  Unfortunately, on a recent trip I met some whoop-de-doo's on the highway and that panel jumped out of position and free floated around the bed.  I'll have to figure out a way to keep it anchored down--maybe some magnets will work.
  • JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    The battery on the 2020's sits behind the AC in that box with the black weatherstripping around the top edge.  The area under the panel to the left (passenger side) of the bed is accessible from the exterior hatch.  On my 2019 TAB 400 nuCamp added hinges to the rear of that panel.  However, it can't be raised more than a few inches as it hits the underside of the drop-down shelf (fixed in place on the 2020's) to the right of the stove and the shelf under the television.  I removed the hinges on mine so I could more easily access the battery by moving that panel completely out of the way.  Unfortunately, on a recent trip I met some whoop-de-doo's on the highway and that panel jumped out of position and free floated around the bed.  I'll have to figure out a way to keep it anchored down--maybe some magnets will work.
    If there’s enough clearance, you might be able to anchor it from the underside, using something like a hook and eyelet.  Would be more sturdy than magnets and you wouldn’t have to worry about countersinking the magnets to keep the panel flush with the platform. 
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
  • HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 605
    ecstatic , Can I ask why you need access to the battery?  There should be a distribution block forward of the battery that you can access the battery leads from the battery terminals.  I just bought a 2019 400 and installed a Victron battery monitor to the distribution block instead of the battery.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Awca12aAwca12a Member Posts: 286
    Perhaps someone with a 2020 can post pictures of a finished unit.   Can't imagine the Air8 would be mounted that close to the inverter but anything is possible.
    F150 Pulling 2019 T@B400 BDL
    Horigan said:
    ecstatic , Can I ask why you need access to the battery?  There should be a distribution block forward of the battery that you can access the battery leads from the battery terminals.  I just bought a 2019 400 and installed a Victron battery monitor to the distribution block instead of the battery.
    I want to remove the batteries over the winter so I can keep them at a reasonable temperature and keep them trickle charged.  But that is good information because next spring I plan to install a Victron battery monitor as well!
    Chili, NY
  • GeetarzGeetarz Member Posts: 18
    I just brought by new T@B 400 home today, and it is cold and a bit snowy. I was hoping to remove the batteries for the winter but the dealer told me not to worry. He told me I would need to unscrew the bed platform to get to them... this makes no sense. Perhaps the small section of wall where the battery switch is located can be removed? Has anyone made a mod there so it can be accessed more easily?
    T@B 400 2020
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    AGM batteries have very limited discharge IF they are fully charged before storage and the battery switch and inverter are turned off.  No need to take out those heavy batteries.  Don’t rely on the KIB tank and battery monitor for your battery state of charge as it will over estimate.  You should at least purchase a plug in monitor if you don’t have the Victron.  You may also want to charge your batteries with a charger specific to your AGM battery specs.  Search AGM batteries for more info here.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @Geetarz, @Sharon_is_SAM is right, charge, shut off battery and enjoy winter.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite