Options

WOW! What a view!

RadRad Member Posts: 516
edited May 2015 in Camping & Travel
I travel two ways, by T@B and motorcycle.  This was a motorcycle trip I got back from yesterday.  The North Rim Lodge at the Grand Canyon offers one of the most spectacular dining experiences and views I have ever seen in my life.  There are  beautiful national Park campgrounds right there for our T@Bs.

Old man in a hat, me, enjoying the stunning morning view on the lodge deck.

Truth be told, it is a climb and a long haul to get up there, it is about 9,000' elevation.  We had heavy rain, mid thirty's temps and snow flurries on our climb to the top.

I will be back with Val and the T@B.

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Gorgeous view!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    That is incredible. Totally on my bucket list from here in Phoenix. It's part of why we got our little T@b. I can't tent camp that cold but with my new best friend Alde, this is a possibility!
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    The road to the north rim was still closed for the winter when I was in the area otherwise I would have been there :-(
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    The North Rim campground is a circus and normally full. We count on staying at the NF campground deMott (?) just north of the park. Then there is a lot of dispersed camping in the area.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    I was planning on the dispersed whenever I manage to get back that way. From the pics I've seen you can park right up next to the rim - No sleepwalking advised.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Hey pxlated 

If it is in the budget, leave that inside kitchen and eat in the 4 star restaurant in the lodge.  The food is incredible and the view is amazing. Reservations are best made way in advance.

pic pinched from the web

• Options
    Rad - Looks like a great place but I'm not good at reservations unless at the very, very last minute - I always had a tight schedule when working so avoiding any now. Trying to be as footloose as I can. There's hardly anything I consider interesting enough to have to plan too far out or stand in line for. Too many other options - if not this, then that :-)
    That may change (doubtful) but for sure not this first year out on the road.
  • Options
    PX that is true. Many great boondocking areas for free. When heading south toward N Rim past the store on left and deMottte  on right. Take next left. Just a few miles from entrance to park. Some right on the edge.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    lennscottfl - Thanks for the directions - Maybe this fall on the way back to the southern quarter of the country. Northwest quarter coming up.
  • Options
    If you are old like me admission into the park is free with that great $10.00 lifetime national park pass!
  • Options
    Old Grand Canyon story - An old buddy of mine (and fellow pilot) was living in Scottsdale so we decided to take his turbo 210 (Cessna) up and tour Monument Valley and the Grand Canyon - this was before they limited the altitude you could fly in/over the canyon. Decided to stop and take a stretch break at the GC airport. Blew a tire on landing and shut the whole airport down for over 30 minutes while they got the tow out and got us off the runway . Height of the season so the tour operators weren't happy campers :-)
  • Options
     It must have been stunning flying low in that canyon; the flat tire,not so much.
  • Options
    Yep, very pretty - Monument Vally also.
    The flat tire was actually a non event for us, we were going slow enough at that point it didn't really cause a problem except we could no longer taxi off the runway. New tire to. Never did figure out what caused the blow out. Luckily the local mechanic had one so we were out of there 2-3 hours later.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    PX that is true. Many great boondocking areas for free. When heading south toward N Rim past the store on left and deMottte  on right. Take next left. Just a few miles from entrance to park. Some right on the edge.
    Is this a road stable to tow the T@b over?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    That's gorgeous. 

Pretty amazing what we have here...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    I towed my T@DA over it, Jenn.  You just need to go very slowly. I recall it being about 5 miles to the site pictured here.  It is sites like these that cement my love of dispersed camping!  Unbelievable to have all of that gorgeousness to yourself away from all of the crowds.image
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    Lisa - Great shot... And, ya, dispersed is great even if you don't have it entirely to yourself people don't tend to pack in tight like some campgrounds or RV parks.
  • Options
    Yes jkjenn it is a pretty good dirt road. It is east of the park entrance road. To the west there are other sites that aren't scenic at all and some seem to be pretty much homesteaded. I haven't been there with the T@B but think it is very dooable. Close enough to deMotte campground for water and dump facilities.
  • Options
    Rad the last time I was there I tried to make reservations and was told I was 2 minutes too late! I showed them my watch that said I had time left and was told too bad they don't go by my watch. Food may be good, I don't know,  but from my experience their customer service is lacking.
  • Options
    Oh Rad.. when you go there look for the condors. Amazing. 
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Rad the last time I was there I tried to make reservations and was told I was 2 minutes too late! I showed them my watch that said I had time left and was told too bad they don't go by my watch. Food may be good, I don't know,  but from my experience their customer service is lacking.
    Well, it was a strange week long trip for my motorcycle buddy and me.  Everyone, from gas station folks to restaurant staff were ridiculously polity and helpful.  We thought we must have passed through some invisible Star Trek time warp and were in some parallel universe filled with overly happy people.  

Back to to the canyon, I have been to both the south rim and the north rim and by far the north rim is far more beautiful and has smaller crowds.
  • Options
    mannymanny Member Posts: 108
    Hey, Rad..  great pics of north rim..  Brings back memories we were there back in 1994.  july..  our camp site was only 50 feet to the edge..  took walks to the lodge.    was there for 4 days..  loved to go back soon since I have my lifetime pass now.  it has really changed now with MORE campers and traffic..  well get back there soon with the tab..        M@anny   2015 tab L-max..
    2017  T@B CS-S Max ...  2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E